Cutty Sark Prohibition

WhiskyRI
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My local store has the Cutty Sark Prohibition on sale for $30, that combined with the Whiskey Advocate’s Top 10 whiskies of the summer which ranked Prohibition at #7 – convinced me to open my wallet. http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2013/05/13/top-10-whiskies-reviewed-in-whisky-advocates-summer-issue/

Very pleasantly surprised – it’s a cracking good dram, especially for the price point. Reminds me of a good highland style – touch of smoke, good mouth-feel, bit of sherry. Really very nice and at 50% ABV, it sneaks up on you with its smoothness.

If you’ve tried it, what are your thoughts on it?

• 4 weeks later...

Ill buy this one on sight, but I haven't seen it yet. If anyone has any knowledge about distribution (particularly Texas, but elsewhere as well) I'd love to hear it.

I have never tired Cutty Sark but I have always been interested since that was the spirit of choice by Vince Lombardi. I know that is a stupid reason. I have never had a high level scotch. If you were to compare Cutty Sark to a bourbon, what would be comparable?

To a Bourbon Four Roses Yellow Label but that sort of comparison really doesn't work. Cutty is a blended Scotch in the lighter style and any Straight Bourbon is going to be a good bit more robust in flavor and texture. One of the dryer Canadian house styles would be closer as they essentially copied the Scots model for blending whisky.

To a Bourbon Four Roses Yellow Label but that sort of comparison really doesn't work. Cutty is a blended Scotch in the lighter style and any Straight Bourbon is going to be a good bit more robust in flavor and texture. One of the dryer Canadian house styles would be closer as they essentially copied the Scots model for blending whisky.

So maybe something like Canadian Club or Crown Royal....It sounds like I am not missing much.

Traditional CC with more floral notes perhaps, Crown Royal is too sweet to compare.

Ill buy this one on sight, but I haven't seen it yet. If anyone has any knowledge about distribution (particularly Texas, but elsewhere as well) I'd love to hear it.

The latest info I heard was that it will start being distributed in the U.S. in the September/October time frame.

@johnhansell - interesting. I wonder if Rhode Island is a test market then? Might be a rare case of for once Rhode Island gets something ahead of most places - which is usually not the case at all. I do know that it is not moving off the shelves very quickly here in Providence - my guess is the lack of any marketing support combined with Cutty's reputation is not helping the cause. Hopefully when it launches there will be a big marketing push ala Monkey Shoulder because I'd like to see quality drams like this one succeed.

• 4 weeks later...
@johnhansell - interesting. I wonder if Rhode Island is a test market then? Might be a rare case of for once Rhode Island gets something ahead of most places - which is usually not the case at all. I do know that it is not moving off the shelves very quickly here in Providence - my guess is the lack of any marketing support combined with Cutty's reputation is not helping the cause. Hopefully when it launches there will be a big marketing push ala Monkey Shoulder because I'd like to see quality drams like this one succeed.

I too have been waiting eagerly for CS Prohibition to appear here in southeast Florida. In the latest edition of Whisky Advocate, John Hansell himself gave it 90 points, a phenomenally high rating for what is essentially a blended Scotch (as opposed to a generally more highly regarded single malt). As one who enjoys excellent bourbon as well as single malt scotch, a couple of the reasons I'm curious to try CS Prohibition is that it's extremely rare to find a worthwhile scotch blend that's significantly over 40% ABV (CS Pro is 50%!!) and for a reportedly extremely reasonable price, i.e., around $30.

Hey New, good first post. Why don't you step over to out new to straightbourbon forum and introduce yourself.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.