Ardbeg Ardbog

DrinkSpirits
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

post-5831-14489819070462_thumb.jpg

Just posted our review of Ardbeg's Committee release: Ardbog. It's good, peaty and has some nice spice, but it isn't the revelation that Ardbeg Alligator was or the phenomenal combination of spirit that Rollercoaster was. Not sure if this is going to ultimately be a wide release like Alligator was or if it's just a committee release like Ardbeg Day.

The price on these special releases keeps going up. It's up well over $100 now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15477[/ATTACH]

Just posted our review of Ardbeg's Committee release: Ardbog. It's good, peaty and has some nice spice, but it isn't the revelation that Ardbeg Alligator was or the phenomenal combination of spirit that Rollercoaster was. Not sure if this is going to ultimately be a wide release like Alligator was or if it's just a committee release like Ardbeg Day.

The price on these special releases keeps going up. It's up well over $100 now.

It's only $67 in Montgomery County, Maryland, but that's still too much, given the NAS and a same-ol' same-ol' gimmick with sherry finishing. Why the heck can't they simply release an older Ardbeg, age stated, without all that crap?

They don't really have any old stock. I doubt there's many casks left from pre 1997

But I wish they did the same as well - maybe they enough stock to bottle a 15yo cask strength soon

Steffen

They don't really have any old stock. I doubt there's many casks left from pre 1997

But I wish they did the same as well - maybe they enough stock to bottle a 15yo cask strength soon

Steffen

Steffen, have you had the "old" Ardbeg 10s, like from the late '90s to 2003 or so? I know there's a bit of a cult following concerning bottling codes, based on rumors that the older bottles had much older stock in them. I didn't like the Beist all that much - muted peat, limited nuance - but older peaters can take on nice characteristics.

I was queuing for the first bottles in 1999 :-)

The had no production 1983-1989, thats why they waited until 1999 for releasing the 10yo. They released a 17yo around 1997 when Glenmorangie took over. I know the production was irregular between 89 and 97 but I don't know about any age variation for the 10, but I will not be surprised if there were some. The age variation was more evident for the 17yo (a 17yo bottled in 2002 must have been distilled before 1983 and was older than the label said)

There was also age variation on the Beist that had a vintage 1990 and was bottled through 2006-2008.

Personally I don't think there is a big differences (but there is differences) between the 10 from 1999 onwards. I know plenty of people that do and some think the quality has changed as well, but I don't agree on that as well. But there are people out there who drink a lot more 10 than me

I think there is a lot of difference in the 17yo range. Some of the lesser peated Kildaton Ardbeg was used in these so that should explain that. I also think the Beist and the 17yo are world apart and I do agree on your assesment of the Beist. My personal theory, which is just my theory and I have no support for it what so ever, is that more tired casks was used in the period around 1990. One thing is sure, I don't think the Ardbegs from the 90s match those from the 70s and 80s. Time will tell if 97+ Ardbeg will. I reckon we get an idea when it get around 20+ yo

Here's a good webpage for Ardbegnerds ardbegproject.com

Steffen

It's only $67 in Montgomery County, Maryland, but that's still too much, given the NAS and a same-ol' same-ol' gimmick with sherry finishing. Why the heck can't they simply release an older Ardbeg, age stated, without all that crap?

Its around 85 here, sweet, peat, boozy enough for me too, I dig it a lot!

Man oh man the reviews on this one are mixed. I think I'm going to take a pass, especially after the Galileo - fool me once...

I attended Chicago's event last night. I was very impressed with the presentation; the location was all class, and in addition to the tasting glasses we sat down to, waiters passed cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. I don't remember what they were calling them, but I had a tasty, refreshing drink made with Ardbeg 10yo, lime juice, Gosling's ginger beer and finished with a healthy dose of bitters. It tided me over while I waited for their little presentation to begin.

The 10yo, Corry, Uigie and 'Bog were laid out in front of us, and it was nice to be able to taste them all against each other.

The hosts brought a few special 375ml bottles. One was Alligator, which is very unlike the sweeter Uigie and 'Bog, and one that I really like, I was reminded. The other bottle being poured contained whisky distilled in 1974 drawn from a single cask. It was around 49% and when I asked the host when it was bottled, he said it hadn't been. I noticed a date on the label of 3/3/11, so either that's the date the bottle was filled from the cask, which would make the whisky 37 years old, or it was filled more recently, making it more like 39 years old. Either way, according to the host, it was the oldest whisky they had.

It was very sweet, all heavy vanilla frosting up front. There was only a slight earthy funk on the back end, much like the hops in an IPA that is well beyond its fresh date. It was tasty but fell a little flat, and I wished I had a proper glass to get a good nose of it because the glasses they provided did not afford the pleasure.

