Foreign Whisky of the Month - 11/2013: Caol Ila

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ah. It seems that I've been wrong on that one for even longer...I'm a dolt...good grief...

Thanks again. Amazin', the things I learn on SB!! :toast:

Dolt? Hardly... But in general, I've learned so much from SB in the short time I've been hanging out here - I learn something new just about everyday it seems.

Also, thanks to the SBr's who were generous in sharing knowledge & samples that helped me gain a better understanding of FWOTM's, BOTM's (and other whiskies) to inform my palate of what it is I like/dislike in my glass.

That clearly isn't correct! You need to use an SSL* program!

*Southern as a second language...

You say SSL and I think Secure Sockets Layer... LMAO!

I grew up in New Orleans - not really the "South" but close enough

In case you were wondering how to pronounce "Caol Ila"

That whole series is brilliant. It's a pity we don't have anything like it for American whiskey, though pity is a strong word, and I consider it more of an opportunity...

That whole series is brilliant. It's a pity we don't have anything like it for American whiskey, though pity is a strong word, and I consider it more of an opportunity...

I'll bring a lighting kit to Bardstown in April and we can film you pronouncing everything you want.

I'll bring a lighting kit to Bardstown in April and we can film you pronouncing everything you want.

Way ahead of ya Josh... If I do make it to Bardstown in April and you bring your kit, I bet we could brainstorm a good deal of stuff to put on film!

I had a nice pour of the sauternes finished CI I mentioned earlier in the thread last night, and man did I enjoy it. I have a CS 1B 7yo that I have yet to open, perhaps I'll have to do so this week. A lot of malts are quite oily at CS and UCF (ok so this goes for whiskey in general), and CI is no exception; this one is brimming with luxurious, oily goodness. I had a taste from the 7yo in the store that convinced me to buy it, and it has the same oiliness.

High quality malts at young ages are a real blessing on my wallet in a world full of well-aged whisky that has a tendency to break the bank.

I had a nice pour of the sauternes finished CI I mentioned earlier in the thread last night, and man did I enjoy it. I have a CS 1B 7yo that I have yet to open, perhaps I'll have to do so this week. A lot of malts are quite oily at CS and UCF (ok so this goes for whiskey in general), and CI is no exception; this one is brimming with luxurious, oily goodness. I had a taste from the 7yo in the store that convinced me to buy it, and it has the same oiliness.

High quality malts at young ages are a real blessing on my wallet in a world full of well-aged whisky that has a tendency to break the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

NAS Caol Ila "Natural Cask Strength" @ 58% (thx to the generous SB'r for the sample) - wow this is a stunner... I'm starting to understand the appeal of young CI.

I think I might prefer this to the Lagavulin 12's I've tasted.

• 2 months later...

Is that the stitchelle reserve? I am not a fan of peat, but like whats behind the 12 yr caol ila, just not sure if i want to drop $100+ on a nas scotch without some solid sb reccomendations...

Is that the stitchelle reserve? I am not a fan of peat, but like whats behind the 12 yr caol ila, just not sure if i want to drop $100+ on a nas scotch without some solid sb reccomendations...

The Natural Cask Strength line is typically peated I believe. The NAS Stitchell Reserve is the newest version of the unpeated line (although it still has light wisps of smoke and peat) but I haven't seen it for under $100. Prior to that the last unpeated version in 2012 was unusual because it was a 14yo from ex-sherry casks. 2011 was a more typical but well reviewed 12yo ex bourbon cask version. Both were at or below $100 if you can still find them at MSRP. Or find them at all for that matter!

I would buy them if I saw them at or near $100.

Negative DrBob. Mine came from a 200ml sample from a generous SB'r:

11259829726_0e17069509_z.jpg

Link to this bottle in WhiskyBase: http://www.whiskybase.com/whisky/33773

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.