Porters....

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I've found that I really enjoy porter beer. In fact, I find myself enjoying Yuengling Porter almost exclusively these days. I dislike the hoppy beers it seems everyone is making these days and I like the thickness that porter has. I love that coffee/chocolate/caramel flavor that comes from the dark grains. I also don't care much for the overly-malty tasting porters and stouts. I think this is why I've gravitated to the Yuengling Porter. It's not very malty, and the majority of the flavor comes from the grains. It is not overpowered or too-bittered by hops, and it's not terribly thick, nor thin as even their lager. It just strikes the right balance for me.

This all being said, what other dark beers should I try? Would Newcastle Brown Ale be a good one? I see it around often and I've been tempted to try it. Are there other good porters out there that are inexpensive and readily available?

So I've found that I really enjoy porter beer. In fact, I find myself enjoying Yuengling Porter almost exclusively these days. I dislike the hoppy beers it seems everyone is making these days and I like the thickness that porter has. I love that coffee/chocolate/caramel flavor that comes from the dark grains. I also don't care much for the overly-malty tasting porters and stouts. I think this is why I've gravitated to the Yuengling Porter. It's not very malty, and the majority of the flavor comes from the grains. It is not overpowered or too-bittered by hops, and it's not terribly thick, nor thin as even their lager. It just strikes the right balance for me.

This all being said, what other dark beers should I try? Would Newcastle Brown Ale be a good one? I see it around often and I've been tempted to try it. Are there other good porters out there that are inexpensive and readily available?

While Newcastle is a readily available and something I drink if no better option is handy I would say it is a middling brown ale at best. I think it has gotten a bit commercial and isn't what it used to be.

I like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and it is often available at a store with a decent selection.

The porter category is a bit broad and while brown ales, old ales, barley wines and porters all kind of evolved from the same general line the porters are a bit darker and heavier than brown ales but don't quite reach the level of a stout.

Samuel Smith again has a decent taddy porter style that is often available and you can sometimes find Fullers porter. Founder's isn't bad for an American version. Not sure what is regularly available in PA given the state liquor store limitations.

Newcastle, certainly, but for a couple of natives Shiner Bock or Abita Turbo Dog.

I love porters and stouts too, although I like them malty. One of my favs, and I just had one tonight on the beach on Kauai, is Maui Coconut Porter. I also like Stone Smoked Porter, they put out one with vanilla bean that is extra good.

I'm right there with you, porters are some of my favorite beers. I was enjoying some Yuengling Porter on vacation last month. Not sure what's available in your area but I like Founders, Anchor Porter, and Great Lakes Brewing has a really good one called the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Great Lakes Brewing has a really good one called the Edmund Fitzgerald.

this

probably the best porter I've ever had

Word on the Ed Fitz. Founders Porter is solid too. If I were looking to avoid hops and searching for roasty beers, I'd look at oatmeal stouts as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll have to make the rounds at the beer distributors and see what I can find!

Ed fitz from Great Lakes and founders porters are both solid year round offerings.

I love flying dogs gonzo imperial porter but it is a hoppy porter when fresh.

We have some mikkeller mexas ranger aged in tequila barrels. It is unbelievable but not cheap.

Stone makes an imperial smoked porter that is tasty. But be ready for smoked flavor.

A benchmark porter (at least IMHO) is Hill Farmstead Porter. Very narrow distribution but worth the effort to try and trade for on BA or RB. Taddy Porter by Samuel Smith's is another one to consider and is more widely available. It's a very good representative of the style.

I also like Stone Smoked Porter, they put out one with vanilla bean that is extra good.

I'll second that vote. In fact, anything from Stone is outstanding. If only I were worthy. :)

If you haven't tried it, pick up the oaked ale.

It was a 45 minute drive, but I stopped up in Reading at a beer distributor and they had several different Porters in stock. I ended up buying a case of Anchor Porter for $37.00. So far it's been pretty tasty stuff. Now I just need to find it locally.....

You know all them DIPA hop-heads are fixin' to lynch ya Ethang!

I have had one or two exceptional porters from the Mikkeler label. I know they kinda brew all over the place but are originally from Denmark. Some Belgian online friends suggest to me that the Danes make stouts and porters that they are most envious of.

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Stone, Ed Fitz, and Founders. Three of my favorites. I'll throw in Bell's porter, Left Hand's Black Jack Porter, and Tyranena's Rocky's Revenge or Chief Blackhawk.

The talk here led me to pickup a six of Ed Fitz last Friday. Man alive, it's a nice beer. Richly flavored and satisfying. I had a few over the weekend, but one specifically, on Sunday afternoon, was a real treat. Hard to describe it any other way.

I got my hands on a case of the Founder's. It's taking some getting used to. I don't think it's my favorite, but it's really interesting and tasty stuff nonetheless. The Anchor Porter, however, is quickly becoming a common sight in my beer mug....

I consider these 2 porters to be the absolute benchmarks of the style.

Anchor Porter and Fullers Porter.

The greatest session porter unfortunately is no longer made, Bert Grant's Perfect Porter, it was pretty darn close to perfect!

A couple other fun ones.

Okocim - A great Baltic Polish Porter.

The Old Engine Oil Porters from England.

and

Ballast Points Victory at Sea Imperial Vanilla Porter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.