Foreign Whisky of the Month - 06/2013: The Balvenie

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am kind of surprised by the amount of vitriol toward this one regarding pricing. Sure some of their expressions, like the 17 year ones, are on the spendier range comparable to others in the market, but the 12, 14 and 15 seem pretty much inline with others. But to say that Tun1401 or the 21 year are expensive seems a little uninformed. I mean compare Macallan 21 year pretty sure that retails for a considerable amount more than the 21 Portwood. And doesn't tun1401 always contain some rather old cask(s) and always get highly rated? I just remember reading something about casks that span a number of decades. So to complain about that being about $300, which does by the way always seem to sell out immediately - I watch at least one shop and it is typically gone within hours of them listing it - doesn't seem fair, but it is hard to compare to others so maybe that is where it comes from.

Just a couple of quick cost comparisons:

Highland Park Loki 15 year old $250

Bruichladdich 21 year (numerous expressions) $200

Glenmorangie Signet 80 proof $200 (not that Portwood is much higher in proof)

Knockando 25 year $230

So there is some better bargains judging by age, as I don't have experience with necessarily, but definitely some worse ones as well.

Not trying to defend the choice or their pricing just want to offer a different opinion or myself be enlightened.

I am kind of surprised by the amount of vitriol toward this one regarding pricing. Sure some of their expressions, like the 17 year ones, are on the spendier range comparable to others in the market, but the 12, 14 and 15 seem pretty much inline with others. But to say that Tun1401 or the 21 year are expensive seems a little uninformed. I mean compare Macallan 21 year pretty sure that retails for a considerable amount more than the 21 Portwood. And doesn't tun1401 always contain some rather old cask(s) and always get highly rated? I just remember reading something about casks that span a number of decades. So to complain about that being about $300, which does by the way always seem to sell out immediately - I watch at least one shop and it is typically gone within hours of them listing it - doesn't seem fair, but it is hard to compare to others so maybe that is where it comes from.

Just a couple of quick cost comparisons:

Highland Park Loki 15 year old $250

Bruichladdich 21 year (numerous expressions) $200

Glenmorangie Signet 80 proof $200 (not that Portwood is much higher in proof)

Knockando 25 year $230

So there is some better bargains judging by age, as I don't have experience with necessarily, but definitely some worse ones as well.

Not trying to defend the choice or their pricing just want to offer a different opinion or myself be enlightened.

Edited by bad_scientist

In respect to price, Balvenie is somewhere in the middle from what I've seen. Plenty more exspensive bottles out there, and a fair amount cheaper. The thing about Balvenie, for me, is that the level of quality is always pretty consistent, so far as I've seen. An exception to this, in my opinion, would be the peated 17. I just did not care for it at all. But generally speaking, I feel like the price they charge is fair. I'd love for it to be cheaper, but that aint gonna happen.

I have no horse in the race here, but I think that your examples also are of overpriced bottles. Here's another comparison:

Lag 16 $65

Balvenie 17 peated cask $130

A bit more sobering, huh? On the other side of the coin, I consider their Caribbean cask one of the best values in scotch.

Edit: okay, maybe not one of the best values in scotch, but a fairly and competitively priced whisky.

And Lag 16 at $65 good price...$80 here.

The carribean cask is really great, but my favorite has been the Madeira Cask 17 y.o. Figures the one I like was a limited offering they made years ago. But I have enough stored up in the closet to keep me going for a few years.

The only Balvenie I've tried is the 12 year double wood. I find it very unrefined compared to other entry level sherried whiskeys. Pitting it against Glendronach 12 in a tasting was like leading it to the slaughter. If it weren't labeled a 12 year I would never believe it was. I also find the pricing strange because it it always costs either $42 or $65. Other scotches can also vary wildly in price, but usually there's some kind of spectrum. DW12 is either one or the other.

