Which whiskey to get in Ireland?

clindt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife is going to Ireland for 10 days and I'd like her to bring me home some Irish whiskey. What would you recommend that can't be purchased in the US?

Second on the Yellow Spot. Also if she can find it Green Spot is supposed to be quite good as well. Also any distillery only bottlings are worth her seeking out from the gift shop.

Powers John Lane is also awesome. It is supposedly available in the US but I've never seen it here. Both PJL and Yellow Spot were available in Shannon Duty Free last time I was there.

Powers John Lane is also awesome. It is supposedly available in the US but I've never seen it here. Both PJL and Yellow Spot were available in Shannon Duty Free last time I was there.

Thats odd, this is one of the few "special" whiskeys we seem to have available here, our local total wine has carried it since they opened last year. The spots though, those would be nice to have here.

For the OP my uncle brought me back a distillery edition 12 year from Jameson that has my name on the label. I have not opened it yet but when I do I'm going to compare it to their regular 12 year to see if I can taste a difference. It claims to be something different but we will see. Also, to echo others, do not get something there that you can get here, the prices are worse. Case in point that same uncle also brought me back a 700mL bottle of Jameson 18 year for a 100 euros, or something like $130 after exchange. I've seen that bottle for sale for less than $100 here and you get that extra 50mL.

Thats odd, this is one of the few "special" whiskeys we seem to have available here, our local total wine has carried it since they opened last year.

PJL has been available here since around the beginning of this year. Green Spot rumored to be here in early 2014 with label approval done. No signs of Yellow Spot coming soon. In addition to label approval bottles have to be changed form 700 ml to 750 ml.

Looks like it comes in some awfully fancy "packaging" too :lol:. Not an obscene price ($200?) for a 21 year and it sure would be fun to taste with its Sauternes cask finish.

Pricey to be sure but about $165 without VAT which isn't awful and that Sauternes finish really has piqued my interest if I could only get a bottle. Supposedly also available at the airport duty free.

Green and Yellow spot, and Crested 10. I would look any Single/Pure Pot Still Whiskey you can't get in the States. Redbreast and Powers John Lane are available here but might be had for a better price in Ireland.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will pass them along to her.

Im also hoping she'll pick me up a new pipe. :cool:

Green and Yellow spot, and Crested 10. I would look any Single/Pure Pot Still Whiskey you can't get in the States. Redbreast and Powers John Lane are available here but might be had for a better price in Ireland.

i am a big fan of the killbeggan 18 about a month ago it was on sale at the dublin airport duty free.

• 2 months later...

Just to update, she brought me back a bottle of Green Spot(tasty) and sampler of Greenore, Connemara, Tyrconnell and Kilbeggan. I really dig the Connemara whiskey too with its slight peat flavor.

She also picked me up a new Peterson 314 from Peterson's in Dublin along with some Irsih Flake, University Flake and De Luxe.

The best thing she returned with is a new found love of whiskey.

I've got the greatest wife in the world. :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.