The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

23 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@silverc, that truly is a fantastic Armagnac collection! Which Boingneres bottlings do you have? Also, do you have any of the 2000 and beyond Domaine d'Esperance bottlings? That is around the time Claire de Montesquieu bought the domaine and started to distill herself, and made significant changes in the quality of the distillate. 

I'm really intrigued and impressed by your collection. When did you start collecting? 

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but wow, bravo on such a spectacular collection! 

Cheers,

Nancy

Hi Nancy. The Boingneres is just the Reserve Speciale, and although it's younger, it's excellent stuff. I haven't seen any vintages of it yet, but would likely buy some if I could find them. Similar story for the Domaine d'Esperance. I only have the XO, and no vintages, but will be on the look out for them. They have a certain balance and complexity that is hard to describe but certainly appreciated. I will be going to Paris again in the fall. Previously I found some nice stuff at Ryst Dupeyron and La Maison du Whisky. Any other shops you are familiar with in the city that would be good to visit?

For a while I was solely into whiskey, and only seriously since about 2014. Because Copper and Kings has a big presence in Louisville, I took a tour when upon the bourbon trail and gave them a try. That was a gateway into Brandy and then I found a small 50ml bottle of Marquis de Montesquiou I started to appreciate Armagnac. That was around 2015/16. So I have bought a lot stuff in a short time, I buy it much faster than I drink it, or share it, so it's accumulated quite quickly. These are tough problems to have. ?

By the way, here's a family photo of the Copper and Kings single barrels I've picked up over the last couple of years. I know this is the French brandy forum, but hopefully the American stuff is also appreciated.

IMG_4232 edit.jpg

• I like it 3

• 4 weeks later...

A little slow around here. I’m going to the Calvados region in a few weeks. Going to see the Normandy D-Day beaches. Been going to Normandy region for years but haven’t seen the D-Day beaches as I was hoping to go with my nephew who’s almost made trip a few times and is in the Army. He’s now had a kid and won’t be making the trip anytime soon.

I’d like to visit a distillery or two and hoping someone has a couple of recommendations. A place that also has some good dry cidre/noire would be a nice touch. If separate from a Calvados producer also good with that.

For Calvados ideally looking to spend under 100 euros. Cask strength, minimal filtration, aged over 10 years all idea.

Any good recommendations? Thanks in advance.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:14 PM, HoustonNit said:

A little slow around here. I’m going to the Calvados region in a few weeks. Going to see the Normandy D-Day beaches. Been going to Normandy region for years but haven’t seen the D-Day beaches as I was hoping to go with my nephew who’s almost made trip a few times and is in the Army. He’s now had a kid and won’t be making the trip anytime soon.

I’d like to visit a distillery or two and hoping someone has a couple of recommendations. A place that also has some good dry cidre/noire would be a nice touch. If separate from a Calvados producer also good with that.

For Calvados ideally looking to spend under 100 euros. Cask strength, minimal filtration, aged over 10 years all idea.

Any good recommendations? Thanks in advance.

@HoustonNit, I just now PM'd you about this. Happy to help! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

@WhiskeyBlender once again thanks so much for your suggestions. Both Christian Droudin and Chateau De Breuil are right along A13 and on the way to Caen so perfect. I’ll try to post pictures and feedback after visit.

Thanks again.

Jon

• I like it 3

Picked up a couple of G-R Brandies that had many layers of dust, one had a little sales card near it that I liberated as a fun curiosity, the shop owner told me that these (as well as the Shareholders Reserve and Christmas Blend I left behind) have all been on the shelf for a long time and are from the same order. @WhiskeyBlender I haven't seen the "Reserve" bottle before do you know anything about this one? 

y4mfIV1G-uw0kpSN5P2deNYPGng_F0Swnsi5rhdP

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Picked up a couple of G-R Brandies that had many layers of dust, one had a little sales card near it that I liberated as a fun curiosity, the shop owner told me that these (as well as the Shareholders Reserve and Christmas Blend I left behind) have all been on the shelf for a long time and are from the same order. @WhiskeyBlender I haven't seen the "Reserve" bottle before do you know anything about this one? 

y4mfIV1G-uw0kpSN5P2deNYPGng_F0Swnsi5rhdP

Hey there @kevinbrink, I'm pretty sure those bottlings are rather old. If I recall correctly, the "Reserve" bottling probably dates to the '90's, or maybe the early 2000's. I believe it came out before the XO was released. I know that they are certainly pre-2007. Thus, it will be juice that Hubert himself distilled. 

Are you able to drink again? I'd really love to hear your thoughts about these G-R bottlings. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey there @kevinbrink, I'm pretty sure those bottlings are rather old. If I recall correctly, the "Reserve" bottling probably dates to the '90's, or maybe the early 2000's. I believe it came out before the XO was released. I know that they are certainly pre-2007. Thus, it will be juice that Hubert himself distilled. 

Are you able to drink again? I'd really love to hear your thoughts about these G-R bottlings. 

