BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know ETL has been BOTM before, but it's been a few years. Besides, I thought it would be kind of a nice way for us to honor and remember Elmer T.

My thoughts.... I really like ETL. One darn good bourbon if you ask me. I taste a few different things when I have a pour of ETL. The last bottle I had, had the usual sweet, nutty caramel flavor, but there was also a very slight hint of cocoa way back in the background. There was also a touch of spice, a la brown sugar/cinnamon.

At the start, the nutty, caramel sweetness is well apparent and inviting. The mid palate starts a gentle warming, and is also where the cocoa flavor became apparent to me. The finish is a continuance of the mid-palate warming, and also where the spice, brown sugar/cinnamon shows itself. Good from start to finish. Nicely balanced too. Like I said before, one darned good bourbon if you ask me. It probably should be added to the list of good value pours.

So let's here what you all have to say. Cheers to you, and cheers to Elmer T. :toast:

ETL was my first really drinkable bourbon when I was just getting into bourbon a few years back. No Coke, no piles of ice and the whole time I was shocked and impressed.

Sweet yet balanced taste, no burn and made me want to have another pour.

Hopefully they keep it cranking after his passing.

I didn't try ETL until early this year. I don't look for or prefer bourbons that are "smooth" but the bottles of ETL I've had are probably the smoothest bourbons I've ever tasted. Just a delicious, approachable, friendly whiskey. A bourbon for everyone, but not for the lowest common denominator.

I will have to agree. I initially tried this in Louisville at the Silver Dollar Cafe and wasn't really impressed. Recently, I passed through Paducah and sampled a single barrel selection at Roof Bros. Consider me converted! I bought two bottles...along with a whole bunch of other whiskey and beer.

For me Blantons is more complex and Rock Hill Farms has a bit better flavor but Elmer T. does right well.

Those are still on my list to try for sure Squire. The RHF I had was undrinkable (tainted) and I haven't opened my bottle of Blanton's yet.

ETL is a bottle that always graces my shelves and have always been a fan,the 15yr SV bottling nothing short if epic and the 90th Birthday Edition was also pretty damn good.May his name live on through the label for a great many years and I would love to see BT release a commemorative bottle in his honor.

I know this has been asked many times and I have seen several answers, but does anyone know the average age of ETL? I've seen answers from 4-14yrs. No way it's just 4. My guess is that it's similar to BT 8-9yrs.

Supposedly bottled when it was "ready" but I think the general consensus was it was around 8 years.

A bottle I always keep on hand that offers a nice balance between price and quality.

My thoughts.... I really like ETL. One darn good bourbon if you ask me. I taste a few different things when I have a pour of ETL. The last bottle I had, had the usual sweet, nutty caramel flavor, but there was also a very slight hint of cocoa way back in the background. There was also a touch of spice, a la brown sugar/cinnamon.

Joe is (or was) right about this description for much of the ETL that I've had (several bottles over about three years)..... However, the very last bottle I bought was LOUSY! I always had ETL as one of my few 'go-to' pours for a mid-priced, easy-to-enjoy bourbon; but this last one is so bad I've had it open for about six-months, because I just don't reach for it any more. It's very grassy, and tastes way 'under-aged'. How the folks at BT let this slip through in an ETL bottle and didn't age it longer, or use it in some other brand more in line with this profile, I have no idea; but it's turned me off of ETL for the forseeable future. ... And, that makes me sad. :rolleyes:

My favorite current production ryed bourbon. I love it!

Close ... ETL is currently #2 behind EC12 for me.

One of my favorite value pours. ETL was one of the bourbons that introduced me to this hobby/obsession of drinking and enjoying bourbon. I agree with the many posts that say ETL is easy-drinking and smooth. For me, ETL was definitely a gateway bourbon! It made me realize that I did like bourbon, and nudged me to try different brands, mashbill recipes, styles, etc. If the rumors were true about Elmer actually picking the barrels for the product, I'm would assume that the quality will be a lot different from prior bottlings. Maybe better, maybe worse, but very likely different.

