Powers Signature Release

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to try this. And I was not disappointed. Its a nice pour...or dram.

Sweet vanilla on the nose with some fruit and caramel.

On the palate it has the bracing entry that you'd expect with a 92 proof pot still. I add some water to calm it down a bit and it helps bring out layers of creamy caramel, vanilla, berries, a touch of orange and woody flavors. A nice long finish.

I paid around $38 for the bottle. Not cheap, but a bargain compared to Redbreast which starts around $65. And I enjoy it every bit as much. For those who savor Irish pot still I'd encourage you to give this one a go.

Edited by Merrymash Monk

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this in Atlanta and picked up a bottle. Got it for $32.99 which helped make my decision easier especially if it is as good as you say.

post-8493-14489819842509_thumb.jpg

It has gotten some pretty decent reviews including one from John on Whisky Advocate. I look forward to giving it a try soon along side its older brother and some of the other pot stills out there.

This isn't replacing the PJL is it?!

Nothing has been said about that and based on price differential very doubtful. Of course a price hike and even more scarcity for age stated PJL can be seen a coming.

This isn't replacing the PJL is it?!

Nothing has been said about that and based on price differential very doubtful. Of course a price hike and even more scarcity for age stated PJL can be seen a coming.

I have not seen this appear in the PacNW yet but I do see it online from one of my favorite retailers. I may have to pick up a bottle of the and PJL just to round out my irish collection.

Today a little H2H with Powers Signature Release, Powers John's Lane, Green Spot and the Masterson Barley whiskey thrown in just for fun.

The PSR was definitely a worthy addition to the Powers line and at the current price a great deal in my opinion. Not as heavy and lakes some of the spice of its big brother but good stuff in its own right. The bottle talks about green apples and that sounded a lot like Green Spot. Both are NAS that are probably under 10 years but the GS is 80 proof compared to the 92 proof the PSR weighs in with. GS was definitely the thinner and lighter whiskey. Even if it were readily available I would be inclined to go with the PSR.

The Masterson's Barley whiskey proved to be a very different beast. Totally different nose with a much more grassy scent that reminded me of walking into a barn full of stacks of grain in burlap sacks if that makes any sense. But in a good way!

I also expect the Masterson line is tailor made for blending to create ones own Franken-whiskey. I have no talent for that but would seem like a worthy endeavor.

Passed on this today. Was between it and Tullamore Phoenix. Couldn't decide and my cell reception in TPS always sucks for some reason, so no research to be done, there they stayed.

Passed on this today. Was between it and Tullamore Phoenix. Couldn't decide and my cell reception in TPS always sucks for some reason, so no research to be done, there they stayed.
It would have been a worthy addition to your collection,it is not the heavy hitter that the PJL's is but a great whisky at a more than fair price.I know your feelings on the PJL and mine for that matter you should pick one up and do a SBS sometime in the near future, for $32 you won't be disappointed.

• 1 month later...

I got a bottle of this tonight and it's liquid heaven. I'm an old fan of Powers Gold Label (although I haven't yet had any of the new stuff, now that it's been repositioned and the strength increased) and the Signature Release intrigued me. There's a .... I don't know how to describe it. There's something about Springbank that just hits the spot on a chilly, misty/foggy day, and Signature Release has that. It's really a sensory thing that defies description.

This was about $40 at Binny's, and well worth it I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.