Trip to Scotland and Ireland

bgageus
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My inlaws are heading for a 3 week trip at the end of July and are willing to do some searching for me. I am a foreign whiskey novice, but cant pass up the offer to get some brought back. Two questions, is there a reasonable method to ship their finds back to me, and what do I ask them for. Something obviously that I cant really get here.

Not alot there you can't get in Houston, or something similar, unless you're talking about some very high end (expensive) limited release singles such as a 16 year distillery expression Mortlach.

I would have them grab some of the difficult to find blends such as Blue Hanger or Bailie Nicol Jarvie. The merchants can arrange shipping so as to insure safety and avoid VAT.

From Ireland I would recommend Green spot and Yellow spot Irish whiskies. Neither are available in the US and both are very good.

Edited by p_elliott

There's a Cadenhead shop in Edinburgh, as far as I know their bottlings isn't available in the US. They even bottle bourbons, but they are rare.

Steffen

ingstingst

There's a Cadenhead shop in Edinburgh, as far as I know their bottlings isn't available in the US. They even bottle bourbons, but they are rare.

Steffen

They just told me they are heading to this shop for a tasting. I forgot about the spots, that will be on the ask list.

Steffen

Cadenheads also does gin and, as we discovered last night, some nice rums! Steve had a 25 yo Demerara rum from Cadenhead which had been aged in Campbelton, Scotland. The current owners of the brand also own Springbank.

I will second the Cadenhead's visit. They have 4-6 live casks, one of each main style of Scotland - from which you can bottle your own in 750 or 200ml bottles for about $75 or so a bottle at cask strength It isn't cheap but it is unique here in the US. If your in-laws are willing to visit a distillery, have them pick up distillery only bottlings from their visit which can only be bought at the distillery. Glengoyne is super close to Glasgow and not that far from Edinburgh and it is a very picturesque tour. Cadenhead's was super helpful once they realized I was buying whiskey and not looking for a $20 bottle with my clan name. They boxed up my seven bottles in a box inside of another box with peanuts. Checked it as luggage and it came through customs without having to pay extra duty. Super easy. Not sure of your budget but it is very easy to spend a lot their shop. You can buy their gin here in the US - it's called Old Raj. In addition Royal Mile Whiskies was also super helpful, and once again once they realized I was actually into whisky they trotted out all kinds of interesting things to taste they normally don't waste on lookie-loos. And finally right up the right mile is the megaplex Scotch Whisky Experience. It's a fun touristy tour with a very large shop. Not sure if your in-laws are into whisky or not but that should keep them busy in Scotland.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as Irish whiskey, Jamesons Crested Ten is a Ireland/Europe bottling that is tricky to find at times and very good!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.