Herbsaint!

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw this often in American liquor stores, but always opted to bring back bourbon or rye. Well, finally, LCBO offers it - at a price - but I bit.

Glad I did. It has a definite absinthe-like taste, but the brown colour - and taste so to speak - is interesting. I haven't seen this in any absinthe or pastis I know. The liquor may be aged in wood for a time. Anyway, it's a smooth number, and finally I made a Sazerac Cocktail using the Herbsaint, straight rye and Peychaud bitters. Very good it is but I would advise to make sure you add enough bitters and sugar to balance the whiskey.

A classic and glad I caught up with it.

Gary

Is it the 100 proof Gary?

Made the same Sazerac using it with the rye and Peychaud's - that was the cocktail that got me started. There is a lower proof version (80 I think), but a bartender recommended the 100 proof as the one that was used when absinthe was removed from the market. Great stuff, and a cool retro label as well...

Good taste! I'm coveting my last bottle of the 100 proof, haven't seen it around for quite some time.

I've generally got a bottle of the 80 proof around, makes a great pre-dinner grilling beverage by itself with lots of crushed ice, and a bit of simple syrup.

Refreshing on those killer hot days.

B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.