Periodic Table of Scotch Whisky

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of boxes in the closed distillery section that are shaded pink makes me a bit angry.

Sad but some are closed for good reason. On the bright side, there are lots of new distilleries firing up selling juice not distilled by said distillery ;/)

We haven't lost anything we can't live with5-20out.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Many people go on and on about losing all these wonderful distilleries and blame the accountants for closing them when at the time they were closed no one was buying the output. If the whisky was so good, why was no one buying it? The simple answer is ... the stuff they were producing wasn't all that great. For some of the closed distilleries (ex Brora, Port Ellen) some great barrels survived 30+ years and I think the nostalgia has made them appear greater than they were had they been bottled at 10/12/15 years of age like 99.9% of all malts.

I bet the same people that give high scores to the Broras, Port Ellens, and others would give the same scores if 30+ year old Caol Ila/Talisker/Lagavulin (the survivors of the closures) liquid was put in the bottles with Brora/Port Ellen labels.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Many people go on and on about losing all these wonderful distilleries and blame the accountants for closing them when at the time they were closed no one was buying the output. If the whisky was so good, why was no one buying it? The simple answer is ... the stuff they were producing wasn't all that great. For some of the closed distilleries (ex Brora, Port Ellen) some great barrels survived 30+ years and I think the nostalgia has made them appear greater than they were had they been bottled at 10/12/15 years of age like 99.9% of all malts.

I bet the same people that give high scores to the Broras, Port Ellens, and others would give the same scores if 30+ year old Caol Ila/Talisker/Lagavulin (the survivors of the closures) liquid was put in the bottles with Brora/Port Ellen labels.

There's a lot to be said for that, though aging also can transform a workmanlike distillate (as Port Ellen was considered) into a very good scotch. A more contemporary example is Littlemill. Often regarded as one of the very worst distilleries in Scotland, all of a sudden, tons of barrels are being bottled at 20+ years of age, and whaddya know, people say they taste pretty good. I've only had one sample, and while it was fairly straightforward, it was indeed tasty and right up my alley with its austere, lemony, barley profile. Nostalgia is a big part of it, and the romanticism in whisky is rampant, but I doubt anyone shed a tear for Littlemill when it closed. It appears as though a kind of crappy whisky started to improve with time.

edit: not that I'm arguing against your contention. I nodded my head so fiercely when I read your post that my wife thought I was headbanging. I mentioned in another post that old Caol Ilas are referenced as being as good as Port Ellen, and at half the cost. Smart shoppers know what to do! Older Taliskers, other than the official bottlings, are impossible to find, so they're off my radar, but if you've found some indies, do tell!

Edited by bad_scientist

I agree portwood, and not just aged but who aged it and how matters a great deal. There is a world of difference between a first fill Sherry cask and a third fill worn out hogshead.

I miss distilleries like Rosebank, Caperdonich, Brora and Port Ellen. I dont think anything made today replicates these.

Steffem

Steffem I've had bottles of Rosebank, Brora and Port Ellen and found them pleasant enough but can't really say I miss them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.