is there any correlation to liking high proof AND liking very hot/spicy food?

393foureyedfox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

was wondering if there's any correlation. I love spicy food, the hotter the better. Im new to bourbons, and basically new to alcohol anyway. Yet, I don't care for much of anything lower than 100 proof, and find that I like the 120+ proofers. Is this unusual, or not? Seems to be a realistic assumption that if I love the hotness of foods in my mouth that i may prefer "hot" whiskeys over the standard ones.

any inputs?

I like spicy foods.

I like barrel proof / cask strength whiskies.

I like hot women.

=]b

I like a hot woman preparing hot food and don't care how she drinks her booze.

I like spicy food. I buy a lot of high proof whiskey but I don't drink it at high proof. Anything over 100 proof burns out my palate, although there are a few exceptions to this. I don't think there's much of a correlation.

The experiences are completely different for me. The heat and endorphin rush from a hot, spicy food is nothing like the palate-flooding experience I get from a high-proof whiskey. If the whiskey has too much astringency and alcohol burn it detracts from the experience whereas heat tends to add to a food experience, provided it accompanies good flavor. There's no correlation for me.

I have made this connection before and I agree with you. I think it's a bit more personal than an across the board statement.

It might just be a case where people who like spicy foods and/or extreme flavors enjoy a lot of sensory input. This type of personal preference lends itself naturally to enjoyment of high-proof alcohol.

It might just be a case where people who like spicy foods and/or extreme flavors enjoy a lot of sensory input. This type of personal preference lends itself naturally to enjoyment of high-proof alcohol.

that may be better put than the way I worded it. whereas I enjoy the kick-in-the mouth bite of say, booker's, anything below 90 proof is too watered-down for me. I like the "bite" of the higher proof stuff. Since im new to bourbons, most people find it odd that i dislike the "normal" proofers and want the high proof stuff, as its the opposite of how most people start off

Here's my 2-cents worth. As far as spicy foods: I'm not at all a fan! But;.... when it comes to barrel proof Bourbons, I've never found one I DIDN'T like, so from that, draw whatever conclusion you will. I don't slurp the high proof offerings; but rather gently sip a few times before adding some water.... usually, though sometimes I'll make a small pour last an hour without any water, depends upon my mood and how much time is available to savor the pour.

Ok, ok, horses for courses and all that, I suggest we can all agree the Barrel Proof Bourbon should be served by a Hot Woman.

Ok, ok, horses for courses and all that, I suggest we can all agree the Barrel Proof Bourbon should be served by a Hot Woman.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.