BOTM 7/13: Willett Pot Still Reserve

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, I'm early on this one! :bigeyes:

A couple of members have suggested this one, plus there's a thread about it in the General Bourbon Discussion forum. I figured it would be a good time to make it BOTM.

I've never purchased this bourbon. I've only tasted it a couple times. Since I don't remember too much about it (CRS), I'll once again refrain from making any comments. Keep the applause to a minimum please. :lol:

Have fun, happy posting, and cheers to y'all! Joe

I've gone through 3 bottles of Willett Pot Still Reserve over the last couple of years, and although there will be some variability with single barrel offerings, there seems to be a bit more variance with this product, than say with EWSB, or ETL. My first bottle was nice from the outset, with a butterscotch nose, toasted corn and baking spices on the palate, with a long but mildly spicy finish; a very nice pour that I shared with a few novice bourbon drinkers who got hooked and went out and bought their own bottles. My second and third bottles were initially off-putting on the nose, with strong ketones, and was generally hot on the palate and finish. However, after letting each bottle sit and interact with air for several weeks, they were much better. I was picking up various notes of caramel corn and orange peel in bottle #2, and lemon peel and buttered popcorn in bottle #3. Overall, I've had enjoyable experiences with the Pot Still Reserve.

FYI, fishnbowljoe, the second "t" in "Willett" is missing from the thread title.

I have never been a fan of the WPS,I have owned exactly one bottle myself and have had it on plenty of other occasions to realize that I will never grow to appreciate it in any way.I feel the character in this particular Willett is all about black walnut and a buttery core that has just never worked for me,a hodge podge of flavors that seem to clash more than they compliment.I have had a lot of good products from KBD in the past and this one is not one of them.

I've had it on multiple occasions and I can honestly say that there are cheaper liquid solvents that are just as good for removing heel marks from linoleum.

Overpriced mystery juice, not for me.

I think the bottle is pretty cool :-) The whiskey, not bad but if it was in a typical bottle, I wouldn't pay more than $15 for it. Agree on the variability. Only owned one but tasted it many times, and the range is pretty wide.

I think the bottle is pretty cool :-) The whiskey, not bad but if it was in a typical bottle, I wouldn't pay more than $15 for it. Agree on the variability. Only owned one but tasted it many times, and the range is pretty wide.

Not only is the 'range pretty wide' (which it certainly is); and, it's way over-priced (agree with Daryll); but, also the damned bottle (interesting as it is is) is too damned hard to fit on my shelf... it's so wiiiiiide :smiley_acbt:... takes up space I can use for tastier Bourbons!!!

Not only is the 'range pretty wide' (which it certainly is); and, it's way over-priced (agree with Daryll); but, also the damned bottle (interesting as it is is) is too damned hard to fit on my shelf... it's so wiiiiiide :smiley_acbt:... takes up space I can use for tastier Bourbons!!!

Silly - you empty it (in the usual manner) and then put it on top of the cabinet, or a shelf, etc. I like the lamp idea, and may do that at some point.

A high corn sweet corny bourbon has been my experience. But I have always enjoyed it. Despite people seeming to loath it on here I have enjoyed it and purchased it for home. Great looking package sure, the origins of the distillate may be a mystery to us. Many distillates have been aged at Willett, and there is certainly something special about their rackhouses IMHO. The flora and fauna of the Willett distillery makes a lot of magic happen out of distillates I'd normally find middle of the road. Willet Pot Still, I don't know where it came from, I doubt it came from a pot still, but I know to me it is good and better than other products. At that price point are there better options? Well that is a point for discussion, but I will affirm there is nothing wrong with this bourbon.

Why do they call it Pot Still? Was it once made with a pot still a couple hundred years ago?

Why do they call it Pot Still? Was it once made with a pot still a couple hundred years ago?

Based on what the tour guide told me when I visited the Willett Distillery this past spring, they call it Pot Still because that is the type of still they are currently using (although none of the juice coming of their pot still has aged enough to be bottled), and the pot still image is central to their marketing efforts (it is on much of their logo-emblazoned merchandise in the gift shop). And their Pot Still Reserve product is supposed to be their flagship brand. Eventually, when their own distillate finally matures, I suppose that they would then bottle it in their Pot Still Reserve bottles, making it more accurate. Per their website, the original Willett Distillery, dating back to the late 1930's, used a beer still and a column still (http://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/willett-story.html).

Why do they call it Pot Still?

So they can charge more from those who don't look past labels.

This is actually one of my regular pours. I just wish I knew more about where it came from.

Not a Pot Still hater. Had it a few times in a local restaurant before dinner. Enjoyed the pour w a few rocks. It's ok but never wowed enough to buy.

Happy it's taking up their shelf space not mine:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Bottle looks great on the bar, gets lots of looks from friends. However I will suggest other bottles for them to try.

I grade it average pour or a bit lower.

I have a bottle of this opened at the moment. It's just OK for my preferences. To me, there's not enough of the different elements that make it a good one. The burn was a little more than what it should be for what I'm getting on the other elements on flavor. I can drink it but it's not the first that I reach for. I'm unlikely to buy another bottle of these. I'll keep sipping on it. I'll see if time will change my mind on this one.

I received a Willett Pot Still bourbon for a gift this fall. Unfortunately I was really underwhelmed. Many <$20 pours beat it such as OGD BIB and Buffalo Trace in my opinion. Even from an artistic standpoint I find the bottle lacking. Then again my idea of a whiskey bottle is the OGD and Dant liter bottles. Grab 'em and pour and it fits in the cabinet when you're done.

I'm a huge fan of Willett Family Estate bottlings but the Pot Still boubon is not for me. Too new mak-y, raw and corny. I think the flashy bottle really appeals to people who are new to bourbon/don't really know what they're buying and get won over by the design.

My Avatar is actually me at Willett dipping my finger in one of their fermenter tanks. Their tour is the best one I've been on, I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had it on multiple occasions and I can honestly say that there are cheaper liquid solvents that are just as good for removing heel marks from linoleum.

Overpriced mystery juice, not for me.

• 4 months later...
I'm a huge fan of Willett Family Estate bottlings but the Pot Still boubon is not for me. Too new mak-y, raw and corny. I think the flashy bottle really appeals to people who are new to bourbon/don't really know what they're buying and get won over by the design.

I couldn't agree more. I'll steer folks looking for a pretty bottle to Pot Still, but the one I sampled was on the flat side. When quality of the juice is more important, I usually steer to better products at lower price points.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these just before xmas - initial thoughts were that it was OK neat - nothing special but perfectly pleasant. Then tried it with a splash of water and didn't like it that way. Then tried a pour and let it stand for 10-15 mins - this made all the difference for me. Seemed to open up a few new flavours - was even getting a hint of orange in the nose.

Overall, I like it but it's overpriced (£48 in England which is about $80 in the US) and i doubt i'd buy it again as there are better bourbons out there for less. If I ever saw it on offer for a decent price i'd probably pick one up (but that's unlikely to happen!).

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.