What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nursing my 24 yr Willett 94 and 110 proof samples. Amazing ryes, tons of rye punch and so little wood for 24 yr ryes. My bottles can't get here soon enough!!

Nursing my 24 yr Willett 94 and 110 proof samples. Amazing ryes, tons of rye punch and so little wood for 24 yr ryes. My bottles can't get here soon enough!!

I had little pours from suspiciously similar samples yesterday. The 94 proof was the winner for me, but both were really great. Thanks to the generous SB.com member who sent these my way!

Hmm... I seem to have posted this in the "summer" thread already :drink:

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Trying to drink down this bottle of Templeton my cousin gave me. "It's from Iowa" he said. Meh. Tastes fine but still leaves a bad taste if you know what I mean.

Some Prichard's Rye....i cannot figure out if it's actually theirs or LDI. The website says they distill, the label very carefully does not. Hmm?

nyqypa8y.jpg

Tonight's pour, some interesting stuff tastes like a Japanese whiskey and a rye had a baby..

Interesting stuff. I've never seen that one before. Do you like it?

It is interesting, not so fantastic I am going to run out and buy 5 more bottles but also not terrible where it will linger in my bar for 5 yrs and not get finished. I also have difficulty with woody whiskeys and this falls into that category.

I was about 4 pours into a EWSB 2001 and honestly, it just had a strange flavor on the palate. Almost like cherry flavored cough medicine. Rather than continue to suffer through it, I am in the process of emptying low fill bottles and just so happened to have about 150ml left of an older WT 101 Rye that I decided to dump in. Wow, shockingly it worked! The cough syrup is gone and I am picking up caramel notes now?!?

Widow Jane rye. Just two years old and sampled at Maysville, a new excellent whiskey bar in Manhattan. After, James Pepper 15 years old, from MGPI and outstanding. Both quality examples of different ends of the age spectrum.

Gary

Gary how does the Pepper 15 compare to VWFRR and Saz18 or Michter's 10? I've passed thus far, but I'm sorely tempted. I've heard it is pretty good, but would love to hear more.

The Pepper was extremely good. The label claims it was selected to be like a prepro rye and I would agree. It has a rich honeysuckle, resinous taste. It is rather like early BMH rye or Michters 10. I know it costs but considering how little aged rye is in the market it is worth it.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Tonight, and last night for that matter, shared some Jefferson 10 Year Rye - Loch and Key selection from Julio's. Very tasty - spicy but rich. Enjoyed it while watching the Pats try to lose a game that they had in the bag.

My little brother is in town and apparently has developed a fondness for gracefully aged ryes so we decided to crack this tonight:

10015444076_7200e6c350_z.jpg

Rathskeller!

My little brother is in town and apparently has developed a fondness for gracefully aged ryes so we decided to crack this tonight:

10015444076_7200e6c350_z.jpg

Rathskeller!

Where....how...wait,what? You don't have five more in the bunker do you?:grin:

Lucky,lucky man. Hope it was delicious!

Rathskeller!

Well played sir!!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!