Agreed that the 'Dronach 12 outshines the Balvenie 12's. To me, the best Balvenie value in recent years has been the TUN releases (unless you get a killer deal on a mispriced bottle or on sale).

Another expression I liked was the Cuban Selection 14 - somebody brought some back from France and that was an easy drinker to tickle the sweet tooth.

the best Balvenie value in recent years has been the TUN releases

Haha...when a $200+ bottle is a value, you must be living well! I've bought a couple, but they were at the high end of what I consider spending for any bottle.

Haha...when a $200+ bottle is a value, you must be living well! I've bought a couple, but they were at the high end of what I consider spending for any bottle.

didn't say it was a good value... just the "best value" out of the Balvenie range imho

:D

and no, not livin' large neither ;-)

i do love the TUN1401#3 though...

I enjoy Balvenie for what it is...a competitively priced single malt with some sweeter and easier notes.

12 year DW - Entry level scotch...and can be bought for $30 around here.

12 year Signature - A bit spicier and doesn't have the sweeter sherry influence. I dig it for $37.

15 year Single Barrel - A very nicely balanced dram. I really like it, but it might be a bit overpriced around here at $64-70.

17 year Madeira - One of the more complex Balvenie's out there. Good balance as well. I know where to get one for $90 around here and I keep debating whether or not to get it.

17 Year Peat - I'm not a big big peat fan, but this one blends it well with the Speyside base. Not really my thing for $130, but it goes on sale around here for $75 every so often. That's a good price for it.

21 Year Portwood - Very rich and you can really get the port influence. I've only had it once and I won't say that it's worth $200+, but it's a damn fine dram.

TUN 1401 Batch 3 - Simply put...the finest whiskey I've ever tasted...bourbon, scotch or irish. It might even be better than any tequila I've ever had although it's hard to compare. I don't EVER pay $200+ for a bottle of anything. This is the first spirit of any kind that I've decided was worth it.

Wish I could find a Maderia Cask around here for that price! I haven't seen any here for a long time and my bunker is getting a little light on this one.

We have a few really good liquor stores around here in terms of pricing...especially on some whisk(e)ys. You can get the Portwood around here for $160-170 and I got the TUN 1401 Batch 3 for $210...which I felt like was a steal. One of the stores is a small Italian market that only deals in cash and I'm sure only reports about 1/2 of what they make to the IRS.

I got the TUN 1401 Batch 3 for $210...which I felt like was a steal.

That's a steal! Now I wanna get another bottle!

That's a steal! Now I wanna get another bottle!

It was their last one. It was $229 and I offered him $210. I would have paid $229, but I figured why not ask. I figured you'd love the Madeira at $90 as well. I need to talk to some people locally and find out if I can find another Batch 3 in the low $200's. I'll let you know if I do. Thanks for introducing me to that heavenly nectar. I never would have known or purchased without your recommendation.

The Madeira & the 1401 3 have been two of my favorites - those are some killer prices for sure!

If you run into more, I'd be interested :D

The Madeira & the 1401 3 have been two of my favorites - those are some killer prices for sure!

If you run into more, I'd be interested :D

I'll keep you posted. :)

I enjoy Balvenie for what it is...a competitively priced single malt with some sweeter and easier notes.

12 year DW - Entry level scotch...and can be bought for $30 around here.

12 year Signature - A bit spicier and doesn't have the sweeter sherry influence. I dig it for $37.

15 year Single Barrel - A very nicely balanced dram. I really like it, but it might be a bit overpriced around here at $64-70.

17 year Madeira - One of the more complex Balvenie's out there. Good balance as well. I know where to get one for $90 around here and I keep debating whether or not to get it.

17 Year Peat - I'm not a big big peat fan, but this one blends it well with the Speyside base. Not really my thing for $130, but it goes on sale around here for $75 every so often. That's a good price for it.

21 Year Portwood - Very rich and you can really get the port influence. I've only had it once and I won't say that it's worth $200+, but it's a damn fine dram.

