Monkey Shoulder..nice bang for your buck

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder for $29.99 at Spec's a while back and started drinking it this week. 43% ABV, a nice blended malt (no grain whisky). It is supposedly a blend of Kininvie, Balvenie, and Glenfiddich. If so I like it a lot better than entry level Glenfiddich.

I've got one in the bunker as well. It does look a little orange in the bottle but a solid reasonably priced blend.

I agree with you both - this is a solid SM blend and a good one for those who aren't a fan of Scotch to try. For the price, you aren't out much more than a bourbon that didn't catch your fancy.

William Grant targets this product to bartenders to use in making cocktails. It's only the young side, no age statement but I'm guessing probably 6-8 years. I think it's very solid pour for the price.

It sits at the $35-$40 price range here, and has proved a hit with several scotch drinkers I know regardless of how they enjoy their pour.

Everyone I've served it to has really enjoyed it. I think it is one of the better value drams under $40. Good mouthfeel and a richness that is a bit unexpected given it's price. Typically $30-$32 is what I've seen here I the Northeast. The marketing focus behind it is very interesting. Grant is trying to skip a generation and go for the youth market who don't give whisky a second glance. They've had a fair bit of success doing so. We'll how long it lasts.

It sits at the $35-$40 price range here, and has proved a hit with several scotch drinkers I know regardless of how they enjoy their pour.

I can see that. I bought a bottle when I saw it at $24. It's very solid and has that nice combo of Balvenie and Glenfiddich that you would want. Definitely recommended for those who want a tasty value pour.

Monkey Shoulder is delicious whisky. I'm no Scotch expert, so my opinion is not from on high. Sweet, malty, nice pot still character. I love vatting Scotch in my glass. Today, I poured some Monkey Shoulder and threw in some 90s era Sheep Dip. Beautiful, malty, slightly peaty whisky. These malt blends blend together beautifully.

Really MS is a fairly enjoyable pour overall,good enough to drink neat and cheap enough not to feel guilty using it in a cocktail for the $26 it commands around here.It is not something I find myself reaching for continually but it's definitely good enough to serve when company is over and it won't raise any leering glances.

Edited by WAINWRIGHT

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.