compliance

The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

fosmith
On 4/18/2020 at 1:44 PM, DeepCover said:

This was has gotten decent reviews and I was in the mood for something new. It was on the shelf at TW today, so why not? I’m looking forward to trying it out.

I had the Lot 76 as part of this set of minis.  It was pretty good (I would describe it as elegant) but the '53 and especially the '29 were amazing! 

tesseron minis.jpg

• I like it 2

DeepCover
On 4/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, fosmith said:

I had the Lot 76 as part of this set of minis.  It was pretty good (I would describe it as elegant) but the '53 and especially the '29 were amazing! 

tesseron minis.jpg

I’ve been very pleased with the 76. It’s become my go-to quarantine bottle since I bought it. That said, I’ve heard amazing things about the ‘53 and ‘29. Maybe someday!

FWIW I’d still take the Maison Surrenne XO over the Tesseron 76. The Maison Surrenne XO is the best cognac I’ve had so far. Too bad it’s so tough to find.

Not_That_Fancy

I’m not a Congac drinker or knowledgeable on any of it tbh. I friend found this laying around and offered it to me. I told them I’d look to see what it’s worth and give them a fair price for it. Anyone here have a guess-timate?

D1274032-65D7-401C-A5CE-5AFE36C494D0.jpeg

BFD77C1F-4A5C-42EA-B7A9-263B6C6DD26C.jpeg

• I like it 1

Marekv8
59 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

I’m not a Congac drinker or knowledgeable on any of it tbh. I friend found this laying around and offered it to me. I told them I’d look to see what it’s worth and give them a fair price for it. Anyone here have a guess-timate?

I've got a couple of standard bottles from that time period… one with a $9.99 price tag still on the screw cap. I remember having to go a a bullet-proof store in a sketchy part of town to get these.

Pure sugar, but not undrinkable. Looks like your bottle is going to taste like cork.

IMG_4526.thumb.jpg.c59c9f41b13cfe10d2583e51ec16fbce.jpg

IMG_4527.thumb.jpg.20d1586ccc6e7b58259836ca8dc71461.jpg

• I like it 1

DeepCover

I picked this one up to try out during the holiday weekend.

FB7185EE-D2FA-4D35-B2B1-AA564A7F39FB.jpeg

• I like it 1

WhiskeyBlender
9 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I picked this one up to try out during the holiday weekend.

FB7185EE-D2FA-4D35-B2B1-AA564A7F39FB.jpeg

@DeepCover, OH-MY-GOD (sorry to shout), I can't believe you landed that!!!! I absolutely LOVE the Jean Fillioux Tres Vieux Cognac. Where the heck did you find it? I've been looking for some Jean Fillioux and haven't seen any in quite a while. 

Can't wait to get your feedback after this weekend. 

Cheers my friend, and drink well! 

Nancy

• I like it 1

DeepCover
13 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@DeepCover, OH-MY-GOD (sorry to shout), I can't believe you landed that!!!! I absolutely LOVE the Jean Fillioux Tres Vieux Cognac. Where the heck did you find it? I've been looking for some Jean Fillioux and haven't seen any in quite a while. 

Can't wait to get your feedback after this weekend. 

Cheers my friend, and drink well! 

Nancy

Wow! I was already excited to try this one out, but after this ringing endorsement I can’t wait. 

I found it at Spec’s near downtown Houston (referred to by some locals as the mothership). That’s the only place I’ve seen it. After falling in love with the impossible to find Maison Surrenne XO, I’ve been searching for a comparable champagne cognac. This seemed like a good candidate. They had a Normandin-Mercier XO, but I went with this one. Most likely I will give this one a shot tonight.

I hope you enjoy your holiday weekend and cheers to you as well!

• I like it 1

Brooklyn.20

Hey all, had a couple questions about Francis Darroze Armagnacs and hoping you can help me out. My wife's dad had a couple of bottles in his cellar that I am having trouble finding information on.

Looks like both were bottled in 1983, but there is one that shows "distilled 1928" and one that shows "distilled 1932". Any help is much appreciated!

Andrew

Armagnac1.jpg

Armagnac3.jpg

Armagnac5.jpg

Brooklyn.20

Armagnac4.jpg

Armagnac5.jpg

Armagnac7.jpg

tanstaafl2

In my continuing search for something a bit unusual I recently picked up a new bottle of Marc de Bourgogne from Julien Guillot. A single cask release from 2002 making it around 17-18yo (although no specific age is given) and bottled at a low cask strength of only 81 proof. Quite enjoyable with an interesting refined taste due to extended aging of the usual funk found in this style of brandy. Biggest downside is cost that would make it an unlikely repeat buy.

C26714A7-EE1F-4BC7-A610-A9B92374F93E.jpeg.a582775951dce94f9764181e4648d76a.jpeg

• I like it 2