Had some Great Cheap Manhattans last weekend, nothing wrong with this

Tony
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good Day All-

I trust you are great.

Just wanted to see who else enjoys some Cheap mixed drinks at home? I usually find myself when home starting off with a nice bourbon in a Glencairn glass, when that gets low I will mix it with some cheaper stuff, when that is gone I just drink some cheap stuff straight. But last weekend my friend came over with a family size Jim Beam and a bottle of cheap vermouth and some Maraschino cherries. We made ourselves some Manhattans and they were very, very tasty. I thought to myself I know that some of the lower costs bourbons are not bad and in a mixed drink they work great as well. I know that some think that mixed drinks are better with better quality liquor and I cannot disagree with this but sometimes it is just fun to hang out with friends watching football drinking cheap drinks made by just pouring in the glass not worrying about perfect ratios.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Best regards, Tony

Never was much for mixed drinks, but I was a Jack on the rocks guy for a long time before I started working my way up the bourbon ladder. Now I have a lot of different bottles, everything from value pours to fairly expensive stuff, usually drink it neat or with just a splash of water, etc. But every once in a while I return to the basic ol' Jack on the rocks. Throw some cubes in a tumbler, fill up the glass. Nothing wrong with that. The basic idea is to enjoy yourself.

Nothing wrong with Beam White/ M&R Vermouth with Angostura bitters. This is the combo that I first enjoyed for Manhattans. Now my favorite is a slight upgrade: Beam Black instead of White. The Black in a family size bottle is still pretty economical and it makes for a great drink. I agree there's no need to go any more upscale than that for a great Manhattan. JB Yellow label Rye is a good cheap one too in a Manhattan. You might want to try that for a change of pace if you haven't already.

I totally agree, Tony! ...And M.Monk, the A. bitters do finish a Manhattan just right. The M. Cherries are less important, though it does lend a bit of fruit sweetness, and probably some 'class to the glass'.

Personally, I like EW Black for a Manhattan, but almost anything worx if the vermouth is decent, and bitters are in there.

I agree and while we all seek the perfect cocktail, it is surprising how basic whiskey and basic vermouth work well so often. This is one of the reasons the Manhattan has survived so long, it is very adaptable.

In an odd way, a strong taste (even chemical-like) makes a Manhattan taste better. It must have to do with how it interacts with the wine and brandy in the vermouth.

Many people may not realize that vermouth is part brandy, it may be young rough spirit but it is grape-derived brandy all the same.

Gary

Ive been experimenting with manhattans alot lately. I've found that 2oz of Rittenhouse, 3/4oz of Martini vermouth, 1/4oz of Benedictine, two dashes of bitters, stirred, strained into a chilled glass, add one ice cube and a cherry.

I also love Old Crow Reserve every way imaginable.

Ive been experimenting with manhattans alot lately. I've found that 2oz of Rittenhouse, 3/4oz of Martini vermouth, 1/4oz of Benedictine, two dashes of bitters, stirred, strained into a chilled glass, add one ice cube and a cherry.

I also love Old Crow Reserve every way imaginable.

Gonna have to try adding the Benedictine. That's a new one for me. Love both the RITTBIB and GDR in Manhattans.

All these variations sound great. I like an orange hint. You can do it by adding orange bitters; by adding Grand Marnier (the higher quality ones the better) or Curacao/Cointreau.

Gary

Saltgrass Steakhouse offers a Woodford Reserve maple Manhattan that is really nice. I have started ordering one whenever I go in to have my weekly prime rib. And I'm not a cocktails guy. I ordered one, and was hooked.

• 2 weeks later...

or add Cherry Marnier to the Bourbon/Vermouth. I use 3 parts Bourbon, 1 part Vermouth and 1 part Cherry Marnier and some Ango bitters

or add Cherry Marnier to the Bourbon/Vermouth. I use 3 parts Bourbon, 1 part Vermouth and 1 part Cherry Marnier and some Ango bitters

I like this idea of the Cherry Marnier, going to give that a try.

Best regards, Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.