Cheers,

Nancy

I just started to have some small pours every few days, my palate at this point is really overwhelmed by bourbon at this point having a hard time getting past bitter and barrel char notes, on the other hand I've had couple pours of Armagnac and Scotch that have been substantially more enjoyable so it should be an interesting slow process of getting things back to where they were. I'll probably crack these in the next few months but not sure how useful my notes will be ;) but I'll certainly post them. 

This one was excellent!  Hail Yak selection purchased from Fine Drams.  Gone too soon but capably replaced by a L'Encantada XO...

del cassou.jpg

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

This one was excellent!  Hail Yak selection purchased from Fine Drams.  Gone too soon but capably replaced by a L'Encantada XO...

del cassou.jpg

I've been tempted to place an order at Fine Drams particularly for the 5 X 200ml set as I haven't picked up anything from L'Encantada to date despite the obvious enthusiasm around them as a bottler. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I've been tempted to place an order at Fine Drams particularly for the 5 X 200ml set as I haven't picked up anything from L'Encantada to date despite the obvious enthusiasm around them as a bottler. 

I got one of those sets from K&L.  It has some good stuff in it and each expression is unique.  A good way to explore the L'Encantada world without breaking the bank.  And, Fine Drams also sells 3cl samples, which is cool. 

• I like it 2

I feel like I missed the boat on L’Encantada. They did a barrel pick of an 18 year old one at a local store here for $184 a bottle. I feel like these where going for less than half of that a couple years back.

I’ll be in France in a couple weeks. There’s a store that’s sitting on a wide selection of different vintages of Darroze. It seemed over priced 1-2 years ago but if they are still there at those prices today might be worth picking one up.

IMG_3069.jpg

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I feel like I missed the boat on L’Encantada. They did a barrel pick of an 18 year old one at a local store here for $184 a bottle. I feel like these where going for less than half of that a couple years back.

I’ll be in France in a couple weeks. There’s a store that’s sitting on a wide selection of different vintages of Darroze. It seemed over priced 1-2 years ago but if they are still there at those prices today might be worth picking one up.

IMG_3069.jpg

I'm going to be caving on any 1980's I see in the next year as I'm approaching a round number 

I'm going to be caving on any 1980's I see in the next year as I'm approaching a round number 

Yeah I have the 1980 and it’s one of my favorite bottles.
  • I like it 1

12 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah I have the 1980 and it’s one of my favorite bottles.

I've been looking for 80's for a year now and haven't come across much of anything, though a place by my brother in Brooklyn has a Darroze (doesn't list the Domaine on their site) that I plan on grabbing next time I venture out that far.

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

$184 is kind of high for an 18 y.o. Fine Drams has some L'Encantada selections at fairly reasonable prices.  The previously mentioned 5x200ml set is 133E and it has some older expressions.  Of course you have to account for shipping but, IIRC, it's not too bad considering it's coming from Europe. 

6 minutes ago, fosmith said:

$184 is kind of high for an 18 y.o. Fine Drams has some L'Encantada selections at fairly reasonable prices.  The previously mentioned 5x200ml set is 133E and it has some older expressions.  Of course you have to account for shipping but, IIRC, it's not too bad considering it's coming from Europe. 

I've never dabbled but I assume the US releases are 750's? I know the ones on Fine Drams are 500ml/50cl for the most part. 

17 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I've never dabbled but I assume the US releases are 750's? I know the ones on Fine Drams are 500ml/50cl for the most part. 

Yes, the two "Hail Yak" selections are 750s.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_3069.jpg

That pricing looks pretty good to me, I would be tempted to get one of each.

• I like it 1

That pricing looks pretty good to me, I would be tempted to get one of each.

It’s Euros but yeah I’ll likely get one of there still there and priced similarly.

51 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

It’s Euros but yeah I’ll likely get one of there still there and priced similarly.

Yeah so that's like $105 for the 1980? Seems like a great price to me, but maybe Darroze is cheaper in France? In my experience pretty much any Darroze single vintage is worth about $100, the closest local-ish store that carries it (Binny's) is about 3.5 hours away and it's generally in the $200 range. Though there is a store I order from online that carries some in the $80-120 range, but those are late 80's-90's-00's vintages, I would expect to pay more like $150 for a 1980 vintage.

I'll have to book some plane tickets if $105 is overpriced for early 80's in France!

Edited by EarthQuake

Yeah so that's like $105 for the 1980? Seems like a great price to me, but maybe Darroze is cheaper in France? In my experience pretty much any Darroze single vintage is worth about $100, the closest local-ish store that carries it (Binny's) is about 3.5 hours away and it's generally in the $200 range. Though there is a store I order from online that carries some in the $80-120 range, but those are late 80's-90's-00's vintages, I would expect to pay more like $150 for a 1980 vintage.

I'll have to book some plane tickets if $105 is overpriced for early 80's in France!

I think this has become a good price even for France. These have been I believe for over three years. Three years ago it seemed overpriced.