Joe is (or was) right about this description for much of the ETL that I've had (several bottles over about three years)..... However, the very last bottle I bought was LOUSY! I always had ETL as one of my few 'go-to' pours for a mid-priced, easy-to-enjoy bourbon; but this last one is so bad I've had it open for about six-months, because I just don't reach for it any more. It's very grassy, and tastes way 'under-aged'. How the folks at BT let this slip through in an ETL bottle and didn't age it longer, or use it in some other brand more in line with this profile, I have no idea; but it's turned me off of ETL for the forseeable future. ... And, that makes me sad. :rolleyes:

Yes, that is always the danger with single barrel products, which is why whenever I purchase and open a bottle of ETL, and it tastes particularly good, I try to go back to that same store and bunker a few from (hopefully) the same barrel. So far, that's worked out for me.

I have a bottle of RHF that is disgusting.

You can't let that stop you from trying another bottle though. Especially, if you have had good ones previously.

I've always wanted to try this but never have. I never see it in any of the stores around where I live...Is it not available in New York state?

I didn't try ETL until early this year. I don't look for or prefer bourbons that are "smooth" but the bottles of ETL I've had are probably the smoothest bourbons I've ever tasted. Just a delicious, approachable, friendly whiskey. A bourbon for everyone, but not for the lowest common denominator.

Perfectly stated I can't think of anything to add beyond another bottle which I just purchased.

I would like to ask, what is the relationship of BT to ETL in terms of mashbill, age, warehouse location? What are supposed to be the similarities and differences?

The mashbill info is in the whiskey tree thread. BT is MB#1 (lower rye) and ETL is MB#2 (higher rye). Not sure about the rest but I've seen the warehouse info in other threads.

I have a bottle of RHF that is disgusting.

You can't let that stop you from trying another bottle though. Especially, if you have had good ones previously.

Joe, that is what I like about you! A never be defeated attitude! If at first you don't like it, try try again! :grin:

I guess I wonder the future of this brand. Mr. Lee personally selected the bourbon to be bottled. At least, that is what we were led to believe. Thoughts on its future? I suspect that it will stick around.

Joe, that is what I like about you! A never be defeated attitude! If at first you don't like it, try try again! :grin:
Except when it comes to scotch. ;)

Good call on the botm. When I first tried my first bottle of ETL, I didn't really like it. My first impressions were that there were some flavors but they were faint. No doubt smooth. It wasn't until half way through the bottle that I realized what I was doing wrong...for my palate, I couldn't drink ETL on the same night with other bourbons. It has to either be exclusively ETL or ETL as the first pours. If I had anything else first, I found ETL to end up tasting like "background music." So, when I'm in the mood for ETL, I drink it exclusively that night or have a good pour of it first before moving to something else. When I do that, ETL and all it's flavors and balance comes through beautifully.

Hidden
Good call on the botm. When I first tried my first bottle of ETL, I didn't really like it. My first impressions were that there were some flavors but they were faint. No doubt smooth. It wasn't until half way through the bottle that I realized what I was doing wrong...for my palate, I couldn't drink ETL on the same night with other bourbons. It has to either be exclusively ETL or ETL as the first pours. If I had anything else first, I found ETL to end up tasting like "background music." So, when I'm in the mood for ETL, I drink it exclusively that night or have a good pour of it first before moving to something else. When I do that, ETL and all it's flavors and balance comes through beautifully.

This seems to be good advice in general when going low proof to high proof or even wheater to rye bourbon or straight rye. As another example I like Larceny. But had some open w friends while also tasting WLW and some VW's. Great wheater night but the Larceny tasted like bourbon flavored water next to the powerhouses.

The mashbill info is in the whiskey tree thread. BT is MB#1 (lower rye) and ETL is MB#2 (higher rye). Not sure about the rest but I've seen the warehouse info in other threads.

Ah the Whiskey tree, still learning my way around. Thanks for that info, makes perfect sense.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.