Cask strength scotch/irish offerings

MtnDew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There has been some talk lately about cask strength scotch and irish whisk(e)ys and I wanted some help from you folks getting an idea just what there is available out there in this category. However, I'm mostly interested in the sub $100 range to make it gentler on the pocket book. I know there are plenty of single barrel offerings from independent bottlers and those are fun (I love the AD Rattray and Duncan Taylor bottles) but I'm looking for OB offerings, though if there are CS IB generally available for less than $100 I'm all ears.

So far the most commonly mentioned seemed to be:

Scotch

Aberlour A'bunadh

Macallan CS

Irish

Redbreast CS

Any other available CS out there for cheapish?

Thanks!

Connemara CS

Glenfarclas 105

Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan

Glenlivet Nadurra

Lagavulin 12 Year

Nice, lots of good choices here. I completely forgot about Nadurra which was my first ever high proof whisky and I remember it being quite good. The rest... I have not tried any of them yet and that includes the Laphroaig CS. I'm going to have to do some digging...

Springbank 12 CS

Glenmorangie Astar (discontinued, but still out there)

Auchentoshan Valinch

Glendronach, Glengoyne and Caol Ila all do CS, but I don't think any are available in the US.

Edited by Yeti

Cask strength, or really any significant proof above 100, has never really been a strength of Irish whiskey. Redbreast and the the odd (to me) peated Connemara are probably the two most readily available.

The Irishman has put out a cask strength version on occasion but it is not readily available. Like the rest of the line The Irishmen has been updated in appearance recently and looks different than it used to.

post-8493-14489819942494_thumb.jpg

Writers Tears did a special edition cask strength at 104 proof last year but I don't think it is in the States. Kind of a pricey and from the same people who produce the Irishman. I would presume these are both Middleton whiskey like Redbreast but they have been pretty closed mouth about the source in the past.

post-8493-14489819942749_thumb.png

Lagavulin 12yo CS goes for $90 here. Personally, I prefer it to the 16, which is $10 cheaper.

Glenfarclas 105 is $80. It's 120°, so pretty much CS.

Springbank and Longrow have released a number of CS offering under $100, all finished and/or aged in different kinds of barrels. The latest ones seem to clock in > $100, but in the past they were mostly in the $80 range.

I've had a number of Binny's barrels from various IBs in the < $100 range, many of which are still around. PM for details if you're thinking of placing an order and they ship to you.

Wow, there are more than I thought out there under that $100 mark. On my list to try are:

Anything Springbank

Glenfarclas 105

Auchentoshan Valinch

And maybe one of those Longrows.

Too bad pretty much none of those are available locally, though the prices would likely be quite high even if they were.

A bit like American NDP's they can't, or won't, say. My presumption has long been Middleton. It is triple distilled which I think Cooley doesn't generally do and Bushmills doesn't do much if any pot still whiskey. Pretty much only leaves Middleton which does a lot of pot still whiskey and is doing more every day.

Makes sense - thanks for the info. I like the Powers and Redbreast lines, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Lagavulin 12 is one of my very favorites. I think it's definitely better than the 16 although, that's just my opinion.

Lagavulin 12 is one of my very favorites. I think it's definitely better than the 16 although, that's just my opinion.

I'm not really and islay guy, but I thought the Lag 12 CS was pretty darn tasty.

Tullamore Dew also just recently released a 110 proof whiskey called Phoenix to commemorate the building of their new distillery in Tullamore. It is a grain/malt/pot still blend. Higher proof but not necessarily CS although it is NCF. It is in the States in at least some markets but I haven't yet seen it locally so far.

Bruichladdich (some) Port Charlotte & Octomore

Highland Park Valhalla & Magnus series

Glendronach Single Casks (brown tube/boxes)

Edited by ChainWhip

Bruichladdich (some) Port Charlotte & Octomore

Highland Park Valhalla & Magnus series

Glendronach Single Casks (brown tube/boxes)

The Glendronach single casks are less than $100? I may have to pick your brain on where to find those.

I know Octomore is far above that $100 mark...

The Glendronach single casks are less than $100? I may have to pick your brain on where to find those.

I know Octomore is far above that $100 mark...

There's a 15yr that's below $100. Oops on the Octomore ;-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.