What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sounds nice. Which Yuu Baal Joven did you pick up? I bought a bottle of the Madrecuixe a little while back but haven't opened it yet

Don't recall, other than it was the cheapest and I think it had a pink label. Looking forward to trying a more expensive version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying the entry level Del Maguey Vida. I see more bottles of Mezcal in my future.

41 minutes ago, savagehenry42 said:

Enjoying the entry level Del Maguey Vida. I see more bottles of Mezcal in my future.

Del Maguey's Chichicapa is a really nice mezcal, if you're looking for another one to try.

I opened a bottle of this last night.  Fantastic sipping tequila. 

IMG_3685.JPG

828ebd22e141b766832230b25c9e0f18.jpg

Enjoying a nice pour of Alipus San Juan Mezcal. Being new to Mezcal I'm finding they all taste the same to me, but that's ok because it is fantastic stuff. Need to do a side by side soon to get some nuance.

• 1 month later...

The CEHT BP I had earlier tonight hit me harder than expected, so my second pour is the only 40% abv I have on hand: Martell Cordon Bleu.

Chattin it up with CMeOx, where he mentioned homemade limoncello.  Decided to take a pull out of my own batch from the fridge.  Very nice on a warm and muggy night, though I'll knock back the sugar with next batch.  I store it in a bottle that Mrssmokinjoe and I brought back from our trip to Italy several years ago, where we had limoncello for the first time  I knew the empty would come in handy!  :lol:

IMG_3833.JPG

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Chattin it up with CMeOx, where he mentioned homemade limoncello.  Decided to take a pull out of my own batch from the fridge.  Very nice on a warm and muggy night, though I'll knock back the sugar with next batch.  I store it in a bottle that Mrssmokinjoe and I brought back from our trip to Italy several years ago, where we had limoncello for the first time  I knew the empty would come in handy!  :lol:

Well now. Didn't see you as the sort who was busily humming about the kitchen whilst you whipped up a batch of oleo-saccharum! :o

• 1 month later...

This thread is getting neglected. Enjoying some Martell Cordon Bleu while cooking dinner. This one really came together after a year of oxidization, it is draining fast now.

IMG_20170930_202740.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Opened up this prickly pear spirit from Ventura Spirits tonight. It smells like watermelon jolly ranchers, but the palate is earthier with just a little of the fruitiness from the nose. I’m pretty impressed with this - might have to grab some of the strawberry brandy they put out as well.
c6bdd4dc131e999a36841d70e44c1526.jpg

20 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Opened up this prickly pear spirit from Ventura Spirits tonight. It smells like watermelon jolly ranchers, but the palate is earthier with just a little of the fruitiness from the nose. I’m pretty impressed with this - might have to grab some of the strawberry brandy they put out as well.
c6bdd4dc131e999a36841d70e44c1526.jpg

What the heck is that thing? I am intrigued, as if I don't have enough backlog in the stash.

Another Martell Cordon Bleu while cooking today. Drinking in an oversized bubble red wine glass today, and I must say this is a much better fit than a Glencairn for Cognac.

16 hours ago, Kane said:

What the heck is that thing? I am intrigued, as if I don't have enough backlog in the stash.

Another Martell Cordon Bleu while cooking today. Drinking in an oversized bubble red wine glass today, and I must say this is a much better fit than a Glencairn for Cognac.

Pretty wild, eh? From what I can tell it is made entirely from fermented prickly pears, the fruit on the prickly pear cactus, aka Opuntia (hence the name). It's quite tasty, too!

Yeah sometimes a glencairn just doesn't feel quite right when drinking non-whiskey spirits. Since you're digging brandy, you could pick up a brandy snifter - they come in a wide variety of sizes from 2oz to several liters. I prefer the 5oz because it's usually perfect for a 2-3oz pour, and it feels sturdier than a glencairn.

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I love this distillery.

IMG_20171019_224533487.jpg

They do seem to be rather hip and trendy! Two things that I know little or nothing about. Do the millennials even say "hip" and "trendy" these days???

My hip hurts occasionally. Does that count? :huh:

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

They do seem to be rather hip and trendy! Two things that I know little or nothing about. Do the millennials even say "hip" and "trendy" these days???

