BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A little late to the thread this month. Been on vacation. Fishing was good. So I picked up my first ETL single barrel last night. Smooth, actually too smooth. That's not necessarily a bad thing: sometimes I like it smooth and sometimes I like it rough--but all times I like it to be interesting. Just not much happening here in ETL for me--pleasant enough, and no off tastes, but nothing exciting. Maybe the notes were too subtle for me yesterday, and I'll surely give it a chance to air a bit and grow on me. The ball & chain liked it, though, and she mostly makes faces when tasting my rare stuff; so ETL may well be an excellent introductory pour for the bourbon novice.

Chuckles, I don't think that is an erroneous description of the stock ETL. It is smooth, sometimes bordering on too smooth. It is delicious, and very pleasing, but sometimes a bit "flat". There is some barrel variation, but I don't think there is too much difference between the standard ETL bottles out there.

That is why I bought a few bottles of a store bottling by me. I have a standard ETL bottle around that I should open to compare, but when I tasted the store bottling, it struck me as a decent amount more flavorful and complex than what I recalled of the last standard ETL that I had open. I would hope that both BT and the store selectors do make an attempt to pick out some exceptional barrels for their barrel selects.

Either way, it is darn good bourbon for under $30, and quite good when you get an excellent barrel.

Somehow I missed this thread. Can you redirect those of us interested? I'm still kicking myself for passing on the ETL15 that was offerred a few years back.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?58-Group-Barrel-Purchases

You can start a new thread, but I wouldn't set high expectations (not that folks don't love picking barrels, but logistics/planning can be intense - and with folks from all over the world, it is even more challenging)

I just opened my standard single barrel bottle tonight and am already on the second pour. Wonderful bourbon, very balanced and smooth. This gem does not need any air time to work the kinks out and is so too easibly drinkable... which is dangerous territory at its current price point. A fine pour by any standard!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Elmer T. Lee. It's a good solid balanced bourbon, and has a nice sweetness that many other don't have. I've had both the standard bottling and a barrel pick, and they were both good.

• 2 years later...

Saw a bottle of ETL on the shelf of a local store for $22.99 and grabbed it right away.  Easy drinking and very accessible.  Sweetness on the nose and palate with a relatively short finish.  Me likee!   :D

TTFN,

F.

8-)

I wonder if that price was a mistake by the store.  Even before the craze started several years ago, it was around $25.  I think current MSRP is low $30s, if you find it.  

I bought two bottles this past Saturday for $34.99 each. It's the best price in my neck of the woods, and hasn't changed for while. 

I was on vacation out east last year in the Boston area for a family get together, and purchased a "few" for $29.99. A "few" equals 5. They were purchased from a couple of different stores. I only came home with three though. My older step brother and I have birthdays only a couple days apart, and our birthdays just so happened to coincide with our get together. He received one as a birthday present, and we drank one over the course of the week we were together. :P 

I almost feel like a cheapskate. His birthday gift to me was a bottle of Blanton's. :)

Cheers! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I was on vacation out east last year in the Boston area for a family get together, and purchased a "few" for $29.99.

Hey Joe,

Next time you come up to Boston, please let me know and I'd be glad to show you around my bourbons, wine and beer at Total Wines in Natick.  And you won't have to pay tax on any of it!     :D

TTFN,

F.

8-)

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.