TUN 1401 Batch 3 - Simply put...the finest whiskey I've ever tasted...bourbon, scotch or irish. It might even be better than any tequila I've ever had although it's hard to compare. I don't EVER pay $200+ for a bottle of anything. This is the first spirit of any kind that I've decided was worth it.

I lived in the Twin Cities area for a couple of years and they do have some of the best pricing of any where I have shopped. I was only starting to get into Scotch while I lived there so left a lot of bargains behind that now I would be all over, but did get a Portwood 21 year at 69.99 I think it was, maybe 79.99 - I am pretty sure it was mispriced but was glad to get it. Oh and one I really regret trading because I didn't know what I had at the time was a 30 year I picked up for a little over 400. Wish I would have hung onto that, it was a lot of money, but for something that typically goes for 700+ I jumped on it.

I think I remember seeing a Madeira, and maybe even an Islay cask ( which I really regret leaving), priced right around $90 like you said.

I have never even see a tun 1401 for sale, would really like to try it one of these days.

I lived in the Twin Cities area for a couple of years and they do have some of the best pricing of any where I have shopped. I was only starting to get into Scotch while I lived there so left a lot of bargains behind that now I would be all over, but did get a Portwood 21 year at 69.99 I think it was, maybe 79.99 - I am pretty sure it was mispriced but was glad to get it. Oh and one I really regret trading because I didn't know what I had at the time was a 30 year I picked up for a little over 400. Wish I would have hung onto that, it was a lot of money, but for something that typically goes for 700+ I jumped on it.

I think I remember seeing a Madeira, and maybe even an Islay cask ( which I really regret leaving), priced right around $90 like you said.

I have never even see a tun 1401 for sale, would really like to try it one of these days.

I got my 17 Peat for $65, but that same place has bumped it up to $85 now. That would be a good deal on the Portwood. I would snap that up in a hurry. TPS has a great deal on the Balvenie minis for something like $17 for a 12/15/21 port for $17 (or at least that's what it was about a year ago when I bought them.

Several years ago, when most of my friends were still establishing themselves after college, one of them in particular had wandered into a very lucrative career. One night he opened a bottle of the 21 to share with the rest of us, and we all fell in love with it. Since that time, whenever one of our group has gotten married, that same friend buys two bottles of the 21. One is a gift to the groom, and the other is a gift to the group to be consumed over the course of the wedding weekend. Given that history, there's no question that the Balvenie holds a special place in my heart.

I'm a member of the ATXWhiskey Society, and the Tun 1401 batch 6 was our group buy earlier this year, and at $210 here in TX, I thought that was a steal. There are plenty of other whiskies at that price that I'd like to try before I circle back to it, but it certainly feels like a safe way to spend that kind of cash on a bottle.

At Christmas, I picked up a bottle of the 17yr Peated Cask, and that was so tasty I immediately picked up another when I saw it on sale the next month. It seems like a perfect marriage of the smooth, sweet speyside malt with what i think are the best aspects of an islay. Primarily, it doesn't have that overwhelming iodine flavor that I just can't seem to get past in some of those peated malts.

I've had the opportunity to taste a vertical of the Tun 1401s and it was too early in my serious whisky tasting journey to fully appreciate what I was tasting. Hopefully my friend with the Tun collection will let me do so again sometime soon. But for whatever reason Balvenie in general hasn't been one of the distilleries I've gravitated towards and I've been lucky enough to taste most of their current bottlings. Not really sure why. This was confirmed this week when I had an opportunity to spend some time with a dram of the Caribbean Cask and it was fine but I'm glad I didn't buy a bottle. It really is interesting how some distilleries really grab you and others are merely interesting or okay. To paraphrase "different drams for different folks".

It's July, that closes this one and the new FWotM is up in the form of a poll. Three options, runs about 4 or 5 days, top one takes it ... maybe :slappin:. Other two could 'roll' over to the next month or whenever I decide to put it up to vote again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.