Mint Julep

stiffchainey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey Guys!

The Mint Julep is not very common in Germany, probably only the readers of Scott Fitzgerald know about this drink, haha!

I tried it yesterday in this way:

3 oz of Bourbon (I took OGD)

1 splash of sugar syrup (I tried normal sugar as well)

1 Strain of Mint.

Ice

I put a bit of bourbon, the sugar and the mints in a glass, muddled them, waited for about 5-10 minutes, then added crushed ice and the rest of the bourbon. I left the mint in the glass, but decorated with another strain.

Is this okay, or totally wrong? And do you have some tips?

Thanks in advance, Sven

How did it taste? If you liked it, I'd say the recipe is good, if not, maybe a bit of tweaking will get it how you like it...... and that's part of the fun :)

The recipe sounds good, and OGD is a good choice. For me, the execution of a good mint julep depends largely on the quality of the crushed ice. The stuff that is dispensed from fridge doors it inadequate. I usually use a wooden mallet and a Lewis bag to pulverize a few cups of ice whenever I am making a batch. This results in fine, dry, snow-like ice that can be packed tightly into a cup. There are other little details that can take the drink to the next level: a proper metal cup, a bouquet of mint as a garnish, and a small straw nestled in the bouquet so that you have to poke your nose into the mint to take a sip. Finally, for people who aren't familiar with the drink I like to offer a piece of advice to increase the level of enjoyment: Don't drink it like a shooter, but drink it quickly!

I didn't use crushed ice. Good tip, thanks. I will attached a pic. Taste was very good, very refreshing. Next one will be the Old Fashioned.

post-7876-14489819236999_thumb.jpg

The crushed ice is essential for the ideal temp and dilution! Here's what I use to make it, but you can also just use a towel and any sturdy object with which to pound the ice:

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/product-p/oth_lewisbagxx_0000_ckx.htm

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/product-p/oth_malletxxx_0000_ck_.htm

If you are placing an order, you should order a couple of these while you are at it:

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/product-p/gla_ckjulepcupx_0000_nik.htm

Finally, that doesn't look like spearmint, which is what I would recommend for muddling/garnish.

For me the effect of the end product should almost be a snowcone type appearance. My preference in fact is for something clsoe to a hawaiian shave ice consistency although that can be hard to acheive. The metal cup is nice because it takes on a frosted appearance. Also as noted it is not a drink to luxuriate over as it will quickly become diluted and the metal cups tend to be on the small side so you can finish it up quick and make another!

I have an ice crusher that does a decent job. This video gives you some sense of how to beat the ice into submission if you decide to go that route!

The poetry you can take or leave as you desire!

Another resource from a fellow SBer, Jason.

But I think my favorite is the one by Jeffrey Morgenthaler. The more fine the ice the better for me!

• 2 weeks later...

If you enjoy it that's what really matters. Your ingredient list is on point and true to style.

Aside from what others have alreaday said, get a metal pewter cup, it really makes a difference. Also get your other sprigs of mint and give em a slap and garnish the top. That way when you use a straw you will have your nose in the springs and get a nice full effect.

I've a

but this is how I make mine...

I've found that the type and freshness of the mint sprigs plays a huge role in making a good mint julep ... a drink I despised up until this year. My wife grows a wide variety of mints ... and each imparts a different flavor to the julep ... none necessarily better, just different. The key ... cut and muddle ...

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the recipes submitted above. Don't be stingy on the mint. I also muddle the mint with the bourbon and the bsp of rich syrup and let it sit for 5min (muddle a couple of times during those 5min).

What bourbons do you prefer except of OGD? I really like BT in this cocktail, would pick it over MM all day long. Haven't tried it with OGD yet.

I agree with the recipes submitted above. Don't be stingy on the mint. I also muddle the mint with the bourbon and the bsp of rich syrup and let it sit for 5min (muddle a couple of times during those 5min).

What bourbons do you prefer except of OGD? I really like BT in this cocktail, would pick it over MM all day long. Haven't tried it with OGD yet.

I tend to like a softer wheater in mine but not wedded to MM by any means. In fact I prefer W12, OWA or the always dependable SB blend of course. Haven't tried it yet but Larceny might work well also.

I think the secret (if you love mint) is the make a mint infused simple syrup ala Jason Pyle of sourmashmanifesto.com. Make a 2:1 or 1:1 simple syrup, then throw in some ice to cool it off, then throw in 7-10 mint leaves and let it steep in the fridge for 24 hours. It will make a fantastic Mint Julep. My wife likes them made with Makers Mark the best. I prefer OGD 114.

I think the secret (if you love mint) is the make a mint infused simple syrup ala Jason Pyle of sourmashmanifesto.com. Make a 2:1 or 1:1 simple syrup, then throw in some ice to cool it off, then throw in 7-10 mint leaves and let it steep in the fridge for 24 hours. It will make a fantastic Mint Julep. My wife likes them made with Makers Mark the best. I prefer OGD 114.

Weller ... do you muddle and/or crush the mint to release the oils from the cellular structure prior to or while in the simple syrup? Seems to me it would help the infusion.

Weller ... do you muddle and/or crush the mint to release the oils from the cellular structure prior to or while in the simple syrup? Seems to me it would help the infusion.

According to Jason..and I verified this myself you don't crush it as it releases some bitter notes. I just lightly muddle it in and then let it steep overnight in the fridge for 24 hours. When I go to make it I put a little syrup in the bottom of the cup then muddle in about 6 fresh mint leaves and coat the inside of the cup. Then it is ice, bourbon, more ice, a tad more syrup, then some mint on top.

It's not as good as a freshly made Julep, but I've had varying degrees of success following this recipe:

I've tried it with Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace and Nelson County (Heaven Hill product) and all have worked well. My personal preference is for a sweeter Julep, so I usually add the entire cup of 1:1 sugar syrup to a 700ml bottle. It generally keeps in the freezer for up to 3 months, and means I can enjoy a Julep any time with a minimum of fuss. It's also great to take to parties as all you need is ice and a cup and you're away.

According to Jason..and I verified this myself you don't crush it as it releases some bitter notes. I just lightly muddle it in and then let it steep overnight in the fridge for 24 hours. When I go to make it I put a little syrup in the bottom of the cup then muddle in about 6 fresh mint leaves and coat the inside of the cup. Then it is ice, bourbon, more ice, a tad more syrup, then some mint on top.

OK ... makes sense ... I'll try it. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually like Mint hence never really enjoyed a Mint Julep. However, I have since last weekend found a good way to balance the Mint flavor to being enjoyable for me with a local honey product. The honey with the mint has really worked well for my palate. I originally thought it was the Woodford Reserve I used on the first try, I have since tried it with standard BT and FRSmB and they are all enjoyable!

So, this is what I did:

1. Dissolved a teaspoon (tried different amounts and they're all good) of local honey with an ounce of filtered drinking water.

2. Poured half an ounce of his honey syrup into a regular Old Fashioned glass/tumbler (I don't have a mint julep cup).

3. Plucked about 5-6 decent sized mint leaves and muddled them in the honey syrup in glass.

4. Filled glass with crushed ice.

5. Filled the glass until almost full with WR, BT, or FRSmB.

6. Topped off with the remainder of the honey syrup that was left over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.