"Hand Picked Barrel"

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can someone please explain or direct me to the explanation of the "Hand Picked Barrel" phenomena that merchants enjoy with distilleries? Is a hand picked barrel special? It seems like a gimmick to show that a store/merchant/buyer/manager has a unique relationship with a bourbon company.

Am I paying more for a single barrel product that was hand picked (i.e. does an ETL that was picked by a big box liquor store mean anything)? Are they benefiting from having hard to find stuff, selecting the barrel, and then bumping the price because of it?

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please explain or direct me to the explanation of the "Hand Picked Barrel" phenomena that merchants enjoy with distilleries? Is a hand picked barrel special? It seems like a gimmick to show that a store/merchant/buyer/manager has a unique relationship with a bourbon company.

Am I paying more for a single barrel product that was hand picked (i.e. does an ETL that was picked by a big box liquor store mean anything)? Are they benefiting from having hard to find stuff, selecting the barrel, and then bumping the price because of it?

Thanks in advance.

The barrel is only as good as the palate that picks it. Anyone can pick a barrel but that doesn't mean that it's any good. The retailer doesn't necessarily get a honey barrel...they just have a group of barrels to choose from.

Edited by jcg9779

I'll put it this way, some retailers actually go to the distillery and pick out a barrel, some have several samples sent to them and then select one they like, some just have the distillery pick something out for them and put a sticker on it saying it's there's. I'd approach your retailers and find out what direction they went. Sample their picks and see if your tastes align with theirs. If they do, you might find them to be a unique selection. Overall though, most places I see that do sell their "barrel selections" sell them at a lower cost than the off the shelf bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

For example, a Blanton's can be found for $47, but at the hand picked barrel place it's $55. It does not seem fair especially in cases where the bourbon is harder to find. Just thinking out loud.

For example, a Blanton's can be found for $47, but at the hand picked barrel place it's $55. It does not seem fair especially in cases where the bourbon is harder to find. Just thinking out loud.

Most barrel pics are closer to the same price as the regular. The store doesn't pay a premium for private picks as a general rule

Part of the equation is that the distillery and selectors often have long term relationships, where they have an opportunity to select from some of the better barrels, before the product is mass produced for the standard shelf bottles. Its not perfect, but you play baseball and can hit .300...your in the hall of fame.

In my experience, most barrel selections that I see in my area are priced in line with standard bottling and contain a discernibly better product.

prices here in KY seem to be the same for regualr and store pick stuff.

i think a lot of places are not truly 'selecting' a barrel, but just ordering a batch with the 'store pick' label printed for it. anytime I walk into the kroger liquor store here and see the KCSB "kroger selected barrel", I cant believe anyone from Kroger is going to bardstowns JB plant and selecting a barrel to sell in the Kroger grocery store. Having the sticker on there just makes it look more appealing, I presume. regardless, kroger usually sells it a few bucks cheaper than most other stores' shelf price

prices here in KY seem to be the same for regualr and store pick stuff.

i think a lot of places are not truly 'selecting' a barrel, but just ordering a batch with the 'store pick' label printed for it. anytime I walk into the kroger liquor store here and see the KCSB "kroger selected barrel", I cant believe anyone from Kroger is going to bardstowns JB plant and selecting a barrel to sell in the Kroger grocery store. Having the sticker on there just makes it look more appealing, I presume. regardless, kroger usually sells it a few bucks cheaper than most other stores' shelf price

As far as price I recently helped an Atlanta retailer pick a FR 1B, and they are selling bottles for $29.99, which I think is $5-$10 less than national average.

From what I've seen barrel picks run the same or less than OTS picks.

I grew up in Louisville and I'm heading there tomorrow for a wedding. I'll just have to get bourbon from KY. The tax on liquor in Chicago / IL is crazy. I have not done a much price comparing, but it seems like everyone here pays less than the Windy City.

Thank to all! Again, I appreciate the knowledge. I'm glad some retailers are picking barrels out etc.

These are the Chicago prices before taxes: So add a few bucks to everything.

Angel’s Envy, $45

Bulleit 10yo, $43

Four Roses Single Barrel, $37

Maker’s 46, $37

Elijah Craig 12yo, $30

Elmer T. Lee, $30

Bulleit, $30

Eagle Rare 10yo Single Barrel, $27

Evan Williams 10yo Single Barrel, $27

Makr’s Mark, $27

W. L. Weller 12yo, $25

Buffalo Trace, $25

OGD 114, $25

Edited by Guy Debord

I grew up in Louisville and I'm heading there tomorrow for a wedding. I'll just have to get bourbon from KY. The tax on liquor in Chicago / IL is crazy. I have not done a much price comparing, but it seems like everyone here pays less than the Windy City.

Thank to all! Again, I appreciate the knowledge. I'm glad some retailers are picking barrels out etc.

Angel’s Envy, $45

Bulleit 10yo, $43

Maker’s 46, $37

Elijah Craig 12yo, $30

Elmer T. Lee, $30

Bulleit, $30

Makr’s Mark, $27

W. L. Weller 12yo, $25

Buffalo Trace, $25

OGD 114, $25

Those generally match the prices out here at a place like BevMo. Sometimes cheaper if they're on sale in any given week but that's the regular pricing on most of them, or what I'd expect from a 'regular' liquor store.

There happens to be a member of SB.com who was involved in selecting a barrel of KC120 for Kroger.

really? maybe i'll pick one up then. guess i shouldnt just assume, huh?

