Ballantine's 17: An Inquiry

Parkersback
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A local store just placed Ballantine's 17 Year Old on sale for $49.99, and I'm tempted to snag a bottle, if only for the novelty of buying something for half of usual retail. I do like to venture to the Dark Side now and again, and I even love me some blends now and again (e.g. Great King St.), so it wouldn't be a huge stretch. But I wondered if anyone here had a strong opinion one way or another.

No brainer

Its a blend designed to be smooth. It has low ABV. Its not going to be scary but its a very delicious dram that has a lot on the subtle side to add.

Steffen

I'll agree with Steffen, sometimes I just want something nice that I can enjoy without thinking too much about it.

I recommend it, esp. at that price - normally I see it closer to $80 or more, so that is a nice price!

The newer bottling comes in a blue box, and has a "17 year old" band around the shoulder of the bottle. The prior bottling was in a red box without the shoulder label. I've had both, and enjoyed both. Well balanced with a healthy peat note - nothing like an Islay, but it is there and well balanced with the other components.

I think the one Jim Murray raved about was in the blue box, but either will not disappoint.

No brainer

Its a blend designed to be smooth. It has low ABV. Its not going to be scary but its a very delicious dram that has a lot on the subtle side to add.

Steffen

I'll agree with Steffen, sometimes I just want something nice that I can enjoy without thinking too much about it.

Agree with both.

With blends, the older they are the closer they drink to single malts*, and 50 bucks for a good quality single malt is a good deal.

If I could get it for $50 around here (normally sells for $90) I would buy a case.

* this is due mainly to two factors: (1) grain whisky tends to be better the older it is (not necessarily true with SM), and (2) they tend to use higher % of SM and better cask selection in older blends in order to justify the hefty premiums over the regular Ballantines (which is probably mostly 3-5yo whisky).

Wow, saw this on the shelf today. List price is 129.99! IS that the bottle you are talking about?

post-8493-14489819416969_thumb.jpg

If it were marked down to $50 here it would seem like a steal. Assuming it was something you wanted of course.

Wow, saw this on the shelf today. List price is 129.99! IS that the bottle you are talking about?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15999[/ATTACH]

If it were marked down to $50 here it would seem like a steal. Assuming it was something you wanted of course.

That looks like the older bottling - but $130 is at least $40 more than you should pay before discounting! I think The Party Source has it for about $83; I've seen it generally between $90 and $95...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.