Favorite Personal Blends, or mixes, of Whiskies

WhiskyRI
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3:1 OWA to Weller12 with a splash of 120 proof Knob Creek SB works for me.

This sounds great. I do something quite similar that's worked out well. 3:1 OWA to Weller 12 plus 0.5 of FRSB. I'll have to grab some Knob Creek SB and give Sailor22's recipe a try.

And I agree with the comments noting that Weller 12 has gotten increasingly dry and thin. I wonder if this change has anything to do with its increasing availability on the West coast. This is just anecdotal, of course, but years ago when Weller 12 was nowhere to be found in California, I think it tasted different. Now it's easy to find, but not quite as desirable. Then again, maybe my taste memory is playing tricks, or perhaps BT is making the same quantity of Weller 12 and just sending it to different markets.

So, is someone going to share the Sailorman's recipe?

I believe Sailor has an interest in keeping that one to himself Squire. More than a few that much I know.

The blind tasting throwdown I just conducted with with OWA, Weller 12 and the 50/50 blend was very eye opening.

First off, the Weller 12 came across as a unpleasant bomb of wet wood and resin. This really shocked me as W12 has been my favorite daily/value pour. I'd like to blame it on a bad bottle or decrease in overall quality as this third bottle seems much thinner and unbalanced than my previous two. But the simpler explanation would be that my palate has gotten better. Either way, it feels a bit like when I found out that Santa wasn't real.

The OWA (new NAS bottle) was quite a bit better than the 12. I much preferred the sweetness of the Antique to the wood bomb 12. But I could definitely detect a mild abrasiveness to the OWA -- more burn, more corn, less wood, less complexity overall. It tasted young and unrefined.

As expected, the blend was nice combination of sweetness, woodiness and complexity. I can't gush over it because tasting all three mostly exposed the weaknesses of the source bourbons. I expect to do another tasting soon against Larceny and the Jefferson's 18 I'm hiding in the back of the cabinet.

With the last three (particular) bottles mentioned, it may well be no combination would work well, but I would try combining in proportions different than 1:1 since doing that can completely change the result. 3:1 might work better possibly, the OWA to the other. It's funny how, at least in my experience, sometimes even a few drops of one or the other changes the taste and certainly sometimes the mouthfeel. Of course there is a practical limit on how many variations you can try. :)

Gary

Individually I've preferred OWA over W12 every time, but I think I like my SB blend better than OWA. Thus far it is the only mingle I've done where I really felt the result was greater than the sum of its parts (and I have to thank SB.com for providing it - who knows how long it would have taken me to find that through random combinations!!)

I've been enjoying a blend of OGD 114 and WSR 50/50. I've been very surprised. Usually how I cap off the evening now.

I'm usually not too adventurous with inter-distillery blends, but I'm always up for mixing two drams from the same distillery. I dig the SB blend ok, but it's just different, not better, IMO.

Both of these are high-dollar blends, but they work well and for my palate are better than the individual parts:

50/50 Wild Turkey American Spirit / Tradition

50/50 Hirsch 22 rye / Hirsch 25 rye

I'm not much on vatting but I enjoy a 50/50 mix of ODG 114 and KC as well as a 50/50 mix of OGD 114 and KCSB.

I've been enjoying a "Squire" now and again. ~3:1 VOBBOB to OGDBIB. Not sure if that's the ratio I'm going to settle on as in my wheelhouse, but I'm definitely favoring a higher percentage of the Barton in the mix.

I'll add that I am one that also finds the SB Blend to be a sum better than it's parts. Even though, I love OWA by itself.

I did a 1:1 SB Blend a few months ago. It was fun to do and was quite good. However, if I do it again in the future I will try another ratio.

I've been enjoying a "Squire" now and again. ~3:1 VOBBOB to OGDBIB. Not sure if that's the ratio I'm going to settle on as in my wheelhouse, but I'm definitely favoring a higher percentage of the Barton in the mix.

I'll add that I am one that also finds the SB Blend to be a sum better than it's parts. Even though, I love OWA by itself.

I am such a newbie...I know that VOB is Very Old Barton (not sure what the BOB is). I also know that OGDBIB is Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. What does SB stand for? Thanks! Sorry for such a basic question!

SB usually means Single Barrel and I suspect Joe meant BIB rather than BOB.

SB usually means Single Barrel.

Thanks! So when someone references a 1:1 SB blend they are mixing two single barrel bourbons in equal parts. I have never mixed bourbons but I might try the VOB/OGD blend. See, I am learning stuff already!:grin:

I am such a newbie...I know that VOB is Very Old Barton (not sure what the BOB is). I also know that OGDBIB is Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. What does SB stand for? Thanks! Sorry for such a basic question!

The BOB is a typo ( he meant BIB).

The SB is StraightBourbon. The name of this site. If you search SB blend or gillmanizing, there's a ton of good info about vatting

Edited by Phil T

Phil is correct (I really need to get my eyes checked) SB blend is a fairly recent phrase that does refer to our site and is a blend of Weller 12 year old (90 proof) and Old Weller Antique (107 proof). It can be 50/50 or whatever you prefer so what you wind up with is a drink about 100 proof with the attributes of the aged expression and the vibrancy of the higher proof younger expression.

Phil is correct (I really need to get my eyes checked) SB blend is a fairly recent phrase that does refer to our site and is a blend of Weller 12 year old (90 proof) and Old Weller Antique (107 proof). It can be 50/50 or whatever you prefer so what you wind up with is a drink about 100 proof with the attributes of the aged expression and the vibrancy of the higher proof younger expression.

Awesome. I already have OW12 and plan to try OWA so that is a natural blend to try. OGD and VOB sounds like a very inexpensive experiment that should be a fun try. Thanks! I am sure that I will ask a LOT more basic questions. I want to learn because the more I learn the more I will enjoy!

Me don't type two good...:D Thanks for picking me up, fellas.

BTW mbroo, ask as many questions as you like. We are itchin' to show our knowledge, and Hoosiers are universally loved on SB! If I answer one of your questions though, get a second opinion...:D

Welcome aboard!

:toast:

Me don't type two good...:D Thanks for picking me up, fellas.

BTW mbroo, ask as many questions as you like. We are itchin' to show our knowledge, and Hoosiers are universally loved on SB! If I answer one of your questions though, get a second opinion...:D

Welcome aboard!

:toast:

Thank you. Obviously, Bourbonian of the Year, makes me pay more attention to your advice! Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to trying to a lot more and different bourbons!

The last batch I made was a 60/40 OWA/W12 vatting. I've enjoyed that even more than the superb 50/50, so I'll probably stick with that ratio next time. But, as they say, YMMV and the fun is in the experimentation!

I've been enjoying my SB blend with a Weller 12 heavy ratio of 3:1. I like the oakyness of the W12 to dominate, with the OWA providing another layer of depth with its sweetness and thicker mouth-feel. I haven't been feeling the OWA heavy ratios as much...

All this recent talk of 8 yr old OGD got me thinking . . . .

so I mixed (blended) OGDBIB with RR10 90 pf to get some wood notes along with the great spice flavor of OGD (about an 8 yr old average).

All I can say is, any of you that have both of these bourbons should RUN to the cabinet and blend these 50/50. It's outstanding!

That's interesting mamba, I haven't been much into blending but may start.

This was strictly an "in the glass" blending, so no chance for it to meld (if indeed such things do happen?). It was so promising that as soon as I have an empty I'll try a measured 6 oz of each and let it sit for a couple days, then retry.

I think they do meld, or at least some of the Master Blenders at major houses so believe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.