BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't like it. The 81 proof rye makes it tastes like VWFRR, tho.

:lol::slappin:

With all due respect to Josh, I do love the old WT101Rye. Bought a case when it was going away, but like an idiot I'm down to 3 bottles. When I open a bottle, it goes fast. I don't drink nearly as much Rye as I did a couple years ago, but the 101 remains my favorite everyday Rye pour. When, and if, it does come back, I'll try it with an open mind, but I don't have high hopes.

On a related note, while I don't care for Baby Saz(Medicinal finish), and I do enjoy RittBIB, WT101 was in a class above, IMHO. I view it as the last great WT bottling to bite the dust.

I've never cared for Baby Saz, and frankly I'm not a big Handy fan either. I would probably take the Turkey 81 over either. Turkey 101 was the first rye I ever tried (a distillery sample), and I like high rye content bourbons, but I have never found another rye I enjoyed as much as I expected to.

After reading the reviews I have been trying to find a bottle of this in the S.Carolina area with no luck!! Going to keep searching :)

I wouldn't say the 81 is horrid - just really, really thin. I really like the WTR101 and it makes a mean Manhattan, too. I still see it on the shelves from time to time.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

This was my first rye.  I remember it well, better than my first kiss.   :unsure:

It was March 2010, and I was planning for a stiff hike that weekend up to Jones Mountain Cabin in the Shenandoah National Park.  I bought a book about the cabin and learned it had been owned for a long time by a rye whiskey moonshiner, and my curiosity was aroused.  Sure, rye was rough, coarse frontier swill, but we were going to be hiking up to a primitive cabin after all, cooking on the open fire and cutting our own firewood.  Seemed to fit, so off I went to the nearest liquor store.  Why not try it?

I found a Canadian for $50.  It just didn't seem right  (price, origin) , so I kept looking.  Then, eureka!  By then I had adopted Wild Turkey 101 as my go-to bourbon, and there was a 101 Rye on the shelf, and only $20!  Sold.   

The hike was stiff, quite a bit of altitude gain and in deep snow to boot as we ascended to higher altitudes.  We found the cabin, and by evening we had the place feeling downright cozy.  One of the guys brought wine for our dinner, and afterward we settled around the fireplace and I opened the rye.  I was astonished, quite frankly.  This wasn't rough and coarse at all, it was a terrific mouthful of rye and lingering spice that paired perfectly with our weekend retreat.  I've been about 50% rye ever since, but I really miss the WT 101, my first rye love.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.