K&L Karuizwa (1981/cask#8775, 1999/cask#869)

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I posted this in an earlier thread but guess it got dumped with the site issues.

The nose is the most compelling aroma I've ever smelled in a whiskey. This going to sound crazy but right up front is BBQ, beef bouillon, dark dark fruits, wisps of smoke.....holy cow this is a crazy nose. I can't stop nosing the glass.........

The entry is a powerful, big meaty profile, some heat, sherry is there but in a dark aged way.....coats the tongue is a big way....finish is so long......bitter chocolate on the finish but some sweet sherry notes hanging around.

I would say this is the Mephistopheles beer of whiskey.....big, bold, chewy, complex with so many flavors dancing in and out....it's a crazy whiskey. At only 13 years old....its so so good. This is going to be fun to try over and over.

For those that managed to get some of this whiskey.....buckle up buttercup.

I posted this in an earlier thread but guess it got dumped with the site issues.

The nose is the most compelling aroma I've ever smelled in a whiskey. This going to sound crazy but right up front is BBQ, beef bouillon, dark dark fruits, wisps of smoke.....holy cow this is a crazy nose. I can't stop nosing the glass.........

The entry is a powerful, big meaty profile, some heat, sherry is there but in a dark aged way.....coats the tongue is a big way....finish is so long......bitter chocolate on the finish but some sweet sherry notes hanging around.

I would say this is the Mephistopheles beer of whiskey.....big, bold, chewy, complex with so many flavors dancing in and out....it's a crazy whiskey. At only 13 years old....its so so good. This is going to be fun to try over and over.

For those that managed to get some of this whiskey.....buckle up buttercup.

That sounds amazing. I'm not sure why I even do this to myself, since K&L doesn't ship to TX. I should just swear off reading anything about their special releases.

I've tasted the 1999 and agree with Greg's assessment - there are so many

things going on and it'll be nice to revisit after it's been open for a while.

Connosr reviewed the 1999 and rated it a 94 - link.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.