Abraham Bowman Release 5

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The fifth release of A Smith Bowman’s Abraham Bowman whiskey has just been released. They are calling it their Last Millennium bottling because they took the last 12 barrels of 1990’s bourbon they had and combined them for this release. Its 100 Proof bourbon whiskey from barrels filled on 12-31-1997 and 12-23-1999. The 12-31-1997 is the same barreling date as the TPS private John J Bowman bottles with an extra year and a half in the barrel.

This is one fine sipping bourbon. Its got a little bit of rye spice giving way to some nice oak notes. A little vanilla comes through as well. Some alcohol burn on the finish, which is nice and long. This is a very well balanced and tasty pour. I’m gonna have to get a couple more bottles of this one.

Umm sounds might good. Wide release or should I make may way E?

12 barrels at 100 proof so should be 100-150 or so bottles per barrel? I was told it'd be trickling into VA ABC stores in the next week or so, didn't ask about outside of VA. Its at the gift shop at the distillery now.

Edited by VAGentleman

Roger that.

Yeti, how far out are you, my mule, ur, man? :P

So, um, how do us mule-less folks out west get some? PM link if it should stay on the DL.

It's a shame that A. Smith Bowman has resorted to gimmicks. If this were bottled at barrel proof it might be worth the $70+ price tag, but I find it hdd to believe that this will be much better than the TPS JJBs which are $20 less. I'm skeptical.

Also, it sounds like A. Smith Bowman is running out of well aged stock.

Edited by c2walker

It's a shame that A. Smith Bowman has resorted to gimmicks. If this were bottled at barrel proof it might be worth the $70+ price tag, but I find it hdd to believe that this will be much better than the TPS JJBs which are $20 less. I'm skeptical.

I share some abstract disappointment in the bottling proof, but fail to see any gimmick here whatsoever. It's very small batch, 13.5 year old bourbon. What gimmick?

They're obviously running out of aged stock though. That is true. It will be a while until there's another 17/18 year release.

I'm about 2 hours away from the closest VA ABC, but my best friend lives near VA Tech so I may get him to lock some down until I can get there.

I share some abstract disappointment in the bottling proof, but fail to see any gimmick here whatsoever. It's very small batch, 13.5 year old bourbon. What gimmick?

The gimmick is "Last Millennium." I'm just upset because I know what Abraham Bowman can be (i.e. 18 year "gift shop"), yet they release 10 year/90 proof ryes, sub 10 year/100 proof port finished bourbons, and this 100 proof Last Millennium bottle for the same price. I have no doubt that this has the potential to be a fine bourbon, but they set the bar high early on and have failed to come close since.

The gimmick is "Last Millennium." I'm just upset because I know what Abraham Bowman can be (i.e. 18 year "gift shop"), yet they release 10 year/90 proof ryes, sub 10 year/100 proof port finished bourbons, and this 100 proof Last Millennium bottle for the same price. I have no doubt that this has the potential to be a fine bourbon, but they set the bar high early on and have failed to come close since.

Cosign. Pretty much sums up my exact thoughts. The A Bowman and JJ Bowman labels haven't been around that long and I'm already lamenting about the good ole days with their initial releases.

Sad....they have some truly epic whiskey but for whatever reason, teased us with it initially and have yet to put more out. Damn shame.

I haven't noticed any degradation of the John J Single Barrels from the beginning til now, still one of my favorite bourbons. I also happen to think this new batch of 15.5 and 13.5 year old bourbon is damn good.

My most recent bottle of the JJB SB was BETTER than the first one I got when it was first released only in VA, so I don't share the view that the bottlings have gone down hill. I am looking forward to the new release.

Yep and yep. "Last Millennium" spews marketing hype. And as far as setting the bar, that AB "gift shop" (AB version#2) to which you refer is the benchmark pour of the series.

Just got off the phone with the two largest volume VA ABC stores in the southern part of the state and they don't know anything about it...yet. New stock arrives on Mondays so I'll check back with them then.

Cosign. Pretty much sums up my exact thoughts. The A Bowman and JJ Bowman labels haven't been around that long and I'm already lamenting about the good ole days with their initial releases.

