Belgium Spirits Question

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My daughter and son-in-law are spending the week in Brussels, Belgium. Any suggestions on unique Belgium Spirits they can bring back. I've heard about genever but know nothing about type or brand suggestions. Thanks,

My daughter and son-in-law are spending the week in Brussels, Belgium. Any suggestions on unique Belgium Spirits they can bring back. I've heard about genever but know nothing about type or brand suggestions. Thanks,

When I think of Belgium I tend to think of beer of course. Not sure if there is a particular national Belgian spirit although jenever is made in Belgium. That said the Netherlands is right next door and lots of different jenevers can be found. I would look for something that is aged a bit as that is uncommon in the US. A 10yo Korenwejn is nice, probably not too hard to find and not typically seen here.

Not sure about the Brussels duty free in the airport. I know in Amsterdam you can get Bols 10yo Korenwijn in duty free.

Not liquor of course but there is a decent if somewhat touristy beer store in downtown Brussels called the Bier Tempel a block or two north of the Grand Place, the central plaza in town. Had a lot of options including the Pappy of the beer world, Westvleteren (very good but highly sought after and way over priced!) when I was there last year. Cafe Delerium and its huge beer selection is not far away. Cantillon Brewery is also not far from downtown (about 1 mile on foot and close to the Midi train station) if you like gueze and lambics made the old fashioned way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.