Knappogue Castle 12 year Irish Single Malt.

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just picked up this Irish single malt for less than $30. Beautiful fruity nose with hints of almond. It arrives fruity and sweet but not overly sweet like a lot of Irish blends do. There's euculyptus, cinnamon, and almond in the development, along with some nutmeg allspice. The ex-bourbon casks they use give it just a bit of char and of course oak. Has a clean dry medium finish. This one is a good value and well worth a try. Remember it is triple distilled and bottled at 40% so it has a light mouth feel like most Irish. But it has a lot of nice notes both on the nose and palate.

Anyone else tried this?

Edited by Merrymash Monk

As do I and agree with your assesment as well! An interesting variation on Bushmills sourced whiskey.

A very light and subtle pour compared to an average Bourbon. First tasted it late in the evening after a few pours of Bourbon and found it featureless and watery. A few nights later I tried it as a first pour and saw it's attributes. Wish there was less euculyptus in the mix but that's down to personal preference.

They did a few 12yo vintage releases - I recently found the 1994 and really enjoy it - very fruity, nice mouthfeel, but a much drier finish compared to a Bushmill's 10...

• 2 weeks later...

I like the contrast between the dry finish and the sweet delivery. Plus it has a little more burn in the development than some Irish. The dryness took a little getting used to but I like it now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.