Favorite Personal Blends, or mixes, of Whiskies

WhiskyRI
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've noticed in quite a few threads here that some people will make a "house blend" from 2 or 3 bourbons or ryes. I was hopeful that people might be willing to share some of their preferred recipes, ratios and components, or to at least share some of their mistakes, in order to shorten my learning curve as ease the burden on my wallet. Thanks

SB Blend. For me, it's 3:1 OWA to Weller 12. Somebody here suggested dropping a little HH Larceny in there, which I did, and was very pleased with the results. Just can't remember what the ratio was. :crazy:

I fully understand the desire to shorten the learning curve and reduce costs, but the fun of Gillmanizing is in the journey and process. Wallet be damned!! :D

My current favorite is a 1:1 vatting of ECBP:EC12.

The SB Blend is pretty tasty too.

SB Blend. For me, it's 3:1 OWA to Weller 12. Somebody here suggested dropping a little HH Larceny in there, which I did, and was very pleased with the results. Just can't remember what the ratio was. :crazy:

I fully understand the desire to shorten the learning curve and reduce costs, but the fun of Gillmanizing is in the journey and process. Wallet be damned!! :D

Most like a 1:1. Why do you use those proportions?

I don't care for Weller12 as it's too sooty and almost scotch like. The last bottle I had I gave away. While I was at the Houston meet-up last week Randy and Ed said the older bottles of Weller 12 with the embossed wheat on the glass were better, but I didn't really push them as to why they were better. Can you possibly elaborate?

I don't care for Weller12 as it's too sooty and almost scotch like. The last bottle I had I gave away. While I was at the Houston meet-up last week Randy and Ed said the older bottles of Weller 12 with the embossed wheat on the glass were better, but I didn't really push them as to why they were better. Can you possibly elaborate?

I knew there was one person on the board that shared my sooty weller12 opinion. Maybe I'll buy another bottle one of these days and try the blend.

Speaking of 12yr. DSP-16, I had some at the tasting last week and it was NOTHING like current Weller 12 or Lot B (which taste the same to me). Man, it was good stuff! Sweet and almost buttery. Yum, yum.

Edited by smknjoe

I was pretty happy with a blend of Dickel Barrel Select and Handy. The Handy ramped up the power and spice of the DBS nicely.

I also used some Dickel 12 to help me finish a bottle of WTRR Rye 6yo that I did not like.

Kentucky rye does great things to Dickel (bourbon, or TN whisky, whatever you want to call it, I just want to be clear I'm not talking about the Dickel Rye).

My preferred "house blend" is a straight mixture of one part OGD BIB to two parts VOB BIB.

Either is very good on its own, but added to each other they reach a sort of synergy.

The fun is in the experimenting! Best blend I think I've had was an on the spot decision to vat St. George Single Malt Batch 12 with a HW16 1:1. Another great one is the Airigh Nam Beist - Corryvreckan combo also 1:1. SB blend is good too, though I prefer to throw a dollop of BMHSmB into my OWA, cause I want a little rye in the mix. Wheaters are great, but they're so soft sometimes. Have fun exploring! Wallet be damned.

A 1:1 of Barton and Grand Dad work for me, or you can drink them separately and mix them internally.

I usually have a bottle of the obligatory SB blend on hand. 1:1 W12 and OWA for me. I've never done any other blends very precisely, I usually just pour a few things in a glass. I'm enjoying some Old Charter 8 with a bit of Ritt BIB mixed in. That gives a sweet, boring bourbon quite a nice flavor. The other day I opened my first bottle of BH and tried a bit mixed with OGD114. That is a mixture I will be exploring for sure.

I'm enjoying some Old Charter 8 with a bit of Ritt BIB mixed in. That gives a sweet, boring bourbon quite a nice flavor.

That sounds pretty good actually. OC can be a little boring with just the one sweet corn/butterscotch flavor (and a little wood.)

My preferred ratio for the SB Blend is 60% OWA and 40% Weller 12. I agree with Joe - the journey is as important as the destination! I keep empty half-pint bottles for experimentation, and tried different ratios (60/40 in both directions, and 50/50) to pick which one I like best. Although, I've noticed more and more the variability in what I taste and when - so what is my favorite today might come in second place some other night! After I empty my current bottle, my strategy will be to try to do smaller vattings - in the desperate hope that one day I'll get 1/10th as good as fishnbowljoe :grin:

The only Barton I seem to be able to get up here is 1792 and fewer and fewer places carry OGD - at any strength. But I'll keep an eye when I come down to Virginia this summer. Maybe being a border state with Kentucky will enhance the bourbon selection - it's been a long time since I was in the ABC stores there.

I have my gripes with the ABC stores, but one thing I can give them credit for is carrying the entire line of Old Grand-Dad.

My house blend approximates the flavor of ETL at about half the price. 50/50 blend of 4RYL and OGDBIB.

Timely post. I just snuck a few ounces of my 1:1 OWA and Weller 12 blend. I was hoping to wait the recommended week (minimum) to let it meld, but I really wanted a smooth sip to end my work week. Even after only 4 days I am extremely impressed! It softens the extra woodiness of the 12 (which is otherwise my favorite daily pour). And it evened out and gave more depth to the OWA, which I found a bit medicinal and sharp.

I plan on doing a blind 3-way test of the source bourbons along with the blend soon, but I am very pleased with the initial results this evening. Maybe I'll even go 4-way and compare some Larceny, too.

3:1 OWA to Weller12 with a splash of 120proof Knob Creek SB works for me. Also enjoy OGD ND 86 and OGD ND BiB 1:1.

It should be noted here that Steve (Sailor22) is a master vatter and came up with a humdinger during the recent Sampler weekend gatherings.

Gary

It should be noted here that Steve (Sailor22) is a master vatter and came up with a humdinger during the recent Sampler weekend gatherings.

Gary

I'll second that...one of my favorites among a competitive crowd of many many many...others that weekend :cool:!

I had a overly woody, almost but not quite "musty" EC18 a while back. I always hated it. Never liked what I thought was the overwhelming eucalyptus flavor in it... I'm not sure if the bottle was off or what. I tried vatting that bottle 1 part EC18 to 2 parts Eagle Rare 10yo, and thought it was fantastic -- way greater than the sum of the parts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.