Canadian ?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Canadian Club has a 100 proof version, we (in Canada) only see it in duty free outlets.

Gary

Are there any Canadian whiskeys @ 100 proof or more? Would like to try on.

Yes, but they are bottled by American NDPs (i.e. Whistlepig).

Canadian distilleries haven't seen the light and continue to water everything down to 80 proof (with a few exceptions at 86 and 90)

I do love my WP. Just doesn't make any sense for the Canadians to miss out on this growing market. No way they can't be aware of it

I do love my WP. Just doesn't make any sense for the Canadians to miss out on this growing market. No way they can't be aware of it

Of course he fails to explain that American distilleries are as big as Canadian distilleries yet find it profitable to somehow use their mega bottling halls to bottle special editions, single barrels, barrel strength, etc.

Could just be that they're configured differently. I still remember first trip through Woodford (not best example i realize...but follow along) and seeing a VERY manual process. If you're a mega factory set to do huge runs with automated equipment, changeovers wouldn't be your strength. Whereas if you're BT you design the system around that.

Just a guess from a manufacturing geek.

Being a manufacturing geek myself if you can't change your processes to accomodate changes in consumer demand you will eventually fade away. If all you are set for is eight track tapes or Beta players you're out of luck.

Being a manufacturing geek myself if you can't change your processes to accomodate changes in consumer demand you will eventually fade away. If all you are set for is eight track tapes or Beta players you're out of luck.

Agreed, except case volume is still rising even on the regular stuff up north. So a tough proposition to convince the owner to change.

We're not really talking competition with the USA products as much as we are a companion product in the marketplace. A lot of folks who'll never switch from CDN to USA and vise versa.

Agreed, except case volume is still rising even on the regular stuff up north. So a tough proposition to convince the owner to change.

My fellow Canadian distillers prefer to dump barrels into stainless steel tankers, sell to American NDP's at bulk prices, the American NDP's then bottle the stuff at high proof, without chill filtering, jack up the price, ship the bottles back to Canada and try to sell them to us for 2.5x the price the same juice would sell with the distiller's label. See Masterson's

It's sad to see potential profits disappearing out the Canadian economy, but perhaps worse of all is the lost opportunity for improving the overall image of Canadian whisky by not catering to the whisky nerds that are demanding: high proof/natural colour/no chill-filtering/single barrel/limited editions/etc.

Yes, the volume of (bland) Canadian whisky continues to grow, but for the most part it is all seen as bottom shelf stuff. There are hundreds of blogs talking up Scotch and American whisky. The number of blogs talking about Canadian whisky can be counted on one hand.

Edited by portwood

I made several trips up north this year for vacations and such and managed to bring back many good bottles of Canadian, all of which I wish could buy here. Many of the bottles I grabbed were due reviews in whisky advocate. Now that I've tried them I could never go back to crown royal or CC. C'mon Canada, give us the good stuff! :-P

Bottles:

Alberta Dark Horse

Forty Creek copper pot

Forty Creek confederate oak

Forty Creek port barrel

Pike Creek port barrel 10 ( now available in us but at lower age)

Lot 40 2012

I made several trips up north this year for vacations and such and managed to bring back many good bottles of Canadian, all of which I wish could buy here. Many of the bottles I grabbed were due reviews in whisky advocate. Now that I've tried them I could never go back to crown royal or CC. C'mon Canada, give us the good stuff! :-P

Bottles:

Alberta Dark Horse

Forty Creek copper pot

Forty Creek confederate oak

Forty Creek port barrel

Pike Creek port barrel 10 ( now available in us but at lower age)

Lot 40 2012

You can actually snag "some" of those in the USA, but in a few of those cases you're paying WAY more. Forty Creek pops up the most in KY. But your point is valid, not what i'd call wide distribution.

Stalk and Barrel releases some of their Malt whisky at cask strength, and some at 46%. http://stalkandbarrel.com/ . Also if you haven't read Davin de Kergommeaux's book - Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert - you should. It is very much worth reading. He's the reviewer for many of the Whisky Advocate's Canadian Whisky reviews. I confess to really, really enjoying the Pike Creek Double Barreled.

Stalk and Barrel releases some of their Malt whisky at cask strength, and some at 46%. http://stalkandbarrel.com/ . Also if you haven't read Davin de Kergommeaux's book - Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert - you should. It is very much worth reading. He's the reviewer for many of the Whisky Advocate's Canadian Whisky reviews. I confess to really, really enjoying the Pike Creek Double Barreled.

Cask 5 of this should be available soon stateside at a healthy 60.3%.

• 4 weeks later...
Cask 5 of this should be available soon stateside at a healthy 60.3%.

I saw a bottle of the 92 proof Stalk & Barrel available locally today but didn't know they also have a CS. Sounds like 4yo-ish single barrel single malt.

Is it worth giving a try? Pretty pricey at around $70!

Edited by tanstaafl2

I saw a bottle of the 92 proof Stalk & Barrel available locally today but didn't know they also have a CS. Sounds like 4yo-ish single barrel single malt.

Is it worth giving a try? Pretty pricey at around $70!

Details of cask #5: 3 years, 4 months

My advice, do NOT buy unless you try.

I have a bottle of cask #2 (also cask strength) and all I can say is .... it's YOUNG, and doesn't taste like any other malt whisky you've ever tasted. Would I buy another? not until the stuff ages considerably more.

OTOH, there are fans*, so, ymmv

*for a sampling of the fandom go to twitter and search #USATT. Yesterday a few people had a twitter tasting of 4 whiskies & the S&B was discussed first - so near the start of the string.

Edited by portwood

Yeah, I've heard good things actually, but am naturally skeptical to pay that price for something so young. Would damned near have to try it first.

Yeah, I've heard good things actually, but am naturally skeptical to pay that price for something so young. Would damned near have to try it first.

Just realized you quoted $70.

Another absurdity of Ontario liquor laws. If I want a bottle I have to drive to the distillery and pay $99.95 or have it delivered and pay $117 (including s&h). The distillery ships to the USA and it sells for 30% less - after all transportation costs. F***ING absurd.

Distributor for Stillwaters Stalk & Barrel claims the price in the USA will be $90.

Looks like that is the CS price. The one I saw locally was cask 3 which was bottled at 92 proof and so likely explains the lower price. CS results in around 200 or so bottles while the 92 proof tends to generate over 300 from the barrel.

For now I am resisting the urge to buy! Of course the mind is willing to resist but clearly the body is weak when it comes to these oddities...

post-8493-14489819911141_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.