Chinese firewater

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was gifted some Chinese "whiskey" by a post doc a couple of years ago, he said it was a traditional Sorgum whiskey - cracked that bottle in Bardstown and no one who tasted it wanted a second sip. Honestly, the nose was a dead ringer for vomit.

Scary stuff. Every time i've been in China and it's offered i claim an allergy.

I can't stand the stuff - there must be a link between NJ & China when it comes to ethics.

I'd hate to see how they made the rotgut.

Apparently the Chinese haven't learned the advantages of aging in small barrels.

Apparently the Chinese haven't learned the advantages of aging in small barrels.

Well, lumber is a premium in Asia (China especially). They just don't have vast oak forests (even for the micro shortcut of using small barrels) for that kind of luxury. Does Bamboo make for decent cask material?

Edited by ChainWhip

Gotta be better than licking cat's @$$...

I wouldn't bet on that.

I tasted some Chinese liquor when visiting Beijing. It was the equivalent of $1.50 for a fifth (for comparison, a can of Guiness was $.25 I think). Smelled like acetone. Tasted awful, one sip led to an immediate headache. We entertained ourselves by pouring it in the toilet bowl (yes, it was a very Western hotel) and lighting it on fire. It left a sooty, oily sheen on the water and smelled like a chemical plant fire.

I wouldn't recommend it for drinking but it might make for a good accelerant.

Ye Gods, those folks must be hard up for something decent to drink.

I tasted some Chinese liquor when visiting Beijing. It was the equivalent of $1.50 for a fifth (for comparison, a can of Guiness was $.25 I think). Smelled like acetone. Tasted awful, one sip led to an immediate headache. We entertained ourselves by pouring it in the toilet bowl (yes, it was a very Western hotel) and lighting it on fire. It left a sooty, oily sheen on the water and smelled like a chemical plant fire.

I wouldn't recommend it for drinking but it might make for a good accelerant.

Well that settles it. I have been looking for a new solvent for cleaning my guns.

I've had decent Baiju (can't say as any has been especially good), bad baiju and horrid baiju. I thought this post from a couple of days was interesting in that Baiju producers are looking to go global and that Baiju is now the most consumed spirit in the world. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/baijiu-most-popular-liquor_n_3351491.html Additionally Diageo is in the Baiju business so look for it on shelves near you soon. http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2012/07/diageo-introduces-europe-to-shui-jing-fang-baijiu/ - notice the price point for 500ml bottle, almost 100 pounds! Ill sacrifice and let someone buy those bottles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.