It’s crazy to me that the Euro is low to USD in my mind it’s still $1.20 to $1.40. Also need to factor that tax is included in that price so even better. Yeah if there still there I’m picking one up.
  • I like it 2

On 8/3/2019 at 6:08 AM, kevinbrink said:

I just started to have some small pours every few days, my palate at this point is really overwhelmed by bourbon at this point having a hard time getting past bitter and barrel char notes, on the other hand I've had couple pours of Armagnac and Scotch that have been substantially more enjoyable so it should be an interesting slow process of getting things back to where they were. I'll probably crack these in the next few months but not sure how useful my notes will be ;) but I'll certainly post them. 

Hey @kevinbrink, glad to hear that you're able to enjoy a few small pours again! What I'm about to write is a bit off-topic for the French Spirits forum, but since you mentioned that your palate is not where it was before you had to give up drinking for a while, I'd like to relate my current issue with that. 

I find it very interesting that you note that your palate is now overwhelmed by bourbon and that you have a hard time getting past "bitter and barrel char notes." I broke several bones in my ankle while out hiking during the July 4th weekend and have to have surgery to put everything together again a few weeks ago. In order to facilitate the healing process, I haven't been drinking since then. However, a few days ago I had to analyze some bourbon barrel samples. These are barrels I check fairly regularly and are usually really good, but when I tasted them, all I was getting was, to use your phrase, "bitter and barrel char notes." Then I tasted various bourbons that I always love just to check myself. Again, same bitterness and barrel char, with some grain and wood sugar sweetness on the nose, and not much else. 

I'm really freaked out because I'm afraid that I've "lost it" while I've been convalescing from the surgery. It sounds like you've had similar issues and that your palate is taking a while to get back to normal again? And have you made any progress with how your palate perceives bourbon, or is it still bitter with barrel char? 

My theory is that while a body is healing from sickness, surgery, etc., the perception of smell and taste changes so that "toxins" like alcohol become repugnant, while food and drink that the body needs to heal becomes more desirable. At least I hope that's the case. Otherwise, I'm screwed for my work if my nose and palate don't return! 

If it is more appropriate to PM me on this, please feel free to do so. I'm really curious how your coping with it, and would like to chat with you about your experience with it. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_2760.jpg

• I like it 1

Nancy I knew about your leg which is terrible on its own. The idea that it might impact your palate and sense of smell for you is really even worst. I’m sure it’s just that you haven’t been able to drink for a while. Once you start again I’m sure in a few days you’ll be dialed back in.

31 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @kevinbrink, glad to hear that you're able to enjoy a few small pours again! What I'm about to write is a bit off-topic for the French Spirits forum, but since you mentioned that your palate is not where it was before you had to give up drinking for a while, I'd like to relate my current issue with that. 

I find it very interesting that you note that your palate is now overwhelmed by bourbon and that you have a hard time getting past "bitter and barrel char notes." I broke several bones in my ankle while out hiking during the July 4th weekend and have to have surgery to put everything together again a few weeks ago. In order to facilitate the healing process, I haven't been drinking since then. However, a few days ago I had to analyze some bourbon barrel samples. These are barrels I check fairly regularly and are usually really good, but when I tasted them, all I was getting was, to use your phrase, "bitter and barrel char notes." Then I tasted various bourbons that I always love just to check myself. Again, same bitterness and barrel char, with some grain and wood sugar sweetness on the nose, and not much else. 

I'm really freaked out because I'm afraid that I've "lost it" while I've been convalescing from the surgery. It sounds like you've had similar issues and that your palate is taking a while to get back to normal again? And have you made any progress with how your palate perceives bourbon, or is it still bitter with barrel char? 

My theory is that while a body is healing from sickness, surgery, etc., the perception of smell and taste changes so that "toxins" like alcohol become repugnant, while food and drink that the body needs to heal becomes more desirable. At least I hope that's the case. Otherwise, I'm screwed for my work if my nose and palate don't return! 

If it is more appropriate to PM me on this, please feel free to do so. I'm really curious how your coping with it, and would like to chat with you about your experience with it. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_2760.jpg

Noooooooooooo............

So sorry to hear this Nancy. Please heal fast.

If it makes you feel any better, last year I did a sober March (which was of course broken for the Magnus pick I did with you).

I found that after a couple weeks off that my palate was as you describe yours. I had heard this could happen to regular bourbon drinkers so I had a few pours in the days leading up to the pick and it took a couple days to get it back.

I think you will be fine!

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_2760.jpg

Sorry to hear Nancy, hope they get you fixed up and you heal up fast!  

So as far as my palate goes, I had a pour of HH Green Label (6yr 90 proof) a few days back that was the best of my attempts as of yet, a close second was a pour of Beam Signature Craft Spanish Brandy Finish which doesn't exactly click the bourbon check box since it's more of a blend of sorts. Feeling like I was coming around I had a small pour of WT101 and there it was again all bitter and barrel char which boggles the mind since it is 100% the bourbon I have enjoyed more than any other.  So I guess what I'm saying is it's kind of baby steps but I'm optimistic I'm moving in the right direction but for now I'm kind of sticking to the standards and spreading my pours a few days apart is probably counter to making quick progress but in line with where my priorities should be.  Obviously your situation is a bit different so I hope you are right. One last bit of optimism for you is that I had a pour of Highland Park 12 which was like finding religion, a drinking experience I haven't had in quite a few years.