The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

On a whim I grabbed a bottle of Armagnac. I had been to a tasting before that was quite meh, but this is good. I was worried about the low proof but it hasn’t been an issue at all. 

8C7284F5-03A2-455C-BCEC-681259F68D05.jpeg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, mal00768 said:

On a whim I grabbed a bottle of Armagnac. I had been to a tasting before that was quite meh, but this is good. I was worried about the low proof but it hasn’t been an issue at all. 

8C7284F5-03A2-455C-BCEC-681259F68D05.jpeg

One of the stores near me has the exact same bottle, and I really like it. I keep a bottle here at all times, and it has been given as a gift several times to introduce friends to something new. 

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Dartigalongue is a good house.  If you get the chance, try some of their vintage dated, cask strength bottlings. 

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

Wow, is it clear? I am super intrigued by this triple B. Growing up, we had a Montmorency cherry tree in our back yard. It wasn't a chore to pick the cherries, as the benefit was my mom's cherry pie. So, I pretty much love all things cherry. I am looking forward to your thoughts about this drink.

Shared a good bit of this with my employees at our Christmas party tonight…one of Nancy’s favorites, and a fantastic pour at 57 years old (bottled in 2021). 

068E1454-BC02-4E5D-94E1-C4ACE9C527EF.jpeg

• I like it 10

19 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Shared a good bit of this with my employees at our Christmas party tonight…one of Nancy’s favorites, and a fantastic pour at 57 years old (bottled in 2021). 

can I come work for you?

• I like it 3

On 12/5/2021 at 4:36 PM, Phil T said:

Wow, is it clear? I am super intrigued by this triple B....

Sorry took so long to get back.  Just popped the cherry and the pear.  Both are clear, no age/barrel, no additives.  These are brandy as in distillate from fermented fruit and not liquor.  Both only have hint of flavor from primary fruit.  Cherry has zero cherry flavor up front but a little after.  Cherry has alarming amine taste suggestive of improper fermentation; flavor might be somewhat corrected in distillation by cutting out more "head" but this would cut out good brandy flavor.  I'll have to revisit the cherry a few times before render an opinion.  Pear was quite good, both up front and on the after.  Again, this is a true brandy so not much of pear flavor comes through.  On the whole I like this brand as a producer of authentic brandy and will seek out more of their material.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, berto said:

Trader Joe's has Duc de Normandie Calvados for $20.  Anybody had it?  

Does it have an age statement? 

Has anyone tried the Delord 1970 or 1971 @ 50yr?

I never went back that far with their vintage releases. I'll probably receive one of those as a gift, but I'm wondering if I should instead ask for 4 bottles of the standard 25yr.

18 hours ago, fosmith said:

Does it have an age statement? 

No age statement.  I ended up buying it and had a little tonight.  It's not bad for $20.  Not a ton of depth but the apple is there.  I'll probably play with it in cocktails.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:28 PM, lcpfratn said:

Sorry I'm late to the party on responding to this @lcpfratn, but wow!!! That is indeed one of my all-time favorite Darroze bottlings! You can't go wrong with most of those Chateau de Gaube expressions. Hope your employees appreciated what was in their glasses. 😉

Cheers!

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

I traditionally make a stupid tax evasive purchase on the last day of the year, and today was no exception. Too bad that I’ve maxed out my photo posting capabilities. 

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I traditionally make a stupid tax evasive purchase on the last day of the year, and today was no exception. Too bad that I’ve maxed out my photo posting capabilities. 

Can I donate my photo posting capabilities to you.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Say it ain’t so Dave! Maybe the Boss can make another exception for your account. 

9 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Sorry I'm late to the party on responding to this @lcpfratn, but wow!!! That is indeed one of my all-time favorite Darroze bottlings! You can't go wrong with most of those Chateau de Gaube expressions. Hope your employees appreciated what was in their glasses. 😉

Cheers!

Nancy

Hi Nancy, It was definitely enjoyed by all. After you gave that 1964 vintage so much praise in your response to Bruce’s question regarding the various Darroze vintages last year, I knew that I had to get some. Hopefully, I’ll be able to reorder in 2022!

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s dry January in my house and I’m recovering from Achilles tendon surgery, but I got this to lift my spirits and give me something to look forward to. It’s gotten great reviews. I can’t wait.

639BB419-3F8B-4C56-8818-CD64C02BE669.jpeg

• I like it 3

24 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

It’s dry January in my house and I’m recovering from Achilles tendon surgery, but I got this to lift my spirits and give me something to look forward to. It’s gotten great reviews. I can’t wait.

639BB419-3F8B-4C56-8818-CD64C02BE669.jpeg

Yeah doing the same, figured I’d pull something from the bunker.

Hope you have a quick recovery.

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, DeepCover said:

That Bouju Royal is amazing!  At 120 proof it's intense but so layered and complex. Where did you find that in the states?  I got my first bottle from K&L in SF but when it was sold out I had to order some from France. 

20 hours ago, fosmith said:

That Bouju Royal is amazing!  At 120 proof it's intense but so layered and complex. Where did you find that in the states?  I got my first bottle from K&L in SF but when it was sold out I had to order some from France. 

I’m really looking forward to trying it. Yeah, it’s still not being imported. I had to resort to the same measures as you unfortunately.

On 1/23/2022 at 8:44 AM, DeepCover said:

I’m really looking forward to trying it. Yeah, it’s still not being imported. I had to resort to the same measures as you unfortunately.

Where did you order yours from?  I ordered from finestwine.com.  The service and pricing were good but the shipping was expensive.  But the net cost per bottle was about what I paid at K&L

• 1 month later...