BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry I'm late. Been pretty busy lately, and it slipped my mind. Besides, there's no way I could be early three months in a row.:lol:

Wild Turkey Rye 101. It's been talked about on the site lately. It's one of a number of bourbons/ryes that is either losing it's age statement, changing proof, or disappearing completely. It's this months Bourbon Of The Month.

Once again, I haven't had this one, so no comments from me. Let's hear it for Wild Turkey Rye 101. Cheers!

WT 101 Rye is a very tasty pour, not a punch you in the face kind of rye but works wells as a daily pour. I have 20+ bottles bunkered as with any label change always comes the chance that the new stuff just won't be the same.. It is now very hard to find in my area and I don't think I have seen a bottle local to me in about 3 months...

I have 20+ bottles bunkered... It is now very hard to find in my area and I don't think I have seen a bottle local to me in about 3 months...

I wonder why it sold out? :)

I haven't had any but I do see it on shelves around here still. Maybe I'll grab a bottle in the next couple of weeks. I know there has been lots of rumors of it being dicontinued but this seems to contradict that: http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2013/05/lovin-turkey.html

Grab them. The Campari Group has made it all too clear that they specialize in removing their good whiskey from the market and replacing it with younger and/or more expensive juice that doesn't taste nearly as good.

I have put away 6 bottles. I was skeptical of the rye at first b/c I was not a fan of the bird bourbon. I had a pour of the Rye and loved it, ford its value. I think I paid $18 for a the bottles I gobbled up, pun intended. Makes great Manhattans and rye old fashioned's. if I see any available in the wild I buy them if they are around the $20 range.

Mike

Not that it makes much difference but I am curious. I was thinking that Russell's Reserve Rye is distilled by LDI (or whatever their name is). Is this true? If so, then the next question is, does LDI also distill WTR 101? It seems like a lot of bottles of rye seem to come from LDI (e.g., Willett, others).

I'm pretty sure WT makes their own rye.

I was a fan of the 101 when it was available and when it was under $20. I never loved it as much as a lot of folks on here, though. Not enough to bunker it, anyway.

WT Rye 101 is/was a very good value whiskey. Too bad it probably won't be back. Unfortunately, I killed the last of mine a couple of months ago.

Think I'll have some tonight and share some thoughts later. Certainly one I would by on the regular if that were still a possibility. I might I have enough to last until it comes back, at least.

People above summed it pretty good. I have a couple bunkered and will drink in the future.

I always thought the WTR was a solid rye to have around and at a managable price point.I would always have a Saz,Ritt,LDI of some sort and a WT open as a variance of styles and flavors,all good enough to drink neat or to make a cocktail if inclined to do so.The rye was always around $22-$24 dollars when available,but like so many before it they have disappeared from store shelves to be replaced by an inferior product.I hope to see its return but I guess only time shall tell.

Looks like I may be the oddball here. My first (and only) bottle was one of the few I've given away after trying a number of times and just not liking.

When it was announced it was going away, I bunkered quite a few. $17 and change here in Ohio. I like it, a decent value pour rye. Not a complex whiskey, but certainly easy drinking.

And the TTB COLA website shows approval for a new 101 label.

Edited by Phil T

I have only about 1/3 bottle left and have been nursing it along (i.e., not drinking it) because of its "historic" value. (Yes, I know that's dumb.) I like it better than the current WT101 bourbon but not as much as Baby Saz, RRR, or Bulleit 95 Rye.

We were told on the WT tour last week that they hope to bring it back in about 2 years or so.

We were told on the WT tour last week that they hope to bring it back in about 2 years or so.

We heard the same thing last year. "About" is a marvelous word.

About as long as the preliminary market research stage which follows.

Haha, nice.

They told Chuck Cowdery it would be back in 2013.

I just talked to both Jimmy and Eddie Russell. There probably won't be any more 101 rye until 2013, but it will be back. Saw the new one. Label does not have a big '81' on it like the bourbon does, though otherwise it's pretty similar.

Jimmy was also excited to tell me that they just broke ground for the new bottling hall. He hates having it bottled in Arkansas.

Which reminds, me, I need to go post in that thread once summer officially hits... :skep:

I have two bunkered, and left the last couple I saw on the shelf. Around here it seems we always got hosed on the price; at just under $30. It tastes drier than the LDI juice, and younger than Rittenhouse.

I have two bunkered, and left the last couple I saw on the shelf. Around here it seems we always got hosed on the price; at just under $30. It tastes drier than the LDI juice, and younger than Rittenhouse.

Paul,

As a few Indy guy, just curious. Where and how long ago? :grin:

Thanks

Mike

WTR 101 was what the other WT expressions used to be: a straight forward, honest, in-your-face (in a good way), unapologetic whiskey. I fear if it ever comes back to market it will have devolved like the other WT whiskies.... shadows of their former selves. Sigh. :frown:

Edited by jburlowski

WTR 101 was what the other WT expressions used to be: a straight forward, honest, in-your-face (in a good way), unapologetic whiskey. I fear if it ever comes back to market it will have devolved like the other WT whiskies.... shadows of their former selves. Sigh. :frown:
I'm curious about this. I watched an interview with Jimmy Russell on Youtube where he says they make everything exactly the same way as when he got there in the 1950s. He talked about how other brands have compromised their products over the years but how he refuses to change. Are you referring to the bourbon itself, or the way it's marketed?

I think this is a spot-on description: in-your-face but in a good way - spicy rye with a bit of mint and cinnamon with a bold oaky dry finish. I do not typically bunker whiskey, but this was one where I did buy a few before it disappeared from the shelves. It will be a shame if this doesn't come back as strong as it was - it was only about 4 yrs old, right? Does anyone know the average age of the 101? Would it really take that long to get it back on the shelf given, I assume, they have the 81 in regular production?

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.