JVW and Alton Brown interview

T Comp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since he doesn't get around to posting much here anymore :grin: here's another JVW interview. Not much new but if you like Alton and his humor it's a fun listen. Some nuggets: Alton question to Julian implying how he doesn't actually distill "you're really a judge", Julian expects eventual production of 15,000 to 20,000 cases and Julian on "these bourbon nerds out there, I'm sure you've seen these web sites...amazed how sophisticated palates are". Interview starts at 17:00 mark. Oh, Julian's preferred Old Fashioned method in there too. Alton and somebody else rate 5 whiskies at end without Julian.

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/10/the-alton-browncast-15-julian-van-winkle/

Thx for posting the info Thad. Although not an Alton Brown fan, I do like to hear what JVW has to say, particularly when it's current.

Thanks for posting this Thad! Listening now. Being a local (Marietta, GA), we need to invite Alton to join the GBS (although he gets no free pass from the goat).

I'm a little disappointed that they dissed screw caps during the tasting. I expected more from Alton Brown. Oh well ...

And the fact they thought that Hudson Bay Baby Bourbon tasted like scotch . . . I thought was an insult to scotch. IMHO, it tastes like young, blah blended whiskey. Completely unimpressed, yet they picked that over EC20. But then again, they thought 107 proof was really hot, so different strokes . . .

Thought it was interesting he spoke out against a brand growing too much...losing it's quality, but later in the interview admitted that BT's tasting panel tackles the job when either he or Preston aren't available. Seems like if you have a tight enough process you could make more and still filter out the bad.

BT seems to crank out some pretty fine products in their own right these days (BTAC) so doubt he was slamming them as opposed to other distilleries.

I think he knows that if supplies increased too much, it would kill the "exclusivity" of it - and some of the hype. I don't knock him for that in the least - he understands his market niche, and that he can increase volume to some degree without disrupting the balance. Plus trying to forecast 20 yrs out - ramping up too much might be a big risk (as who knows what the trends will lead to by then!)

Huh? I don't think he has a choice about expanding supplies to meet demand. He simply can't do it. Remember, he's skimming the top of a supply chain owned by another entity. The only possible rectification is to increase price until demand is met.

Edited by MauiSon

Huh? I don't think he has a choice about expanding supplies to meet demand. He simply can't do it. Remember, he's skimming the top of a supply chain owned by another entity. The only possible rectification is to increase price until demand is met.

I think BT and Julian have a joint venture on PVW. It's a team strategy.

I think BT and Julian have a joint venture on PVW. It's a team strategy.

What you mean to say is that BT is making the decisions on any future expansion of Van Winkle 'production'.

Edited by MauiSon

I think if Julian WANTED them to increase production and his allotment, they would do it - but since it would take 20-23 years for it to mature, why risk it? Even if BT has more aged stuff that they would sell him, if I were him - I wouldn't want to increase production a whole heck of a lot. Because when something else becomes the "must have bourbon", you're left with a huge inventory. The boom/bust cycle happens in most industries, and with the lead time involved in bourbon, that can be scary (although great for us if 10 years from now demand slows and they've got loads of stock that won't move - glut part deux!)

20 to 23 years? That's just silly. If Van Winkle products were completely unique that would be true. However, BT has loads of Weller 12 stock coming of age on a regular basis and it's the same stock from which Van Winkle is selected. All BT need do is say, "choose all you want", and production would be increased immediately. For the 15yo and 20yo, 3 and 5 year lags might apply. Van Winkle product is special because it's skimmed from top of a huge supply of Weller product - no one can currently make every barrel taste that good.

Edited by MauiSon

20 to 23 years? That's just silly. If Van Winkle products were completely unique that would be true. However, BT has loads of Weller 12 stock coming of age on a regular basis and it's the same stock from which Van Winkle is selected. All BT need do is say, "choose all you want", and production would be increased immediately. For the 15yo and 20yo, 3 and 5 year lags might apply. Van Winkle product is special because it's skimmed from top of a huge supply of Weller product - no one can currently make every barrel taste that good.

I was told by a local store manager who moved here from Ky that he knows some people at BT and that the stuff that goes into the van winkle line are done completely by a different set of folks, with different set of ingredients, and done in a separate part of the facility. He repeatedly said it's not the same BT stuff.

I honestly don't know whether to believe what he said. I guess I just don't have enough knowledge about how distilleries like BT work.

Van Winkle is made on the secret Van Winkle still that they don't show you on the hard hat tour....

If I were you, I'd probably stop listening to anything that store manager says.

Van Winkle is made on the secret Van Winkle still that they don't show you on the hard hat tour....

Is it made by that wizard guy they have on the ORVW label? I'd pay for that tour.

I honestly don't know whether to believe what he said. I guess I just don't have enough knowledge about how distilleries like BT work.

H some 30 odd years back a local store owner told me Sam Sykes (then a Medley brand) was made by the same people who made Jack Daniels. Of course all he had to go by was a square bottle and similar label but there are always folks who want to pretend they know something the rest of us don't.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.