Favorite Personal Blends, or mixes, of Whiskies

WhiskyRI
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

am drinking the mambamix, 1:1 OGDBIB and RR10, right now. gotta say it is much better than most of the vattings I have tried, and might even become a regular offering in my kitchen.

Tried a new blend tonight, 75% OWA and 25% Bernheim. Interesting. I thought it may be a good mix to add in some of the smoothness of the Berheim to the OWA but it was cloyingly sweet and lost that subtle leather/wood note from the OWA. Still tasty but no where near the OWA/W12 blend.

On melding, I believe there is a difference (but I also once believed there was a Santa Claus, so take that for what it's worth). I did a blend and tasted it a few minutes later, and when I tasted it a few weeks later - I thought it was quite a bit better. What I hadn't done though, is taste side by side the same blend at different "mingling times". That might be a fun experiment - make a blend and wait a week, make another wait another week, make a third and wait an hour - then compare. My guess is that the greatest difference (which may yet be very subtle) would be between the hour and week. But I've heard others wait several weeks. My approach has been to mingle, then have a pour (I usually make a 750 mL batch, so the rest has plenty of time!)

• 3 years later...

So I was down to the last couple pours of Blanton' s and while it was one of my favorites a few years ago, as my palate has evolved it just seems like the Blanton' s doesn't have the kick nor complexity I desire of late. I decided to try my first blend / vatting. I went 2:1 Blanton' s & OGD 114... WOW! The first taste was amazing. The Blanton' s sweetness up front was more evident than ever before, but when the OGD spices kicked in I was floored... the pecan pie finish was heavenly. I can't wait to see how it is in a week or so...

1 minute ago, JTaylor said:

So I was down to the last couple pours of Blanton' s and while it was one of my favorites a few years ago, as my palate has evolved it just seems like the Blanton' s doesn't have the kick nor complexity I desire of late. I decided to try my first blend / vatting. I went 2:1 Blanton' s & OGD 114... WOW! The first taste was amazing. The Blanton' s sweetness up front was more evident than ever before, but when the OGD spices kicked in I was floored... the pecan pie finish was heavenly. I can't wait to see how it is in a week or so...

How is this thread not 1,000 pages?!?!? I think I have a new obsession... eBay, look out, I need decanters!

I am forever amazed how one finds a three year old thread to revive when I struggle to find something from last week using our search function.

I recently added ECBP and EC 21 to EC12.  Didn't measure, but guessing it was about a 10/10/80 ratio.  Very tasty.  Punched up the standard EC12.

Recent mingle I've really enjoyed is a 1:1 of 1792 FP and 1792 Port.  Both are fine whiskies in their own right, but the port was always a bit too sweet for me (and < 90 proof is a bit below what I'd prefer).  The mingle - coming in right about 107 proof, is just delicious.  I like this better than AE.  

I've been enjoying a blend of OGD 114 and WSR 50/50. I've been very surprised. Usually how I cap off the evening now.

I saw this blend this evening when this old thread resurfaced and had to give it a try. I have to agree with you. This is a very good blend! I liked it so much that I had to try it again the same evening. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/23/2016 at 7:23 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

There is vatting  thread touching on this subject. 

Thanks Joe, I checked it out and there's a lot of good info there. I found this thread searching for recipes for the SB "Blend".  "Vatting" hadn't yet become part of my bourbon vocabulary.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.