Rosebank Resurrection

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It appears that Arran is attempting to bring Rosebank back:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/mothballed-rosebank-distillery-set-to-reopen-1-3085039

by PETER RANSCOMBE

Arran Brewery today secured a £500,000 grant from Historic Scotland to help bring the Rosebank distillery in Falkirk back into operation.

The company wants to open a brewery, micro-distillery and visitors centre on the site.

Rosebank, which opened in 1813, is often called one of Scotland’s great “silent” distilleries following its closure in 1993.

Gerald Michaluk, managing director at the Arran Brewery, said “This has been a long struggle to get support for this site from the Scottish Government.

“While we want to maintain the historic character of the site and open it to the public, at the same time we need to secure its on-going economic success by running a profitable business there.

“These two elements are proving difficulty to reconcile.”

Edited by ChainWhip

I thought I read somewhere that the distillery was stripped of equipment - so the stills etc are no longer there. It will be interesting to see how close it comes to the original - if I'm around that long to find out!

I wonder if they will be attempting to recreate the delicate character Rosebank was known for, or if it will be a completely new style. I've not known Arran to be similar in any way to the old Rosebank thus far.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I read somewhere that the distillery was stripped of equipment - so the stills etc are no longer there. It will be interesting to see how close it comes to the original - if I'm around that long to find out!

This new Rosebank (which will probably not be called Rosebank since Diageo still owns the name) is being made with new equipment. Whether the stills will be identical to the old stills remains unknown.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.