Best sipping rum to start with?

jwacky
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I first started with spirits by mixing rum and coke, and actually still do prefer that to a whiskey/coke. For neat drinks, I prefer bourbon. Lately, the rums have been catching my eye at the local BevMo and I've been curious about trying something 'nice' that can be had neat (i.e. not in a plastic bottle, ha!).

But since I know next to nothing about rums, I've got no clue where to start. Zaya, Flor de Cana 7 year, and Plantation Barbados seem to be well liked and won't break the bank in case I end up not liking it neat and won't cringe should I end up mixing them. Thoughts on those three? Something else I should look for instead? I'd like to keep it under $30/bottle. Thanks!

There's a rum thread in the non-whiskey forum that's got a lot of great info.

But of your selection @ TotalWine, I'd start with the El Dorado 12 or 15. The 15 is a little funkier but ymmv - they're totally different rums (different blends) so the 15 isn't just the 12 with +3 yrs.

The Total Wine here has R.L. Seale's 10yo which is an expensive but tasty Barbados rum in a funky bottle.

But you can't go trying El Dorado 12 and 15. The 15 may drift over the $30 limit but it is well worth it in my opinion.

The Total Wine here has R.L. Seale's 10yo which is an expensive but tasty Barbados rum in a funky bottle.

But you can't go trying El Dorado 12 and 15. The 15 may drift over the $30 limit but it is well worth it in my opinion.

I highly recommend El Dorado 12yr. The stuff is amazing and I need to get another bottle of it. Also recommend Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela. It's a little over $30 but is quite good, too.

ElDo 15 has been $35 here in North Fla. until they started using a big new South Fla. distributor. Prices on all their products went up 40% at wholesale overnight. Looking at over $50 with tax now.

Raise the celing to 'less than' $40 and the choices broaden considerably but at under $30 Barbancourt 5 Star or Bacardi 8 yr is the upper limit and that's only on sale.

Edited by squire

I highly recommend El Dorado 12yr. The stuff is amazing and I need to get another bottle of it. Also recommend Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela. It's a little over $30 but is quite good, too.

You guys have anything good at your store, Matt? Could use some summertime rum.

Raise the celing to 'less than' $40 and the choices broaden considerable but at under $30 Barbancourt 5 Star or Bacardi 8 yr is the upper limit and that's only on sale.

In these parts Barbancourt 5 star has been at $50 for more than a year now. It was at $45 for a long time before that. I was shocked at how reasonable it was in Atlanta when I was up there a few weeks ago. Sounds like you need to stock up Squire.

Around here the regular price is the same as Bacardi 8 and El Dorado 12 which is to say around $34.95, though I have found them on sale for less, and no, I've already cleaned out the sale stock.

Rhum Barbancourt 15 yr Estate Reserve, aged in oak.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by awachatz

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up just going with the Plantation Barbados but will certainly reference this list the next time I shop for rum. This will only be the second or third time I've had an actual sipping rum, so I'm eager to crack open the bottle.

Flor de Cana 12 year tastes like bourbon to me at first, only with a sweet, mild finish.

Just picked up my first premium bottle of rum. A 21 year el dorado. So easy to drink and I could nose it for days. Wish it was higher than 80 proof though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.