"Pappy? We had it but sent it back because..."

suntour
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"Because we couldn't sell it! Same with those Wellers! Too much money." - Nearby town's liquor store :lol:

Of course in Oregon this is a state-run operation, and they can't sell for anything but the mandated price. This is last year's release this liquor store manager is talking about of course, but it was like being in a parallel perhaps better universe.

Sounds more like a store with a cash flow issue or a manager looking for an excuse.

Even if they received a large allotment (30 bottles of pappy). That is not all that money for something they know they will sell eventually at a reasonable profit.

And if I had to guess, the average markup (across all products, not rare whiskeys) in control states is still higher than free market/non controlled states.

Markup varies - some control states have very reasonable prices on things that many non-control states will often have higher prices - this is especially true of more desirable, rarer bottles. I think the problem is the three-tier system with the mandatory middle-men taking the cut. Even "free-market" states aren't exactly a free market. And don't get me started on the almost complete lack of a legal after-market.

"Because we couldn't sell it! Same with those Wellers! Too much money." - Nearby town's liquor store :lol:

Of course in Oregon this is a state-run operation, and they can't sell for anything but the mandated price. This is last year's release this liquor store manager is talking about of course, but it was like being in a parallel perhaps better universe.

Here's a 2-part question: How much seemed to be "too much money" to this person; ...and part two: How long did he/she try to sell the bottle before giving up and sending 'em back? I think the answers to these questions would be quite informative. :rolleyes:

Idaho has State controlled liquor sales and the prices are statutorily set on a percentage basis. We do pretty well here price wise, I can get a bottle of EWSB for under $23. The only issue I have is that some things simply dont make it here. I dont know whose at fault for that and really dont care. Idaho has no limitations on shipping into the state so I get it worked out. Also our stores cannot return once purchased. They are required by law to turn the inventory annually and if they cant there is a perscribed formula to mark it down until it sells. Picked up a Macallan 18 for $53 in a small town store. Clerk said he didnt understand why they sent it to him. "aint nobody 'round here gunna buy that......"

I'll agree that it sounds like an urban legend but it wouldn't surprise me.

As recently as 2011, one of my local stores has Lot B marked "on sale"

for $39. When I brought the three bottles to the register, the clerk asked

me "You're gonna buy all of these?!"

(Note - this same store clerk also looked at me funny when I scooped up

a bunch of "marked down" Weller Centennials oh so long ago...)

You know I found out that this was actually true. They had 10, Lot B, and 15 on the shelf for nearly a year.

Though the "sent it back" was not necessarily true. She sent it to another liquor store here in the state where it was quickly snatched up. Suffice it to say I will be keeping this store on my radar.

I thought you were going to say that being so old it was past it's use by date.

Do you guys consider Lot B true PVW? I have never had but does the BT version measure up to the 15, 20 and 23.

I can't tell the difference between the current Lot B and W12. ORVW is better to me.

Edit: and isn't the most recent PVW 15 BT juice as well?

Edited by smknjoe

Do you guys consider Lot B true PVW? I have never had but does the BT version measure up to the 15, 20 and 23.

Lot B is labeled Van Winkle Special Reserve, not Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve, so my answer is 'no'. It's good (I remember it being better, but I think that about a lot of things), but it's not PVW good.

Lot B is labeled Van Winkle Special Reserve, not Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve, so my answer is 'no'. It's good (I remember it being better, but I think that about a lot of things), but it's not PVW good.

Yes. Was wondering what people thought.

Taste wise I would still take the Lot B over W12, but considering the price difference and (relative) ease of availability I opt for the Weller.

As to Lot B, I have ample W12 around, but when a friendly local retailer offered me two bottles of Lot B this past winter at $40 apiece, I did not hesitate. I have always been a fan of Lot B, and these bottles have not disappointed. YMMV, but I would pay up to $50 for a bottle of Lot B.

I can't tell the difference between the current Lot B and W12. ORVW is better to me.

Edit: and isn't the most recent PVW 15 BT juice as well?

Good luck finding an answer on that one. Chances are that everything 15 and under is bt. Unless they are mixing in a few very old barrels into the 15. But why would they do that when they could put them in the 20yr and get double the price.

Jason Pyle said that the fall 2011 release of the 15 was 100% BT juice for the first time. Source was Preston Van Winkle.

I never had the S-W 15 yr, but the new BT 15 did not compare to the 20 yr at all. It was more similar to WLW, but not as good.

The first release of JPS17 was much closer to the Pappy 20, and better, than the current Pappy 15. Just my 2¢.

Edited by black mamba

I'm with you. I did a blind tasting of Lot B and W12, and there were only some subtle differences in the two for me (my palette is not nearly as sensitive as some of these tasters that get like 15 different flavors out of one whiskey). That makes Lot B definitely not worth the extra dough. Although neither of them are worth much to me...blasphemy I know. I have just found through a year and a half of exploring bourbons that I'm a rye guy. I like a wheater now and then, but when push comes to shove give me that spicy rye :grin:.

There is no more SW juice to be bottled, anywhere. Unless you count Bernhiem juice as SW. The, Maybe. UD sold out in 1992so we may have a little more of that for the 20 and 23. From the statements I have read from those who should know, either 2013 or 2014 (cant remeber) the 20 is all BT and by 2016 the 23 is gone as well.

There is no more SW juice to be bottled, anywhere...

There most certainly is :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.