Foreign Whisky of the Month POLL - October

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Which Foreign Whisky do you choose for the month of October?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which Foreign Whisky do you choose for the month of October?

• Caol ILa
    • Cragganmore
    • Clynelish

Wow this summer flew by and here in the PacNW we are already having extreme late fall/early winter weather. On that note I picked at least one Single Malt I reach for often when it comes to stormy winter weather and chose all from a different region but starting with the same letter "C"; anyone guess why I chose C?. So the choices for this month are: Caol Ila, Clynelish, Cragganmore.

I shouldn't answer this one...

Having no access to any of these, I vote for whichever Johnny wants to enable me to drink...

I shouldn't answer this one...

Johnny, are you scared, come on now we need everyone's opinion?

Having no access to any of these, I vote for whichever Johnny wants to enable me to drink...

Jim, are you telling me you can't get any of these local to you?

Jim, are you telling me you can't get any of these local to you?

Unfortunately that's what I'm telling you. The lovely Utah DABC doesn't list any of these. I've had some Caol Ila 12, which I really liked, but never had the chance to really get to know it.

That criminal. It's not like those are exactly obscure choices. Yet another reason not to live in Utah- although to be fair there are plenty of reasons to live there as well.

Tough choice between Caol Ila and Clynelish but I have to go with the latter. There are a few distillery bottlings of CI and afaik only the 14yo from Clynelish - both are widely available from independent bottlers.

IMO Cragganmore is a DISTANT third - for me it wouldn't crack a list of the top 20 distilleries.

IMO Cragganmore is a DISTANT third - for me it wouldn't crack a list of the top 20 distilleries.

I would agree with you on this and have wondered why Diageo chose it to represent Speyside in their Classic Malts series. Cragganmore just doesn't feel representative of what I want out of a good Speysider. To be fair, I have not tried the official 21 or 29 (the 29 seems to get decent reviews), but having been unimpressed with the standard stuff, would not spend the money required and would buy a GlenDronach instead.

Edited by LostBottle

I actually have no Caol Ila in my bar nor bunker but it has been a long time since I've visited with this expression.

I enjoy the new Clynelish but if anybody has old Clynelish to share (you know who you are), then I'd love to try some of that too :-)

If we go Clynelish, are we talking about the whole ball of wax like LB alluded to? If so, I may have to source an old Brora bottle this month ;-)

I would say whatever the choice, anything that came out of said distillery with that name on it. Old, new doesn't matter.

Also, I chose Cragganmore because, I am totally still a newbie myself to SMS, it is one I have never had. Actually never had Clynelish either, love Caol Ila personally, always have at least one (typically a CS version) open at all times, and they all start with C for Crappy weather we are having.

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

I don't know much about any of them, but I'll say Clynelish right now because it's the brand that intrigues me the most currently.

My first round of scotch bottles that eventually led to my current 'can't get enough' feeling towards malt included a bottle of unpeated 12yo CI at CS. This first batch of 6 or so bottles were open a year and a half easy before I finally drained them, which is an inordinate amount of time for me these days (with around 35 bottles open at any one time).

Clynelish 14yo, however, pre-dates these as the bottle of scotch I would buy every once in a while while still finding my footing with bourbon. This was back when I'd buy a bottle and drink it before buying another bottle. My how things have changed...

Anyway, I think Clynelish is a great bottle of malt for a bourbon drinker. CI is some serious stuff. Cragganmore... I know nothing about it.

These are three very distinct malts - standard Clynelish is a 14 yr old Highland, CI is a 12 yr old Islay, and Cragganmore is a 12 year old Speysider - the only thing they have in common is their first letter.

Since we're kind of on the subject of Clynelish, has anyone tried the new 16yo Rattray K&L cask? Is it worth buying? I need to ensure I'm well prepared in case Clynelish gets the nod this month.

Since we're kind of on the subject of Clynelish, has anyone tried the new 16yo Rattray K&L cask? Is it worth buying? I need to ensure I'm well prepared in case Clynelish gets the nod this month.

I am a little late closing this one out and when I check yesterday Clynelish was actually ahead, so because of that we'll give it to Clynelish. And maybe make next month Caol Ila.

Interesting, I happened to have picked up a 375 of an AD Rattray Cylnelish 17 year from a CA store a week or so ago. If thats what you guys are going with it looks like I'm in luck! Sadly I don't have, nor have I ever tasted, any Caol Ila except what they blend into JW Green label.

Edited by MtnDew

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.