Mellow Corn expands to Maryland....

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was just notified by a friend and liquor store owner that Mellow Corn will be soon available in Maryland- by early September!!! I guess the promised brand expansion is happening!!!!

I guess the promised brand expansion is happening!!!!

I think you are right - I just saw it in Julio's yesterday - I was surprised to see it.

I think you are right - I just saw it in Julio's yesterday - I was surprised to see it.

I bought a bottle of Mellow Corn at Julio's sometime around March of this year, I seem to remember one of the staff saying that they'd just put it on the (bottom) shelf for the first time.

I haven't seen any marketing push to go with expanding into new territories.

I seem to remember reading around here that Mellow Corn will be switching from DSP 354 to DSP 1 in the near future (like Rittenhouse). We only recently started to get MC in Indiana. It used to be one of those must stock up in KY items for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Midway Liquors has it in Joppa, MD. Already got a few there!

Was hoping for something west of Baltimore but I may be close to Joppa later this week. Would you say it's worth a 30 minute side trip for Mellow Corn &/or to visit this store? I've never been.

I drive 2 hours from PA to this store, so YES. Stan Bilden is the owner and he's a SUPER guy. If he doesn't have it, he'll get it. His prices seem reasonable and he's usually got a pretty decent selection of stuff. Call ahead to make sure he didn't get wiped out of the Mellow Corn yet- http://www.midwayliquors.com/

• 2 months later...

I just bought a bottle of Mellow Corn in Montgomery County today. Not sure how long it's been there, I never noticed it when searching since it's buried under the "Blended Whiskey" section of their website.

I really like this stuff. I bought a few of them @ TPS this past summer (shelved back and to the right, nowhere near the bourbon), then noticed it in AR, and finally in TX a few months later. (Apologies for the southwesterly thread drift.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff is great! Definitely not Bourbon but good in it's own right. BIB so no color or flavors added, and it's got that grassy sweet corny flavor.

I just bought a bottle of Mellow Corn in Montgomery County today. Not sure how long it's been there, I never noticed it when searching since it's buried under the "Blended Whiskey" section of their website.

I haven't seen any in the Frederick area yet. I got mine Joppa (thanks ethangsmith!) while I was in the area.

Too lazy to start a new thread but I am just having my first pour of this and I find it really interesting. Really strong corn flavor but a spice too, nutmeg? Sweet also, has a molasses feel.

Too lazy to start a new thread but I am just having my first pour of this and I find it really interesting. Really strong corn flavor but a spice too, nutmeg? Sweet also, has a molasses feel.

I enjoy the heck out of it, and ya can't beat the price!

It reminds me of caramel popcorn and cotton candy. It's a unique product and should be enjoyed for that. The extra sweetness and lack of deep complexity are sometimes the refreshing break my palate wants.

I picked up a bottle the last time I visited the Montgomery county liquor store, so I agree it has arrived in MD...although our prices are great, we are very slow to get new products. [h=5]Just tried my first dram of Mellow Corn. I think I really like it. It has a reputation for being fairly sweet and an easy sipper, and I agree. Although I'm not a huge wheater fan, I think it is certainly better than nearly all of the wheaters I've currently got open (Lot B, ORVW 10, Old Fitzgerald BIB, Larceny, Makers, Makers 46, OWA).[/h]

Having my second pour of this tonight, and it's a good one. Sweet, getting a little spice (or maybe it's just some kick from the proof), and just a fun whiskey. Even at the "inflated" price of $13 here, it's a bargain for a really nice and unique whiskey.

• 4 weeks later...

Mellow Corn seems to have disappeared from Virginia. Haven't seen it on the shelves in a while, and it is no longer on the price list online. I was in Montgomery County today stocking up on some Rittenhouse Rye and needed a few bottles to round out my case discount. I was happy to pick up two bottles of Mellow Corn while I was there.

Up until a week or so ago, my favorite store had been out of MC for a few weeks. Then they had two, which dropped to one after I left the store.

Mellow Corn seems to have disappeared from Virginia. Haven't seen it on the shelves in a while, and it is no longer on the price list online. I was in Montgomery County today stocking up on some Rittenhouse Rye and needed a few bottles to round out my case discount. I was happy to pick up two bottles of Mellow Corn while I was there.

I had a long and fruitless search for Mellow Corn in the NoVa area before I found it in MoCo. Thankfully they decided to pick up the slack. Knowing MoCo it's also probably priced a few bucks less than when it was in Virginia!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.