How many "first fill - virgin barrel - Scotch whiskys"?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't mean first fill bourbon then scotch....actual new barrels - virgin - filled with whisky?

Regs simply state:

"which has been matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres, the period of that maturation being not less than 3 years;"

Ardbeg Alligator is the only one that comes to mind:

http://www.ardbegproject.com/alligator.shtml

Seems to be some experimenting here and there, the next new thing perhaps, but I don't see anything like a movement in that direction.

I don't mean first fill bourbon then scotch....actual new barrels - virgin - filled with whisky?

Regs simply state:

"which has been matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres, the period of that maturation being not less than 3 years;"

Ardbeg Alligator is the only one that comes to mind:

http://www.ardbegproject.com/alligator.shtml

Alligator is a vatting of virgin oak aged along with reused cooperage whiskey.

There have been a number of virgin oak finishes: Deanston, Benriach and Glendronach have done them.

Alligator is a vatting of virgin oak aged along with reused cooperage whiskey.

There have been a number of virgin oak finishes: Deanston, Benriach and Glendronach have done them.

Finishes only or aged exclusively in virgin oak?

Finishes only or aged exclusively in virgin oak?

Finishes.

There are many examples of partial ageing in new oak casks and/or new cask ends (new make filled in used casks then transferred to new casks). There are also many examples of fully matured whisky in new oak casks mixed with whisky aged in used casks.

Filling new-make from Scotland into in new oak is not rare. What's rare is Scotch (either single malt, or blend) that spent all its life in new oak released as such. Glenmorangie Ealanta being the rare example.

Edited by portwood

Finishes.

There are many examples of partial ageing in new oak casks and/or new cask ends (new make filled in used casks then transferred to new casks). There are also many examples of fully matured whisky in new oak casks mixed with whisky aged in used casks.

Filling new-make from Scotland into in new oak is not rare. What's rare is Scotch (either single malt, or blend) that spent all its life in new oak released as such. Glenmorangie Ealanta being the rare example.

Right, that is what I was getting at...a Scotch born and bred in newly charred virgin oak as with bourbon.

Balvenie did one for their annual 17 year releases. Deanston also has a fully matured virgin oak release. I know I saw another one the other day, but I can't recall. I'd say they're somewhere between uncommon and rare.

• 5 months later...

I've got a Glendronnach "Virgin Oak" 14...not sure which it is but I think it's finished in the virgin oak as opposed to aged an entire life in it like Ealanta. I did not realize until reading here how uncommon the latter actually is...interesting.

I've got a Glendronnach "Virgin Oak" 14...not sure which it is but I think it's finished in the virgin oak as opposed to aged an entire life in it like Ealanta. I did not realize until reading here how uncommon the latter actually is...interesting.

Yep, I checked it after this posting and it is a 'finished in virgin oak'. I think when I bought it that I thought it was aged in American virgin oak...not reading label carefully enough. Oh well, planning on an Ealanta one day soon...if I can find one when $$ is available that is....always a challenge coordinating the two. :frown:

I was going to post about Glenfiddich Rich Oak but then I read their fine print and its "finished" as well. Now I'm more leaning towards getting myself a bottle of Ealanta...

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.