What is Good Bourbon?

jimbo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What does it mean when someone says this is great bourbon? I don't know, but here are some thoughts. There could be three styles of bourbon that bracket the world of bourbon. First, "I like my bourbon smooth and mellow". Second, "I like my bourbon to kick ass". Third, "I like my bourbon to have lots of flavor".

My very limited experience with bourbon would give the following examples of the three styles. Smooth and Mellow, Maker's Mark. Kick Ass, Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Lots of Flavor, Elijah Craig 12 yr.

I would very much appreciate comments.

Regards, jimbo

Lots of Flavor, Elijah Craig 12 yr.

Regards, jimbo

Agreed! I still find new flavors from time to time and this is my standard pour.

I think it is a matter of personal preference. Some look at price as well. Makers is a fine smooth Bourbon. I like it and drink it often when I am out as it is easy to find. Some say the price is too high. I think OF is as smooth and cost less. WTRB I guess you could say it was kick ass I would say Knob Creek, Bookers, and Old Grand Dad 114 are my KA Bourbons and Old Ezra 107 to a lesser degree. Of those OGD 114 is my favorite.

First, "I like my bourbon smooth and mellow". Second, "I like my bourbon to kick ass". Third, "I like my bourbon to have lots of flavor".

Jimbo, there's one bourbon that meets all three of your criteria here, George T Stagg.

The Bourbon experience becomes in some ways like religion a little bit. Some Sit in the back and Yell Halleluejah, I found the answer, Others dig in a little deeper and study the issue much more , and change their minds a lot on the way.

We all have run the gamit here , there's the high end stuff, the high proof stuff, The long aged bourbons we have a taste for now and again. Some look at it like their favorite is what they are drinking now, whatever the case. The best bang for your buck is another quest we are on.

Fun isn't it? lol.gif

First, "I like my bourbon smooth and mellow". Second, "I like my bourbon to kick ass". Third, "I like my bourbon to have lots of flavor".

Yes, yes, and yes. However, I'd pick different stereotypical bourbons for those three: Smooth & mellow = Blanton's. Kick ass = Booker's. Lots of flavor = A.H. Hirsch 16yo.

We bourbon lovers want it all. According to the Stagg non-virgins, George T. Stagg hits all bases...just ask Bobby about that! lol.gif

The Bourbon experience becomes in some ways like religion a little bit. Some Sit in the back and Yell Halleluejah, I found the answer, Others dig in a little deeper and study the issue much more , and change their minds a lot on the way.

Somebody doubts the all omnipotence of Stagg?!?!?

(. . . . I wonder who that could be. . . .)

Tom (Blasphemy!!) C

Jimbo, there's one bourbon that meets all three of your criteria here, George T Stagg.

Jimbo, I've got to agree with Bobby...if there's one Bourbon that meets all three criteria, George T Stagg is it! toast.gif

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.