You should not assume. I've sat in with retailers choosing from various barrel samples that were sent to them. The final results are only as good as those choosing the barrel. A certain Milwaukee liquor store chain does this on a regular basis, I've tasted their choices in the past, and won't buy them again. On the other hand, whenever Sendik's(Milwaukee grocery chain) does a selection, I'll buy it without pause, as their Bourbon buyer has a great palate for Whiskey.

really? maybe i'll pick one up then. guess i shouldnt just assume, huh?

Also common for samples to be sent to the group doing the picks versus an actual visit to the distillery. Who has a program, what can be barrel picked and by whom are quite variable.

Guy, There are hand picked barrels that are single barrel versions of regular brands. These are the same age and proof as the regular version. Usually these are the same price, or a buck or two cheaper because the store bought a whole barrel at once. I grab these, if it's something I already like (:bowdown:single barrel OWA). On the other hand, we have stuff like four Roses single barrel selections where a retailer could select any of 10 recipes at different ages and proofs.

Angel’s Envy, $45

Bulleit 10yo, $43

Maker’s 46, $37

Elijah Craig 12yo, $30

Elmer T. Lee, $30

Bulleit, $30

Makr’s Mark, $27

W. L. Weller 12yo, $25

Buffalo Trace, $25

OGD 114, $25

Within a few bucks of prices in KY. KY has a 6% sales tax and many cities are able to enact there own tax on alcohol, sometimes up to 8% on top of the 6% states sales tax.

Within a few bucks of prices in KY. KY has a 6% sales tax and many cities are able to enact there own tax on alcohol, sometimes up to 8% on top of the 6% states sales tax.

i bet the cities/towns surrounding those areas have a high number of stores located pretty close to the city/towm/county line to take advantage of people crossing the line to buy cheaper. if jefferson county had a 14% effective sales tax rate, but oldham/bullit/etc had the regular 6% tax, i would only buy last minute stuff in jefferson co.

i bet the cities/towns surrounding those areas have a high number of stores located pretty close to the city/towm/county line to take advantage of people crossing the line to buy cheaper. if jefferson county had a 14% effective sales tax rate, but oldham/bullit/etc had the regular 6% tax, i would only buy last minute stuff in jefferson co.

Most are b/w 4 and 6%. I believe only Murray has an 8% tax.

You say that now but after about 6 months people quit noticing the tax. These are mostly in newly wet areas with quite a distance to the nearest non tax place. People pay for convenience.

And the big towns want to get that tax too. If they ever address the antiquated class of cities in Frankfort, you can bet the big boys will get those taxes worked in too.

What hasn't been said is that from the distributor/producer point of view, it's a sale of a barrel's-worth of whiskey to a store or bar that perhaps, ordinarily, wouldn't buy that much of that particular brand. It also gives the retailer an incentive to promote it, maybe at a better price, certainly with a display, maybe with ad support. The dealer is more invested so they're more likely to suggest that bottle to their customers.

The samples presented are always selections that would be appropriate for that brand. In fact, the barrels that aren't selected for a retailer single barrel probably go into the next general bottling, so it's still Weller Special Reserve (or whatever) but it's that buyer's selection from a number of possibilities, typically three to five. If the buyer goes to Kentucky they may get to taste more, if they want to.

Most producers allow individuals to do this too. You wind up actually buying your barrel in bottles from a local retailer, to comply with all the laws. Many individuals and groups here on sb.com have done it.

Woodford Reserve does it a little differently. Since Woodford batches always include whiskey from both Woodford and Shively, you have to pick two barrels from the samples offered, which they mix together. You only have to buy the equivalent of one barrel, though you can buy the whole lot if you want to.

What hasn't been said is that from the distributor/producer point of view, it's a sale of a barrel's-worth of whiskey to a store or bar that perhaps, ordinarily, wouldn't buy that much of that particular brand. It also gives the retailer an incentive to promote it, maybe at a better price, certainly with a display, maybe with ad support. The dealer is more invested so they're more likely to suggest that bottle to their customers.

The samples presented are always selections that would be appropriate for that brand. In fact, the barrels that aren't selected for a retailer single barrel probably go into the next general bottling, so it's still Weller Special Reserve (or whatever) but it's that buyer's selection from a number of possibilities, typically three to five. If the buyer goes to Kentucky they may get to taste more, if they want to.

Most producers allow individuals to do this too. You wind up actually buying your barrel in bottles from a local retailer, to comply with all the laws. Many individuals and groups here on sb.com have done it.

Woodford Reserve does it a little differently. Since Woodford batches always include whiskey from both Woodford and Shively, you have to pick two barrels from the samples offered, which they mix together. You only have to buy the equivalent of one barrel, though you can buy the whole lot if you want to.

For retailers, BF is only offering Old Forester and double Oaked. Regular woodford blends are not part of the program now.

Individuals can still do woodford however.

It's interesting to hear about the process (it'd be much more interesting to participate in it, of course). I wonder if the various makers have policies as to how many 'rejections' a barrel may go through before it's withdrawn from the private selection process.

I don't think that barrels that meet the profile sit around very long when passed by in barrel selections, especially with age stated lines. With bourbon popularity booming, if it is old enough and it fits the profile, it is hitting a bottle one way or another.

Yep.

The samples were barrel proof so I cut them each with some water. I chose the one I thought was best from what they gave me to try. I still have the fact sheet they gave me about the barrel I chose. It was a fun experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.