5 days, 5 distilleries

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to all SB.com members who offered so much great advice.

Two months of research, one full day to get to KY, three full days of touring and one full day home. Here's my quick report. Beside each distillery is our group's score out of 10 based on overall subjective analysis, quality of tour, visual delight, and gift shop facilities. I've listed the distilleries in the order of our visit.

First Stop, Lexington Liquor Barn (I know, I know, most people would do that at the end but that would be a SUNDAY and KY state law prohibits liquor sales on Sundays).

Buffalo Trace (7)

A super-friendly, down-to-earth group that greeted the heck out of us when we arrived. A marvel of advertising brand creation and development with the new brand Buffalo Trace completely dominating ALL imaging and giftshop items. Barely a mention of all of the fine products produced at this distillery. Be sure to pick up a handful of bungs, which make an excellent tasting-glass lid to keep out the fruitflies!

Wild Turkey distillery. (8)

Visit it soon, as construction plans include the rebuilding of the current stillhouse . Truly a working distillery with rough edges and all... including recently picked barrels destined for premium bottlings. Pernod Ricard uses the Wild Turkey warehouse (among others) for storage and distribution of their many products. The stock on hand (typically a three-month supply) was completely overwhelming.

Maker's Mark (7)

The grounds and distillery buildings are in such immaculate condition, one wonders whether it is actually a working distillery. It was worth the drive just for the look on the tour guide's face as I accomplished my private slam-dunk .

Jim Beam (4)

Jim Beam's American Outpost was perhaps the least interesting of our visits, despite the free pours of two of their premium small batch bottlings.

Labrot & Graham (9)

This is where the money is. A marvelous example of branding, and a magnificent distillery updating. Rumor has it that the product from their potstills is now (and has been for a few weeks) making it's way into current bottlings. A "mingling", certainly not a blend.

Two Suggestions

1. Shakertown. I would like to suggest a visit to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill . They offer accommodations on site that allows a visitor to wander the grounds well after day-visitors have left. And a full service restaurant offers hearty, simple foods (although somewhat lacking in imagination) with excellent value.

2. Trip timing

Unfortunately we were unable to visit several distilleries due to weekend closures (Four Roses in Lotus, Heaven Hill). Planning a trip on a long weekend worked meant crowded tours on the Sat and Sunday. Plus during the summer months several distilleries either limit production or do not distil at all. My suggestion would be to plan a visit to KY midweek in either late October or April/May.

All in all a fantastic visit to a beautiful state. Wonderful people. Thank you.

toast.gif

Thanks for the report Dave toast.gif. I assume that Liquor Barn pic was taken early, as your cart is somewhat bare lol.gif

So is it safe to say that the pic you have of 'someone' dumping the sherry finished bourbon is from one of the above mentioned distilleries?

I cannot wait for my trip to Ky in a few more weeks now. I've been simply counting the days until the 16th, but now I'm eagerly awaiting their passing! lol.gif

Great post and great pictures! Did you partake of any libations at Buffalo Trace? When I was there, they served Buffalo Trace and Rain Vodka. And a more burning question for those attending the SB.Com tour--(unfortunately not me)did they have any Stagg left in the gift shop?

Tommy

Yep, still serving the BT, and if you hang around, you get a bit of the Rain also. In addition to only about 10 bottles of BT, the gift shop had ONE bottle of Sazerac rye. That's it. frown.gif

toast.gif

Dave: Thanks for the story and for the pics! Looks like you had a great visit through bourbonville. I'm envious!

Dave,

Glad you had a great time, thanks for the info and pix! Very nice. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting BT during the Bourbon Fest and I'm hoping to get to visit WT distillery as well.

Bob

Great stuff Dave grin.gif

Did ya stroll down the riverfront?... See the Belle?...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

You betch'ya! Would have spent more time in the park had it not been raining! Definitely plan to spend more time in Bardstown next time though. Lovely spot. smile.gif

Frankly, I am disappointed in the riverfront. My wife and I strolled along it one evening in July while we were at the Galt House. It was not pleasant and could have been called nasty. Too much trash in the water, too many rundown buildings/boats. Too many raggedly dressed kids hanging out (nothing wrong with that in general, but at my age I can't tell if they are normal or looking for trouble).

The riverfront area is aching for some good restaurants and bars. Joe's Crab Shack hardly qualifies.

Lest I be considered too harsh based on one visit, I have been to the riverfront four times in the last year, twice at Joe's Crab Shack (my kids like it). So my bad impressions aren't based on one experience.

I hate to say, it, but the IN side of the river has the KY side beat easily. Not only is the selection better right across the I-65 bridge, but further east on the IN side, there is a decent neighborhood bar (I forgot the name) right on the river, at the end of Spring St. They even have Buffalo Trace and some other decent bourbons.

Now CL, you might be a little bit harsh there, smile.gif although I understand your position. I'm from the west coast and we have a billion miles of waterfront, both natural and developed. And our water is generally clear, unlike the tan of the Ohio (and Kentucky). But to walk along beside the riverboats was a NEW experience for me, one I have never had before. And the park development to the north hopefully will encourage citizens to continue the rejuvenation of a potentially beautiful stretch of land.

I agree, the riverboats are nice. It's the floating bar place and other ramshackle buildings like that that I was disappointed in.

I have never been further downstream to the park you have mentioned. I do need to check it out. It does look nice when viewing it from the IN side or coming sount on I-65 from IN. My previous comments were on the section from the Galt House down to Joe's Crab Shack.

The coolest thing on the river front is the Fall of the Ohio fossil beds, accessible from the Indiana side. You're a few hundred yards from downtown Louisville but in a whole different world.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.