"a few drops of water"......?

toddinjax
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I believe profit rather than taste is the driving force.
Indeed. I doubt taste factors into it much.

Taste does factor into the equation .... in the marketing materials. ;)

Anywhere from no additional water to 20 parts water/etc. to 1 part bourbon seems to suit me, depending on the occasion. I see no reason to hold some sort of reverence for whatever proof the bottle happens to hold, which is generally more a function of marketing/margin/taxation or other business consideration than some sort of inspired edict.

I splashed a small bit of water into an AE Rye last night after seeing this thread pop up again. Not better, not worse, just different and still very good.

I splashed a small bit of water into an AE Rye last night after seeing this thread pop up again. Not better, not worse, just different and still very good.

Therein lies the fun factor regarding this topic. The O.P. was looking for some guidance on the addition of water and ultimately we each have to decide if or how much. The formula is really handy for quantifying a "splash" and from there let the taste guide you.

The traditional British formula was half and half with lots of water.

how many things do the Brits actually get right, though?

I would have backed you, but the season ending episode of top gear this season was a pretty amazing eye opener to what the Brits actually get right.

Catherine Zeta-Jones, Kate Beckinsale, Elizabeth Hurley, and Audrey Hepburn come to mind... :D

Catherine Zeta-Jones, Kate Beckinsale, Elizabeth Hurley, and Audrey Hepburn come to mind... :D

007 ... still the coolest spy on the screen 50 years on...oh, and London is a great city and just a short hop across the pond from the East Coast.

you force me to rethink my original statement, joe....

it IS nice to watch a british woman talk too

Zeta-Jones is of course Welsh and they are generally unsure if they like to be included in that whole Brit "thang" although not so much as the Irish and Scots. Hepburn, although she had British citizenship through her father was born in Belgium and was more Dutch (her mother was a Dutch Baroness) and Austrian than she was British!

However, you get full marks for both Hurley and Beckinsale!

:cool:

Zeta-Jones is of course Welsh and they are generally unsure if they like to be included in that whole Brit "thang" although not so much as the Irish and Scots. Hepburn, although she had British citizenship through her father was born in Belgium and was more Dutch (her mother was a Dutch Baroness) and Austrian than she was British!

hurley's great until she starts talking. Beckinsale is a 10 in my book:)

Bruce, you know how I am with that whole Geography thing...:D

All I want for Christmas is a Globe...Wait! Maybe, it's time to bring out and open up that Evan Williams Millenium Globe Decanter!!

I most always drink everything neat (I like to think that the people who make whiskey... know how to make whiskey, and what they bottle is what that bottle should taste like). ?

Actually I think the idea behind a cask strength bottling is that you have the option to dilute it to whatever strength you prefer. That's our intention at Balcones at least. Once we put water in, you can't take it out. Whisky can taste and smell different at varying dilution points and I always encourage people to add a little water so they can observe the effect. While drinking at cask strength is nice, it's not necessarily required.

A couple of things happen when you dilute. First off, you reduce the alcoholic strength, which can cover up aromas. Second, H2O combines with esterfied alcohols and creates new chains of esters. Finally, you reduce the masking effect of certain esters like whisky lactones, a strong coconut aroma that can overpower more delicate esters even in small amounts.

Actually I think the idea behind a cask strength bottling is that you have the option to dilute it to whatever strength you prefer. That's our intention at Balcones at least. Once we put water in, you can't take it out. Whisky can taste and smell different at varying dilution points and I always encourage people to add a little water so they can observe the effect. While drinking at cask strength is nice, it's not necessarily required.

I have never felt that "dilution" was the point. Adding just a drop of water results in a chemical reaction that releases some of the suspended fatty acids, changing the nose and the flavor noticeably. That's why I start neat, then add a drop, then move on to ice. Each is a different experience. I never add enough water to actually dilute (except when melting ice makes this unavoidalbe) and I have found that I prefer some bourbon, even high barrel proof, taken neat because it does not necessarily "open up" with just a drop. De gustibus non disputantum est.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.