My hip hurts occasionally. Does that count? :huh:

Bruce you're more hip to the spirits game than anyone else I know of any age. As for whether millennials say "hip" and "trendy", well yes they (ok fine, we) do, although I'm not sure if that's justification more for using them or not using them.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I love this distillery.

That 3 Marlenas is probably my favorite product from C&K so far. The fruit from the brandy pairs beautifully with the tequila notes. I'm glad I'm not alone in liking it - hopefully it means they'll continue to create strange and wonderful things like this.

Edited by Kpiz

5 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

That 3 Marlenas is probably my favorite product from C&K so far. The fruit from the brandy pairs beautifully with the tequila notes. I'm glad I'm not alone in liking it - hopefully it means they'll continue to create strange and wonderful things like this.

OK, you have convinced me! I picked up what appears to be the last one at K&L. Of course you know what that means...

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

OK, you have convinced me! I picked up what appears to be the last one at K&L. Of course you know what that means...

Yep, I got it ;)

I thought I sent you a sample of this at some point but maybe not.

11 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Yep, I got it ;)

I thought I sent you a sample of this at some point but maybe not.

You probably have! I am as far behind on my inventory of samples as I am on my inventory of bottles.

I probably need to dedicate a full weekend to going through everything! Maybe a full week... :unsure:

32 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Bruce you're more hip to the spirits game than anyone else I know of any age. As for whether millennials say "hip" and "trendy", well yes they (ok fine, we) do, although I'm not sure if that's justification more for using them or not using them.

I'm not sure I like it more than Butchertown but I do like it quite a bit, I also grabbed one of the Kraftworks Brandy's (Sierra Nevada Chocolate Cherry Stout Barrels) last November but have yet to open it, I had had a 3 Floyds (forget what beer) finished at Against the Grain maybe last March which was stellar so I figured I would take a shot.

4 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You probably have! I am as far behind on my inventory of samples as I am on my inventory of bottles.

I probably need to dedicate a full weekend to going through everything! Maybe a full week... :unsure:

This is not a fun project, I just did an inventory on my North American Whiskey's for a sample swap when another SB'er visits the states and it took a few days and I'm fairly sure I have a significantly smaller stash, I realized I need to probably work on what is open which will take some time since I counted 121 open and I didn't eve start with other spirits yet. 

23 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well you'll have some extra time in the near future, right? ;) 

32 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm not sure I like it more than Butchertown but I do like it quite a bit, I also grabbed one of the Kraftworks Brandy's (Sierra Nevada Chocolate Cherry Stout Barrels) last November but have yet to open it, I had had a 3 Floyds (forget what beer) finished at Against the Grain maybe last March which was stellar so I figured I would take a shot.

I have a bottle of the Craftwork finished in 3 Floyds Dark Lord barrels - is that the one you're referring to? I like that one but it took me a while to warm up to it. A friend of mine, however, loved it.

28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

This is not a fun project, I just did an inventory on my North American Whiskey's for a sample swap when another SB'er visits the states and it took a few days and I'm fairly sure I have a significantly smaller stash, I realized I need to probably work on what is open which will take some time since I counted 121 open and I didn't eve start with other spirits yet. 

I'm impressed you have 121 open. My overall bunker is fairly large but I probably only have 60 or so total bottles open (including bourbon, scotch, rum, brandy, etc.)

17 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Well you'll have some extra time in the near future, right? ;) 

Nothing but time starting January! I hope...

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

9 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'm impressed you have 121 open. My overall bunker is fairly large but I probably only have 60 or so total bottles open (including bourbon, scotch, rum, brandy, etc.)

I probably have about 121 closed. That leaves only about 1000 bottles open... :o

OK, maybe not quite that extreme but it feels that way sometimes! Just opened two different bottles of Four Pillars gin, a bottle of Joseph Magnus, a bottle of Springbank 19yo rechar sherry single barrel and a bottle of Mezcal Vago Ensamble an Barro 2 nights ago. Like I didn't have enough open already! But it was all good and all pretty unique.

Just can't resist trying new things...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.