Ardbog itself? I don't know. I'm not sold. The manzanilla influence is nice, but syrupy sweet, and I was missing the proper dirty peat to balance it out. Admittedly, Day grew on me over the course of my bottle, and by the end I was lamenting not having more of it, so this makes me lean towards picking up a bottle of this, especially at the seeming low price of $90 around here.

By the way, the host mentioned that 35% of the 'Bog's contents were aged in manzanilla casks for 10-12 years. I don't know how old the other 65% is.

A local high-end tobacco shop hosted an unofficial CigArdbog after-party, so my buddy and I made the trek in the torrential downpour and booming thunder. I didn't get home all that late, but I'm feeling it a bit this morning. I'm pretty sure it's more the cigars than the whisky.

post-7081-14489819080626_thumb.jpg

post-7081-14489819080099_thumb.jpg

I tried this the other day. Man, I am just not a peaty drinker. Funny because that used to be my whisky of choice.

By the way, the host mentioned that 35% of the 'Bog's contents were aged in manzanilla casks for 10-12 years. I don't know how old the other 65% is.

I like all the Ardbegs I've tasted, but I haven't had the "bog". I'll take the standard 10 year over all of them.

It's coming in at $99.00 a bottle here. After diving into the Galileo without trying it first, I'm definitely gonna wait to try this one before buying it.

had a pour of this last night. liked it a lot....almost as much as i like alligator, and that's been my favorite release to date. if i can find it for a price that's not too rapey, it will come home with me.

Got to try this last night. Started off with the typical young, bold, big Ardbeg peat that I love. Mid-palate was nice as well with some salty cracker notes as the Manzanilla kicked in and began to turn sweet.

Unfortunately, the finish ruined it for me and I use that term loosely. This is no Galileo flop, a solid dram for sure, but the finish turned a bit sappy/borderline cloying and after 30-45 seconds....chalky. And I HATE chalky.

Looks like I'll be passing on another Ardbeg release. It pains me to say that. :(

Got to try this last night. Started off with the typical young, bold, big Ardbeg peat that I love. Mid-palate was nice as well with some salty cracker notes as the Manzanilla kicked in and began to turn sweet.

Unfortunately, the finish ruined it for me and I use that term loosely. This is no Galileo flop, a solid dram for sure, but the finish turned a bit sappy/borderline cloying and after 30-45 seconds....chalky. And I HATE chalky.

Looks like I'll be passing on another Ardbeg release. It pains me to say that. :(

Have to agree with Josh here - esp. for $100 a bottle. Had a chance to sample this earlier this week and loved the nose and palate and with water the peat subsided some and a nice malty/fruitiness emerged. But the finish wasn't there for me either - chalky is a good description; kind of bitter/salty to me.

For those traveling in the Northeast, NH Liquor Commission has Ardbog for $95 a bottle - and they also are having a 15% off sale on American spirits and wines - buy 12 bottles of anything American (wine and/or hooch) and get 15% off your purchase. My budget took a hit as I brought home one Ardbog and a bunch of bourbons - Jefferson's Small batch for $20 net was too cheap to pass up.

Finally made it to the shelves around here, but just had to pass b/c of all the mixed reviews. Good news is it will sit here for years to come, so I have plenty of time to make a different decision later.

Passing on the Bog (even at $75) but I did find an '03 bottling of the Ten (L3 041 1135 4ML) yesterday for $39.99 that probably has older whisky in it too ;).

Tried some of this today. I liked it quite a bit, though I do see what some people are saying in that the finish was somewhat lacking.

These are readily available for about $85 in Colorado and the spirit buyer at my local store said he has never seen such little interest in a release. For me, it is just too hard to imagine what Scotch finished in bourbon and Sherry casks tastes like and $85 is too much to pay to find out when the reviews of real drinkers are mixed.

I really enjoyed this release. Finally felt like I was tasting an Ardbeg in balance. Though, I will admit to having never really found an Ardbeg that I didn't like.With the exception of Blasda.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to c dub, I got to try the Ardbog last night. I found it to be disgusting.

It has a lot of bitterness to it - I am speaking of green, young whisky bitterness. There is a reason this is NAS. There may be some 10yo in there, but my palate tells me that most of that bottle is 6-7yo spirit covered with a crappy finish. As disappointing as Galieo was, I thought it was better than Ardbog. Ardbeg has really jumped the shark - I only wonder if next year's release will be finished in BT warehouse floor spillage and called "Ardstagg" or "Arddy Van Beggle".

Edited by LostBottle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.