K&L removes the feline from the poke

AGarrison
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since K&L wont turn on comments, I have to pound my head on the keyboard here. The veterans of this board have long noted that inexpensive doesnt always mean low quality. In fact we know quite a few bourbons and whiskies that are great but dont break the bank. Looks like some others are catching on now too (http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2013/6/13/drinking-to-drink.html ).

My consolation is K&L's blog is read mostly by those who already know these facts; pretty much preaching to the choir, thank goodness. I hope to never see the day when my everyday whiskies start exploding in price like we see with Scotch.

I have a big issue with the idea that whiskey should be kept secret.

Yes, it's harder to find some bottlings now due to their popularity. Yes, the qualities of some bottlings are being reduced due to their popularity.

But you know what? I'm a relative newbie. So are you, OP. I've been accepted here with open arms. No one has any right to grumble over new drinkers discovering whiskey, or discovering pours that are great values, or discovering one particular "hidden secret" pour. Good for K&L for writing that blog post. Whiskey's good. I welcome all who want to drink it to do so. I don't expect them to limit themselves to trendy expressions.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Name-dropping OGD and OWA in a niche blog doesn't seem like cause for concern. There's plenty of that stuff to go around. There's eventually going to be an equalization between the consumer and the supply and I think we're getting close to it. If everybody starts freaking out over OWA, maybe I can find a few bottles of WLW13 this year.

The Old Grandites have been quietly infiltrating and taking over while you guys didn't even notice . . . haha, hahahaha, (sound of gradually receding maniacal cackle).

If he allowed comments, I'd let Driscoll in on a little secret about why many spirits drinkers don't bother with "everyday" spirits (although of course he is wrong that OGD and others don't get talked about on message boards). When you open a bottle of beer, or a bottle of wine, you feel compelled to use the whole thing up pretty quickly. Most people simply can't afford to open a "top shelf" beer or wine on a daily basis, or don't want to spend that much even if they can afford it. Spirits, however, can be consumed a little at a time over a long period. You can have a nip of a top shelfer any night of the week you feel like it without feeling committed to drinking an expensive quantity. Plus, the per serving cost of a highly regarded whiskey like Stagg, ECBP or whatever, is still typically way lower than that of similarly esteemed wine or beer. (Hell, one reason I started renewing my interest in whiskey was my frustration with the escalating price of many good cellarable beers.) So the practical fact is people can generally afford to be pickier when it comes to spirits. At least for now.

That is my challenge - it isn't that I don't enjoy EWBL, but I can only drink so many pours a week/month/year. If I didn't buy another bottle, I'd go without wanting for several years. To BigBoldBully's point - if I survived only on GTS, ECBP, FR1B, etc - unless I was pouring several ounces a day, it wouldn't break the bank. It may be that when I retire my budget requires that to change - and I just hope OGD 114 and other gems are still available :)

Sometimes, just like with beer or wine, I just want a drink without having to think about it - a cold beer after working in the yard, a simple glass of wine with some cheese, or OGD, JB Black, or most recently VOB BiB when working the grill, watching TV or reading a book. Like session beers, just something nice, quality, and enjoyable without requiring so much ... attention, I guess.

Top shelf just doesn't fit for me in all situations. A premium Cab or whisk(e)y require attention and in some situations, well, it is just distracting!

Here in Australia our most expensive nationally available (not limited edition) bottle to buy at retail is Bookers for $90. Using a standard 30ml pour which is what you'd get in any Aussie bar when asking for a shot of whiskey, that's 25 standard drinks per bottle at $3.60 per pour. In most bars a Jim Beam White 30ml shot and coke would set you back at least $4, so I figure buying top shelf to consume at home is a bargain here. I know our market is unique (:horseshit:) and doesn't reflect US prices, but it does make an interesting comparison.

I have a big issue with the idea that whiskey should be kept secret.

Yes, it's harder to find some bottlings now due to their popularity. Yes, the qualities of some bottlings are being reduced due to their popularity.

But you know what? I'm a relative newbie. So are you, OP. I've been accepted here with open arms. No one has any right to grumble over new drinkers discovering whiskey, or discovering pours that are great values, or discovering one particular "hidden secret" pour. Good for K&L for writing that blog post. Whiskey's good. I welcome all who want to drink it to do so. I don't expect them to limit themselves to trendy expressions.

i freely admit my statement is selfish. doesnt change my opinion, but the world would be a boring place if everyone agreed with me.

The comments in that post only make sense for drinkers who are more concerned about what others see them drinking. The rest of us know the difference between an everyday pour and a special occasion bottle, though as BBB and Gary point out the consumption quantities make that distinction a bit less of a concern for whiskey vs. beer or wine. Sounds to me like K&L is just looking to move more mid/lower shelf bottles. Keep in mind that they are a retailer.

K&L has kind of backed themselves into a corner. They built a big following but can't get the allocations they used (nobody can). The American whiskey shelves there are barren, filled with craft distillers and NDPs. The time when people are freaking out about OWA is already here. K&L's OWA barrel selection showed up last week sold out in hours and the Henry McKenna selection they emailed about yesterday is almost gone. I love the blog they run, but currently they are using it to sell the only things they can get, even Old Crow.

They've got Old Crow Reserve listed as "this is the value-priced mixer you've been dreaming of", who writes this stuff?

They've got Old Crow Reserve listed as "this is the value-priced mixer you've been dreaming of", who writes this stuff?

I'd love to know what it would say were you the author, Squire.

... using it to sell the only things they can get, even Old Crow.
Edited by AGarrison

My feeling is that mr Driscoll is speaking from his experience and not from a desire to push certain products using his blog. I think the price per serving is a reason why people are ok hunting expensive whisky bottles especially if your mentality is to stock a few nice things on the bar that will sit there looking good for a few years or to give as gifts or to bunker. For The everyday pours you also dont need to summon the salesman. For a $23 bottle of booze I can just take a chance on this one or that one. When people become mature in a hobby, they tend to appreciate the "value items". I see it with wine all the time in the restaurant. It's the newbies that look for the namedropping bottles. It shows they know somethin. My 2 cents

When people become mature in a hobby, they tend to appreciate the "value items". I see it with wine all the time in the restaurant. It's the newbies that look for the namedropping bottles. It shows they know somethin. My 2 cents

SB Exhibit A: Sir Squire

:D

When people become mature in a hobby, they tend to appreciate the "value items". I see it with wine all the time in the restaurant. It's the newbies that look for the namedropping bottles.

The Restaurant Man makes a cogent observation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.