BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oddly enough, picked up my first bottle just a few weeks before he passed.

I definitely enjoyed the sweet caramel notes mixed with the dry rye spice, coupled with the smooth finish. I'll certainly miss it (not available in my state), but BT is mighty close and $5-$10 cheaper.

I'm surprised to see they're from different mashbills... I would have guessed ETL is the same juice as BT, just more honed-in on the honey barrels... or at least, specific age/barrel locations that match his preferred flavor profile better.

JP I've come to believe mashbills are not near as important as I once thought. I think the barrel and it's location in the warehouse is a much bigger deal.

Squire, I agree. Ritt BIB vs OGD BIB does a pretty good job of proving that, IMHO.

Oddly enough, picked up my first bottle just a few weeks before he passed.

I definitely enjoyed the sweet caramel notes mixed with the dry rye spice, coupled with the smooth finish. I'll certainly miss it (not available in my state), but BT is mighty close and $5-$10 cheaper.

I'm surprised to see they're from different mashbills... I would have guessed ETL is the same juice as BT, just more honed-in on the honey barrels... or at least, specific age/barrel locations that match his preferred flavor profile better.

JP I've come to believe mashbills are not near as important as I once thought. I think the barrel and it's location in the warehouse is a much bigger deal.

Good to know I'm not going crazy, at least. Every time I think I have a grasp on this bourbon stuff, I find out I'm not so smart. ;)

I'm with squire on this one. The Rock Hill Farms definately edges it out in flavor, but the ETL has the edge in price.

Love ETL. An absolute staple as long as it shall be produced and I shall drink bourbon. I have three iterations of it right now--15 year SV bottling (amazing, and only 1/2 bottle left), regular ETL Barrel Select (delicious), and regular ETL (unopened right now). I need to compare the stock ETL to the special store bottling I have, as the store bottling is delicious and I'll stock up if it is significantly better than the stock. Great bourbon period, and a great value.

I know this has been asked many times and I have seen several answers, but does anyone know the average age of ETL? I've seen answers from 4-14yrs. No way it's just 4. My guess is that it's similar to BT 8-9yrs.

FWIW, recent custom bottlings have been from 9 yo barrels.

FWIW, recent custom bottlings have been from 9 yo barrels.

Yep - when we did our private barrel selection, the 9 barrels we had to pick from were all 9 yrs and a few days, and the BT rep said 9 yrs is when they are pulling for ETL (although that may differ based on seasons, etc).

An average of 9 years is what Mr. Elmer said in an interview some years ago but he stressed warehouse position and maturity were the primary concerns and the age just sort of worked out that way.

An average of 9 years is what Mr. Elmer said in an interview some years ago but he stressed warehouse position and maturity were the primary concerns and the age just sort of worked out that way.

ETL is one of my all-time favorite bourbons. It is just so easily drinkable yet packed with flavor. I love the citrus fruitiness, baking spice and toffee backbone it has. I can see why Elmer (supposedly) drank a tall glass of this stuff a day.

Does anyone know when they started using the current squat bottle for ETL? I know that they stopped using the wax seal on the current bottle at the end of 2005 from posts on this site, but I can't find any other info.

Edit: found the answer here - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?4393-Elmer-T-Lee-Single-Barrel&p=47659&viewfull=1#post47659

They switched to the current bottle shape in 1999 (and dropped the proof to 90) and stopped using the wax seal at the end of 2005.

Edited by smknjoe
Found the Answer

Great BOTM selection. ETL is definitely one of the favorites. Surprised not to see people talk about cherries in the flavor profile...

I too wonder what will happen to the brand now that Elmer has passed. A special bottling would be a nice way to honor him. Personally, I prefer ETL over Blanton's. Less wood in the flavor profile and a whole lot less expensive...

I expect the brand to thrive but please let's not talk about special bottling as those words and increased price usually make it into the same paragraph.

I expect the brand to thrive but please let's not talk about special bottling as those words and increased price usually make it into the same paragraph.

Now we're starting to be as superstitious as baseball players!

It's bad enough we're talking about ETL here. If there was a bourbon I really don't want the whole world to wise up to and cause the price to jack up, it's this one... :grin:

Now we're starting to be as superstitious as baseball players!

It's bad enough we're talking about ETL here. If there was a bourbon I really don't want the whole world to wise up to and cause the price to jack up, it's this one... :grin:

Amen to that. When I told some friends at work about picking a barrel of ETL and they asked "What's that?", I immediately deflected. "Oh, it's generally overpriced swill; in fact, we're picking a barrel because they're looking to dump some of it. Bad stuff - I'd steer clear".

Amen to that. When I told some friends at work about picking a barrel of ETL and they asked "What's that?", I immediately deflected. "Oh, it's generally overpriced swill; in fact, we're picking a barrel because they're looking to dump some of it. Bad stuff - I'd steer clear".

I got to thinking just a minute ago about... "Maybe I need to buy a case..." And then again we were just talking about a commemorative bottling...

Maybe it'd just be better to see if we can get a group together and get ourselves a barrel... I know I would be in for a case worth. Sadly, I have no connections with BT. This could be the "SB Tribute to Elmer" barrel... :)

I got to thinking just a minute ago about... "Maybe I need to buy a case..." And then again we were just talking about a commemorative bottling...

Maybe it'd just be better to see if we can get a group together and get ourselves a barrel... I know I would be in for a case worth. Sadly, I have no connections with BT. This could be the "SB Tribute to Elmer" barrel... :)

There is a thread to get that discussion going, although logistics is a huge pain in the butt (not to mention getting folks to commit to X bottles). Ours was picked in late April, and I'm looking forward to tasting it shortly :yum:

My first BOTM as a SB member. I actually had a bottle stashed away already and cracked the seal last night. First impressions were a very smooth and very tasty bourbon, slightly sweeter than i normally like, but in a good way. Had to resist a second pour since it was late on a work night. I look forward to my next glass and doing a tasting review (usually wait til about mid-bottle to start writing notes down).

Edited by DrBob

I drink ETL from time to time, but it's not something I reach for that often. I find it to be just so damn smooth and mellow that I usually find myself wishing it was higher proof when I drink it. I wish I had some of the ETL BUB to compare!

A friend of mine who I hadn't seen came to my house yesterday, saw my collection, and said, "Whats a good whiskey for me to try?" This was the one I picked. We sipped and I also poured him a glass of Makers 46 so he could see which he thought was "better". $20 more the 46 lost out, as I expected, to the ETL, which he LOVED. Truly tasty stuff.

As a newcomer to the bourbon world, I had my first sips of ETL last night. I must say, it's a wonderful whiskey. Incredibly well rounded on both the nose and palate. Caramel, vanilla, charred oak, dusty rye spice, a bit of toffee, with a comfortable full mouth feel and a long, rye spice finish. What got me was how incredibly nuanced it was. Perhaps this is just my inexperience talking, but for many bourbons there are certain scents and flavors that jump out immediately. Not so with ETL; everything seemed perfectly balanced. This is an incredibly easy drinking bourbon but one that you can also sit with and contemplate on. I'm looking forward to seeing how this opens up over the coming weeks and perhaps grabbing another bottle to compare.

There is a thread to get that discussion going, although logistics is a huge pain in the butt (not to mention getting folks to commit to X bottles). Ours was picked in late April, and I'm looking forward to tasting it shortly :yum:

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.