Sad....they have some truly epic whiskey but for whatever reason, teased us with it initially and have yet to put more out. Damn shame.

Nailed it. They couldn't move the $70 bottles of AB version #1 (90 prf rye), then decided to roll out some damned good LTD offerings in version #2 and thru TPS as PB's. Not the same since.

As for JJB, it's a hit or miss as far as the contents go since it's a single barrel. Like buying a Willett, you don't know what you're getting until you open it. RIP Truman.

Just got off the phone with the two largest volume VA ABC stores in the southern part of the state and they don't know anything about it...yet. New stock arrives on Mondays so I'll check back with them then.

No surprise. VA ABC booze management is crazy. When looking for AB in inventory, they have the same inventory number for every version released. Whether it's the original 90 prf crap or the most current version #5 and everything in between at 130+ prf, same inventory number for all. Good luck with getting hold of someone at an ABC store that knows anything about the latest AB. Unless they are geeks, they all might as well plead the "Schultz defense"...they know nothing!

Most of the stores just said "if it's limited, we won't get it for months, call Blacksburg". But the Blacksburg store, while not extremely knowledgable, was at least helpful. They said "oh we already have Bowman" but when I explained that it was a small release of Abraham Bowman and not John Bowman or Bowman Brothers, they went to look again without just telling me I was wrong. Which, for some reason, I expected.

Most of the stores just said "if it's limited, we won't get it for months, call Blacksburg". But the Blacksburg store, while not extremely knowledgable, was at least helpful. They said "oh we already have Bowman" but when I explained that it was a small release of Abraham Bowman and not John Bowman or Bowman Brothers, they went to look again without just telling me I was wrong. Which, for some reason, I expected.

So from the conversation some of you VA guys are having is there any way to tell what stores this makes it too? Does it typically just get into the stores around DC, or does it get out to other stores across the state? I'm in central VA, and I've never seen any of the limited Bowman offerings in any of the stores here. By the way, I have also had the type of conversations mentioned above where it's obvious that I know more about the products then the people who run the stores...it's really annoying. And not to get off topic, but I find it funny that I had to go to 5 or 6 local stores over a 1 year period, put in orders for BTAC and then wait to see what stores would actually come through and deliver. It's amusing because only certain ones seem to be "hot spots" for getting limited stuff, which I find odd since we're in a control state, and theoretically we should be able to order anywhere and get our order...yeah I know, those are expectations that are way too high.

I have never had a helpful conversation with an ABC employee. The last time I asked a particular store if they would still be stocking Baby Saz as it became available, they handed me the big ABC catalog to see if it was still listed.

As for the Bowman, I'll keep an eye out for it but may pass it up at that price.

So from the conversation some of you VA guys are having is there any way to tell what stores this makes it too? Does it typically just get into the stores around DC, or does it get out to other stores across the state? I'm in central VA, and I've never seen any of the limited Bowman offerings in any of the stores here. By the way, I have also had the type of conversations mentioned above where it's obvious that I know more about the products then the people who run the stores...it's really annoying. And not to get off topic, but I find it funny that I had to go to 5 or 6 local stores over a 1 year period, put in orders for BTAC and then wait to see what stores would actually come through and deliver. It's amusing because only certain ones seem to be "hot spots" for getting limited stuff, which I find odd since we're in a control state, and theoretically we should be able to order anywhere and get our order...yeah I know, those are expectations that are way too high.

I too live around central VA and can tell you the limited releases are available but hot spots do exist. I've got two ABC managers at two different stores that are very much in the know and I can get the pulse of what is coming into the state in regards to allocated booze i.e. BTAC, PVW20, etc. From my experience, I believe the allocations are based on store volume, politics and politics.

When I was up there, I was shown several barrels that would be the next release. They were stamped Ancient Age on the head. My question, except for a few years and proof point and maybe barrel selection, how is this different from AAA 10-Year at nearly 4x the price?

When I was up there, I was shown several barrels that would be the next release. They were stamped Ancient Age on the head. My question, except for a few years and proof point and maybe barrel selection, how is this different from AAA 10-Year at nearly 4x the price?

Couldn't this just mean that the barrels were distilled by Ancient Age Distillery (before it became Buffalo Trace)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.