New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Davin de Kergommeaux has just reported in his newsletter that Masterson's has expanded its line with a straight barley and straight wheat release. No further details are given on the mash bill compositions, but you can see images of the new bottles on the Masterson's web site. These should be on the shelves now or very soon. I haven't seen any taste notes yet on the web, but maybe there are some.

A very interesting development and a chance to see what some of the non-rye flavoring whiskeys (or that type at any rate) are like.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Here are some taste notes, drawn I think from the Masterson's website:

http://thewineandcheeseplace.blogspot.ca/2013/09/new-mastersons-wheat-and-barley-whiskey.html

The barley one sounds somewhat similar (as one would expect if the barley is used unmalted) to an Irish whiskey single pot still. All very interesting.

Gary

So who could have distilled the wheat whiskey other than Heaven Hill. And the barley? Unfortunately their website also states "Masterson's comes out of the barrel at 125 proof" (which ones-all of them :skep: ) and that "our dry yeast helps give Masterson's its unique taste profile" :bigeyes:. But, I did still help them sell a couple bottles of their rye one afternoon, when I just happened to be hanging out in a Binny's whiskey aisle (a reoccurring habit :grin:) and chatting with some curious rye folk, as it is good whiskey.

So who could have distilled the wheat whiskey other than Heaven Hill. And the barley? Unfortunately their website also states "Masterson's comes out of the barrel at 125 proof" (which ones-all of them :skep: ) and that "our dry yeast helps give Masterson's its unique taste profile" :bigeyes:. But, I did still help them sell a couple bottles of their rye one afternoon, when I just happened to be hanging out in a Binny's whiskey aisle (a reoccurring habit :grin:) and chatting with some curious rye folk, as it is good whiskey.

As with the Masterson's Rye, these are Canadian Whiskies. The COLAs are below.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=13063001000140

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=13063001000137

So given this is NDP, does that mean one of the big guys started distilling this 10+ years ago, couldn't find an internal use for and we'll likely see others coming soon? (Jeffersons, WP, etc.)

The Canadians have been making flavoring whiskys for a long, long time so who knows what aged products might show up on the shelves.

And the government shut down just got personal. I can't see those labels.

Despite that, I'm intrigued. I really appreciate that someone has decided to sell what would otherwise be a flavoring whiskey for unadulterated bottling. I definitely want to try both of them. I enjoy having a well rounded selection of straight whiskies on the shelf so that I can share them with folks who are new to whiskey, and trying to figure out what flavors they do and don't enjoy. That straight barley might be a very nice addition to that set.

And the government shut down just got personal. I can't see those labels.

Despite that, I'm intrigued. I really appreciate that someone has decided to sell what would otherwise be a flavoring whiskey for unadulterated bottling. I definitely want to try both of them. I enjoy having a well rounded selection of straight whiskies on the shelf so that I can share them with folks who are new to whiskey, and trying to figure out what flavors they do and don't enjoy. That straight barley might be a very nice addition to that set.

The rye is good whisky but no way I'm paying the price being asked by the local liquor monopoly - I might pay $70 but certainly NOT $110.

I suspect the other two - assuming they become available here - will be price even higher. Plenty of better whisky available for less

I think they are closer to $70 here locally although I haven't priced one in a while. Given its seeming similarity to WhistlePig I never felt the need to pick this one up too.

I am officially a liquor whore!

Intrigued as well but something I likely have to try before I buy unless they prove to be a lot less pricey than I expect them to be based on the cost of the Masterson's Rye. Have tried the rye but never gotten around to buying one.

I saw these bottles of the new Masterson's barley and wheat whiskey and could not resisit buying them despite what I said in the earlier post. In my defense they are purdy bottles. Robert Parker would love it!

post-8493-14489819805568_thumb.jpg

Not a great picture from the front seat of my truck but you can see depite being 2 years older and 100 proof versus 92 proof for the barley that the wheat whiskey is not surprisingly much lighter in color. As a "straight" whiskey I presume it is aged in new oak casks but perhaps coming from Canada allows them to play fast and loose with the terminology.

I popped them both open in the store for a little taste with the staff. The wheat is extrordinarily light. You might almost think it is was a barrel aged vodka! Some vanilla and light tanin/oak flavor but not just a ton of flavor for a 12yo whiskey. Perhaps just a touch sweet but I didn't feel like i could call it a chocolatety finish and it was at most a moderate finish. Did have a bit of oily heft to the mouthfeel.

The barley (I presume it is unmalted barley as it doesn't mention malt on the bottle or the website) on the other hand was much more interesting. Despite less age and less proof it had a very nice mouthfeel and moderate oaky/leather taste that was not at all overdone. Agian a touch sweet with a much better finish that ended with a bit of fruit or nuttiness.

Always fun to experiment but the barley is the pick here for me. The wheat may well finish its days as a mixing whiskey. I suppose I should try it up against Bernheim wheat first.

And perhaps the goat would like a wee nip?

Very interesting, thanks for this. It would be interesting to compare the wheat to the Bernheim Wheat, indeed.

Did the barley one strike you as similar to any Irish whiskey you have had?

Gary

Very interesting, thanks for this. It would be interesting to compare the wheat to the Bernheim Wheat, indeed.

Did the barley one strike you as similar to any Irish whiskey you have had?

Gary

Great information Bruce. You have earned your title as liquor whore and can take a seat in the parlor next to TomH the sherry slut. :grin:

What Thad said, well done Bruce.

Would like to see your side-by-side of the two respectively with Bernheim Wheat and Green Spot.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

I got a chance to taste these this week. I like the Masterson's Rye - I did not like either the Wheat or the Barley which surprised me. I found the Wheat to have a rubbing alcohol smell and the Barley wasn't interesting at all - kind of weak and boring. Maybe the bottles were off but they were brand new. This is one of those situations where a few dollars spent on a flight in a bar more than paid for itself in the savings realized by not buying a bottle.

• 2 weeks later...
I got a chance to taste these this week. I like the Masterson's Rye - I did not like either the Wheat or the Barley which surprised me. I found the Wheat to have a rubbing alcohol smell and the Barley wasn't interesting at all - kind of weak and boring. Maybe the bottles were off but they were brand new. This is one of those situations where a few dollars spent on a flight in a bar more than paid for itself in the savings realized by not buying a bottle.

I liked the Barley well enough. But I did compare it H2H with Green Spot and there really didn't seem to be that much in common side by side. The Green Spot was better, as was the Powers John's Lane Signature Release, but the Barley was decent. Would be even better at about half the cost though.

Then again, wouldn't everything!

• 4 months later...

The local mega store just dropped the price on the Barley to $30 so I decided to try a bottle since some said it might be worth it at a lower price point.

The local mega store just dropped the price on the Barley to $30 so I decided to try a bottle since some said it might be worth it at a lower price point.

I would have liked it much better at $30! Neither seem to sell that well here but the Barley to me is superior to the Wheat. I had intended to play with them as a components of a blend including the Rye as well but never quite got around to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.