BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I really enjoyed this one and put a few on reserve when I heard it was going away. I drank JB rye for a while, but this was the first one to really give me an impression of what rye was all about. As others have said, it's in-your-face, but in a good way. It is very rye forward without being unbalanced or unpleasant. Here's hoping they bring it back intact.

I think this is a spot-on description: in-your-face but in a good way - spicy rye with a bit of mint and cinnamon with a bold oaky dry finish. I do not typically bunker whiskey, but this was one where I did buy a few before it disappeared from the shelves. It will be a shame if this doesn't come back as strong as it was - it was only about 4 yrs old, right? Does anyone know the average age of the 101? Would it really take that long to get it back on the shelf given, I assume, they have the 81 in regular production?

If you watch the video Jimmy Russell says it's 6-7 yr and that rye whiskey is for mixin' :grin:

I noticed that, and his insistence that they still make the whisky "the same way" though we know they don't. With deference to the gentleman I am mindful that since the French bought the company in 1980 he has been a company spokesman and they write the tune he sings.

If you watch the video Jimmy Russell says it's 6-7 yr and that rye whiskey is for mixin' :grin:

Thanks - even a better value than I thought! And Mr. Russell is right, it does make a nice Manhattan - but rye ain't just for mixin' anymore ... :drink:

I noticed that, and his insistence that they still make the whisky "the same way" though we know they don't. With deference to the gentleman I am mindful that since the French bought the company in 1980 he has been a company spokesman and they write the tune he sings.
He's a pretty good spokesman. I went out and bought my first bottle of WT101 right after watching that interview. He came across as totally believable to me.

Last year I bought a few of these solely based on input from members here, and when I finally got around to opening one I found out that I love it. Unfortunately I have 1 open (over half gone) and only 2 stored away...and one of those is suspect (has some white flakes in the bottom of it...I read about the white flakes somewhere on here, but can't remember what that is). If I see this around I'll be buying a few more.

Last year I bought a few of these solely based on input from members here, and when I finally got around to opening one I found out that I love it. Unfortunately I have 1 open (over half gone) and only 2 stored away...and one of those is suspect (has some white flakes in the bottom of it...I read about the white flakes somewhere on here, but can't remember what that is). If I see this around I'll be buying a few more.

Similar mistake i made. I figured these fine SB.com gentlemen couldn't be wrong...bought 1 @$23, sat on it for 6+ months (just had other bottles in rotation). Finally cracked open and promptly kicked myself.

Very drinkable, good balance of spice and mouthfeel. 1 or 2 cubes in hot KY weather and it tastes like i'm drinking sunshine.

Big fan of this rye. Snatched up a couple bottles when driving around kentucky sometime this past winter. Great stuff.

WTR 101 was what the other WT expressions used to be: a straight forward, honest, in-your-face (in a good way), unapologetic whiskey. I fear if it ever comes back to market it will have devolved like the other WT whiskies.... shadows of their former selves. Sigh. :frown:

Got one of these suckers back at Christmas-time because of all the news about it going away. Not much of a fan, the minty flavor is just to prominent for me.

Not 'bad' but I won't miss it when it's gone (still got a few pours left...)

I've only had the 81 at home, but I sampled the 101 at the distillery a couple of times. I'll drink either.

Still finding a few bottles in Indiana in the $23 - $25 range. I guess I better buy some before it disappears.

A bunch of these showed up recently at several local stores. Must have been constipation somewhere in the supply chain

So how do we get a concrete confirmation on if this stuff is coming back or not? I would say the COLA application is a step in the right direction though....

This happens to be my favorite whiskey and my 15 bottles I stockpiled won't last forever! I need to know if I have to go out and somehow find more!

I love when the BOTM thread makes me pull a bottle off the shelf that I've been ignoring for too long. I actually bought this bottle of WT rye quite a while ago, I'm guessing 5 or 6 years. When I first opened it, I thought it was too hot - whatever good flavor was there was overshadowed by the alcohol burn. But after it had been opened for a while it eventually settled down and came into its own.

It's just a good, solid, well-rounded rye. My bottle is a little less than half full, and still drinking very nicely after being opened for several years. I might have to pick up a bottle of the 81 proof rye now just to see how it compares.

I like the WTR101, very good for the price. I usually use it to make Old Fashioneds, but also drink it neat on occasion.

So how do we get a concrete confirmation on if this stuff is coming back or not? I would say the COLA application is a step in the right direction though....

This happens to be my favorite whiskey and my 15 bottles I stockpiled won't last forever! I need to know if I have to go out and somehow find more!

I would hold your enthusiasm myself (I am). I loved the old stuff also but I think it is a sure bet the new stuff will be younger.

Just picked up my first WTR101 last night and cracked it this morning. I've had a bottle of 81 that I thought was alright (I know some folks thought it was horse piss). At $25 a bottle, it seems like a pretty good value. Without doing a side-by-side, my guess is that it would hold up against the young Willett FERs that are typically around 110 proof (but typically $35 around these parts). Maybe not quite as good, but at 2/3 the cost - a pretty nice rye. Not sure I'll make the 90 minute round-trip drive to pick the other up though, since it sounds like WT will bring back the 101 at some point (although it may not be nearly as good - I know).

The 81 proof is now everywhere, but the 101 WT Rye is gone or very scarce in Japan. (But I got a couple bunkered. I'm a big fan of the stuff.)

It's all gone in NWGA and the WTR81 is horrible. Gonna make a run to Chattanooga tomorrow and see if I can find any.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.